Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering 2mg Klonopin

[Fl...]

I got a panic attack last month August 25 and was prescribed Klonopin alongside Zoloft since the doctor suspected depression too. He scheduled me to reduce to 1mg within a week and therefter less by 0.5. And finally 0.25.Upon reaching 0.25 I woke at 2am with a panic attack. The next day he updosed me to 2mg again (after 3wks of the above first attempt). I have taken the Klonopin for 1 week at 2mg each night but want to taper off safety (he had suggested the earlier plan that didn't work!). Please help me with some advice. Am in Africa and the doctors here don't seem to know about tapering.

I will be grateful for your support.

Hello @[Fl...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

What dose are your Klonopin pills?

An accelerated taper after short term use generally makes sense. But individuals can react differently. Are you continuing to take Zoloft?

I am at 100mg Zoloft. I am continuing the Zoloft because I feel it helps(am on week 4 for it) I tried to do a self taper of 0.25 after a whole week of 2mg but woke with hot and cold feeling with dizziness.

Edited by [Fl...]

Hi @[Fl...]

Zoloft might well be helping you with your panic attacks. It seems that it typically take 4-6 weeks of use before it becomes effective. So maybe your withdrawal this time will go more smoothly.

Benzodiazepines, although often work very well in the shorter term, they are generally poor treatments for anxiety and panic in the longer term. Dependency upon benzodiazepines can begin to develop within a few weeks for some people. So it would seem to make sense to get off before dependency develops.

After short term use of benzodiazepines, it is usual to taper off at an accelerated pace. Because even while tapering off, dependency can develop or deepen. Frankly, your doctor wishing to withdraw you sooner rather than later makes a lot of sense to me.

Perhaps you could discuss with your doctor about possibly delaying your taper just a little to give a chance for the Zoloft to take more/full effect. Irrespective, as I wrote before, this time round, withdrawal from Klonopin might go more smoothly for you.

I should make clear that I have no personal experience with any antidepressants. Hopefully some other members with experience of antidepressants/Zoloft will chip in here too.