Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Charles - My Favourite SONGS

[Re...]

Sorry to hear of your bad day Miss Violet.  I know how even little things that go wrong and require me to make phone calls or fix something or do any sort of demanding chore can make for a very bad and tiring day.  Rest up and I do hope you can get your car fixed without too much expense or hassle.

Regarding my aunt:  she moved to Italy a few years before WWII broke out to study opera.  After being there a while she met an Italian and married him.  Then the war broke out and becasue she was married to an Italian and because the  fascist government was no longer letting people leave she was stuck in Italy for the duration of the war and couldn't get out (even though she was an American citizen).  I don't know any more details than that but that's what my mother told me happened.  Her Italian husband got drafted into the Italian army and she spent the war mostly by herself in a small town near the Swiss border. I don't know how she came to be involved in the underground (another piece of the family history I wasn't told about and that is now lost to me).

My guess is that my aunt could have escaped across the border herself but probably didn't because it would have meant abandoning her husband and he and his family would have been subjected to brutal treatment.  Just a guess, but an educated one.

She never got to sing opera on the stage.  I only met her twice but she was a very nice person and quite sophisticated, especially for someone who grew up in rural Georgia in the early 1900's.  She lived to be 96.

John

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Re...]

• [Ma...]

• [...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for elaborating on your family story and for your kind words for me.

i greatly admire those that went underground like your aunt, helping people escape.

car is with mechanic - got it towed to him, all by phone. you are right, simplify

the day is the helpful way. v.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ilE32OyHb8&feature=related

john

v. much enjoyed the jethro tull song.

got me looking at some interviews of ian. nice distraction.

two things about him 1. clearly a public school boy from england!

2. and a member of the ministry of silly walks. see early part of above. its a no brainer.

v.

Glad you liked Ian and the lads.  He would have flunked the interview for the job at the Ministry, though, as one can plainly see that his silly walk is much like the one by the interviewee.  Good thing he could play some instruments.  And while his MBE doesn't make him a knight, I'd call him Sir should I ever meet him.

And maybe you can answer a question I've always had:  why do the English call their private schools "public" ?  Seems rather imprecise at best.

I do hope your day improves.

Your bud,

John

My pleasure Miss Viloet.  I do hope tomorrow proves to be more tolerable (at a minimum).

So, J, I hope I haven't unmeaningfully soured our relationship (not sure how to put it;  maybe 'killed our conversation' is closer).  I hope not but I know I can come off a bit over-the-top sometimes.  I also hope you aren't having a really hard time.  We're your buds if you need some support.

John

Hi John

I have been having some real life issues I am struggling with which are temporary. You have always been very courteous towards me and a real gentleman. As I mentioned before I believe, I am not really much of a conversationalist unless I am in that particular mood. I have been enjoying reading you and violets' conversations about your families history.

I did want to ask you what you thought about Van Morisons interview wherein he was asked at one point about whether he was excited about any of the music being produced today and he said no. The reason he said he felt that way was because everything has already been done. Not exactly sure what he meant. Don't even know whether I agree or not.

My favorite album he did was Astral Weeks quite a few years ago.

I always considered him mostly a poet on this album as it evokes a great deal of feeling in me. Mostly a sort of archetypal (sp?)melancholia, the images come through with a specific sort of ambiance which makes me feel I have lived the pictures and emotions he generates. Not "blues", not rock, or country , I guess one would have to categorize this particular album as a form of jazz. Not sure though.

I will post a couple videos that really form pictures for me and I will include the lyrics, as the way he sings  (I believe his Scottish accent make it hard to understand in spots) I think he is Scottish though I could be wrong.

Maybe it is just the way he sings. (er ..mumbles)

Anyway here we go.

