Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I need help getting of klonopin!

[Jo...]

I have been taking klonopin since last year. I was prescribed 0.5mg of k to use as a muscle relaxant and was told to take it 3 times a day by my health care provider. I started taking 0.5 mg in the morning and 0.5mg in the evening every day. Over time I believe I developed a tolerance, so started taking medication from my mom, she takes 1mg occasionally for her restless legs. So, I started taking 2mg per day, Some times even 3mg per day. My mom eventually caught on to this and she told me to lower my dosage, and take two 0.5mg a day. So I started doing that for little while, but I don’t remember how long I did it for? Then, I started taking one a day for three months. This is started noticing some weird stuff. I began to experience sensation such as burning, stinging, or pins and needles in my legs. I was taken to see multiple doctor and none of them could found why I was having these sensations. During this period I was taken off klonopin a few times do to my moms fear that it might be the drug. Because of this back in forth, I  believe I developed muscle weakness in my legs. So I was put back on klonopin I could feel better. But, that wasn’t the case at all! I started noticing my leg and back muscles were starting to get stiff. I also noticed that I would check out mentally if I don’t take the drug. I also started walking slower because of this and back hunched over. It is actually crippling on certain days. It is so strange! I really don’t know if this was to harsh of a taper or not?

No, I am still on 0.25 mg of klonopin every other day or every day for two weeks. But, it is getting pretty rough for me I am 23 years old, I have job and I go to college I never thought I would deal with something thing like this. I really need help to get my life back together. And I know it is going to be a slow recovery.

Edited by [Jo...]

I'm so sorry for what you're going through @[Jo...]. I'm not sure I understand your dosing schedule. Can you explain that again please? You said sometimes you take 0.25mg every day or every second day every two weeks. Then what about the next two weeks? 

I can’t really decide rather I won’t to take it everyday or every other day? The next two weeks I am going to down to 0.125 or is that to little of a dose? But, like  I said it is getting rough for me. A specially today I was walking fine just yesterday but, I am hunched unable to move around. This is after I took 0.25 dose I don’t feel any better.

How much you reduce your dose by all depends on your symptoms. If you've been on Klonopin for a year, it's enough time to develop physical dependence. When you say you are unable to move does that mean you stay in bed the whole day? Are you having other symptoms as well?

1 minute ago, [[J...] said:

I took it for pelvic floor pain but, And clearly it made things worse. And my doctor is a complete idiot!

I think we must have the same doctor. :D

Maybe we do redeeven?🤨

jelly baby I honestly don’t know when I was put back on it. Everything is blur when I try to think about it. I do know that it was 4 days out before I was put back on it.

Edited by [Jo...]

10 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Maybe we do redeeven?🤨

jelly baby I honestly don’t know when I put back on it. Everything is blur when I try to think about it. I do know that it was 4 days out before I was put back on it.

Do you know what month that was?

It certainly sounds like your dependant. If I read this right you're jumping around in dosage alot too.

Pick an amount and take the same time every day. The lower amount you can handle the shorter time it will be to taper off.

Research tapering on this site. Others here are very versed in tapering.

If done it properly, it's not too terrible.

Good luck to you

Edited by [...]
Fix

I clear can’t handle 0.25 it is killing me physically, and mentally! And my parents are the reason why I was jumping doses a lot. My parents just threaten about throwing away the pills!

Edited by [Jo...]

You went from a high dose to a very low dose in a very short amount of time. It's what we call a rapid taper. I'm trying to establish if you've had time to adjust to this new dose. If this happened in August you might not have had time to adjust. If this happened in June, then 3 months will be enough time to have adjusted to 0.25mg. 

1 hour ago, [[J...] said:

A specially today I was walking fine just yesterday but, I am hunched unable to move around. This is after I took 0.25 dose I don’t feel any better.

You said you don't feel better after taking your dose of 0.25mg today. Did you take this dose yesterday as well?

Oh, no jelly baby, I was taking 0.5 per day for 3 months then I started taking 0.25 everyday since last week. But, going down like that sent my body into shock I had a really bad anxiety attack. While at the same time my muscle started cramping up and left cramped up completely. It has gotten worse since then.

Tomorrow's Sunday. Try to give .25 one more day. If you still can't function try.33 a day. I wouldn't  want go all the way back up to .5 if possible.

6 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Oh, no jelly baby, I was taking 0.5 per day for 3 months then I started taking 0.25 everyday since last week. But, going down like that sent my body into shock I had a really bad anxiety attack. While at the same time my muscle started cramping up and left cramped up completely. It has gotten worse since then.

Now wait a sec. You started out taking 0.5mg per day, but it seems like you developed a tolerance to that, and you took extra, sometimes 2mg/day, sometimes as much as 3mg/day. And that's a whole different picture of your situation. If you want to taper off the clonazepam, you have to go much more slowly, since you were already having symptoms of tolerance withdrawal.

But my question is, do you really want to taper off the clonazepam? What about the pelvic floor pain? How are you going to treat that? And I find this muscle weakness and hunching over a bit strange. I don't believe I've seen that before.