Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I need help getting of klonopin!

[Jo...]

redeven I seen a urologist, neurologist, endocrinologist, and and I saw a rheumatologist just the other day. They haven’t found anything!

Edited by [Jo...]

20 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Oh, no jelly baby, I was taking 0.5 per day for 3 months then I started taking 0.25 everyday since last week. But, going down like that sent my body into shock I had a really bad anxiety attack. While at the same time my muscle started cramping up and left cramped up completely. It has gotten worse since then.

This is what I've been trying to determine - your timeline of reductions. You've made a 50% reduction in dose in one week. We generally recommend cuts of no more than 5-10% every two weeks or so. If you feel your symptoms are too bad and too difficult to manage, you might want to consider going back to 0.5mg per day. Then you once you've stabilized, you can start a slower taper from there. Otherwise you can try and tough it out at 0.25mg for now.

@[Jo...] Do you still have a prescription for clonazepam? What dosage? Do you have any left? How much? When is your next refill? I hope you're not swiping it from your Mom or buying it on the street.

There is a kind of doctor that specializes in muscle problems, called a physiatrist. You might look for one of those.

I'm not so sure we should be helping you come off the clonazepam until you're sure it's ok to do that, considering your entire medical picture.

@[Jo...]

Here's my opinion about what you should do, for what it's worth.

1. I think you should go back on the clonazepam at the prescribed dosage.
  2. Then, if you want to come off the clonazepam, you should work out a plan with a doctor to deal with the pelvic floor and other muscle issues without the clonazepam.
  3. After you have such a plan in place, then you can start tapering off the clonazepam, at whatever rate avoids horrific symptoms.

You have to remember that you were put on clonazepam because of a specific medical issue. You have to deal with that medical issue first, before you taper off the clonazepam. It may be that the pelvic floor pain can be treated without taking clonazepam. I have the impression that it can be treated without taking clonazepam - but I'm not a doctor. If you don't trust your current doctor, find one you can trust. The point is, there was a reason you were put on the clonazepam, and you have to deal with that medical issue.

I think there's been too much prescriptive posting in this topic.

• Like 1

Thank you, so much you guys for helping me! 

Oddly enough, redevan the rheumatologist asked me if I was experiencing pins and needles in my pelvic floor and I said yes. I was getting those sensation down there before I was put on klonopin. And the doctor said that is a medical emergency and I could develop Cauda Equine syndrome. I got an x-ray that same day. we will go on forward and get an MRI as well.

On 01/10/2023 at 08:21, [[J...] said:

Thank you, so much you guys for helping me! 

Oddly enough, redevan the rheumatologist asked me if I was experiencing pins and needles in my pelvic floor and I said yes. I was getting those sensation down there before I was put on klonopin. And the doctor said that is a medical emergency and I could develop Cauda Equine syndrome. I got an x-ray that same day. we will go on forward and get an MRI as well.

OK, Joshua. Here's what I think you're telling us:

1. Before you ever took Klonopin, you were experiencing pins and needles in your pelvic floor.
  2. So then you saw a doctor, because of the pins and needles, and also pelvic floor pain.
  3. That doctor put you on Klonopin.
  4. And as far as you know, that doctor wants you to keep taking the Klonopin.
  5. What kind of doctor was that doctor?

Then, a few replies back, you said this:

On 30/09/2023 at 17:41, [[J...] said:

redeven I seen a urologist, neurologist, endocrinologist, and and I saw a rheumatologist just the other day. They haven’t found anything!

1. Is this the rheumatologist who said you might develop cauda equina syndrome?
  2. Which doctor scheduled you for the x-ray and the MRI?
  3. Did you discuss cauda equina syndrome with any of the other doctors?
  4. Did you ask any of these doctors whether your leg weakness could be a symptom of cauda equina syndrome?
  5. Did any of these doctors definitively rule out cauda equina syndrome?
  6. Was one of these doctors the same doctor you saw the first time, the doctor who prescribed Klonopin?
  7. Did you discuss your problems with Klonopin with any of these doctors?
  8. Did you tell any of these doctors that you were trying to stop taking Klonopin?

As for cauda equina syndrome, here are the so-called "red flag" symptoms of cauda equina syndrome:

• Urinary retention: the most common symptom. The patient’s bladder fills with urine, but the patient does not experience the normal sensation or urge to urinate.
  • Urinary and/or fecal incontinence. The overfull bladder can result in incontinence of urine. Incontinence of stool can occur due to dysfunction of the anal sphincter.
  • “Saddle anethesia” sensory disturbance, which can involve the anus, genitals and buttock region.
  • Weakness or paralysis of usually more than one nerve root. The weakness can affect lower extremities.
  • Pain in the back and/or legs (also known as sciatica).
  • Sexual dysfunction.

1. Have you experienced any of those symptoms?
  2. Have such symptoms worsened since you started cutting down on your Klonopin dosage?
  3. You mentioned recent weakness in the legs. Did you ask a doctor if that might be a symptom of cauda equina syndrome

One other detail confuses me. In your opening post you said that the first doctor you saw prescribed 0.5mg Klonopin 3 times a day. Then you said that you started taking 0.5mg in the morning and 0.5mg in the evening. But that's only twice a day, Joshua.
Why did you decide before you even started taking it that you would take it only twice a day instead of the prescribed 3 times a day?

As you can see, it's a bit more complicated than simply tapering off of Klonopin.
Looking forward to your reply, Joshua. :thumbsup:

Edited by [re...]

On 30/09/2023 at 23:44, [[r...] said:

@[Jo...]

Here's my opinion about what you should do, for what it's worth.

1. I think you should go back on the clonazepam at the prescribed dosage.
  2. Then, if you want to come off the clonazepam, you should work out a plan with a doctor to deal with the pelvic floor and other muscle issues without the clonazepam.
  3. After you have such a plan in place, then you can start tapering off the clonazepam, at whatever rate avoids horrific symptoms.

You have to remember that you were put on clonazepam because of a specific medical issue. You have to deal with that medical issue first, before you taper off the clonazepam. It may be that the pelvic floor pain can be treated without taking clonazepam. I have the impression that it can be treated without taking clonazepam - but I'm not a doctor. If you don't trust your current doctor, find one you can trust. The point is, there was a reason you were put on the clonazepam, and you have to deal with that medical issue.

I think there's been too much prescriptive posting in this topic.

Hi I'm new here just have a question to ask when you taper do you take the tapered dose till the next time you taper I'm abit dim in all this I've been on1mg of clonazapam for 6,years my gp won't help me off it.. I've reduced by a quarter of 0.5 tablet feel dreadful I've got 1 3/4 left to taper how long should I allow 

Thanks🧜‍♀️