Lyrics to Beside You :

Little Jimmy's gone

Way out of the backstreet

Out of the window

Through the fallin' rain

Right on time

Right on time

That's why Broken Arrow

Waved his finger down the road so dark and narrow

In the evenin'

Just before the Sunday six-bells chime, six-bells chime

And all the dogs are barkin'

Way on down the diamond-studded highway where you wander

And you roam from your retreat and view

Way over on the railroad

Tomorrow all the tippin' trucks will unload

Every scrapbook stuck will glue

And I'll stand beside you

Beside you child

To never never never wonder why at all

No no no no no no no no

To never never wonder why at all

To never never never wonder why it's gotta be

It has to be

Way across the country where the hillside mountain glide

The dynamo of your smile caressed the barefoot virgin child to wander

Past your window with a lantern lit

You held it in the doorway and you cast against the pointed island breeze

Said your time was open, go well on your merry way

Past the brazen footsteps of the silence easy

You breathe in you breathe out you breathe in you breathe out you breath in

you breathe out you breathe in you breathe out

And you're high on your high-flyin' cloud

Wrapped up in your magic shroud as ecstasy surrounds you

This time it's found you

You turn around you turn around you turn around you turn around

And I'm beside you

Beside you

Oh darlin'

No no no no no

To never never never wonder why at all

To never never never wonder why it's gotta be

It has to be

And I'm beside you

Beside you

Oh child

I'm beside you

Beside you

Beside you

Beside you

Oh child

Lyrics to Cyprus Avenue - You Came Walking Down :

And I'm caught one more time

Up on Cyprus Avenue

And I'm caught one more time

Up on Cyprus Avenue

And I'm conquered in a car seat

Not a thing that I can do

I may go crazy

Before that mansion on the hill

I may go crazy

Before that mansion on the hill

But my heart keeps beating faster

And my feet can't keep still

And all the little girls rhyme something

On the way back home from school

And all the little girls rhyme something

On the way back home from school

And the leaves fall one by one by one by one

Call the autumn time a fool

Yeah baby my tongue gets tied

Every every every time I try to speak

My tongue gets tied

Every time I try to speak

And my inside shakes just like a leaf on a tree

I think I'll go on by the river with my cherry cherry wine

I believe I'll go walking by the railroad with my cherry cherry wine

If I pass the rumbling station where the lonesome engine drivers pine

And wait a minute, yonder comes my lady

Rainbow ribbons in her hair

Yonder comes my lady

Rainbow ribbons in her hair

Six white horses and a carriage

She's returning from the fair

Baby, baby, baby

And if I'm caught one more time

Up on Cyprus Avenue

And if I'm caught one more time

Up on Cyprus Avenue

And I'm conquered in a car seat

And I'm looking straight at you

Way up on, way up on, way up on....

The avenue of trees

Keep walking down

In the wind and the rain, darling

You keep walking down when the sun shone through the trees

Nobody, no, no, no, nobody stops me from loving you baby

So young and bold, fourteen years old

Baby, baby, baby...

Ooooh-ee

Maybe it is Rock or folk rock don't know, certainly unique to me though. Probably either one likes his stuff a lot or not at all.

He also did this commercially successful song as you no doubt are familiar with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVAnlke_xUY

J

What do you think John? i bolded a couple of lines in each song that moved me particularly. Or I felt were rather gutsy like in this last song Cypress ave.

Here's last one with Dylan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMJABF060h8&feature=related

J

I'm glad to know we're still OK, but sorry to hear that you are struggling.  Life can be so hard sometimes.  Music is one of the things that makes that easier for me.  You did say you weren't usually up for two-way conversation (and I should have remembered that) so I won't expect that from you and if I ramble on don't feel you need to comment back.  Deal ?

I've always liked Van.  I think he's Irish, actually, but I wouldn't put a five dollar bet on it; have to look it up.

I think his voice has sort of a R&B feel, maybe in the Otis Redding zone a bit.  Of the ones you posted I liked Cypress Avenue the best.  Has more of a soulful feel to me but mellowed a bit with the flute in the background.  Very nice.  Its been a long time since I've heard any of the stuff off his earlier albums.  As to his comment about it all having been done before, I'm not sure if I agree exactly.  Most music has roots, and maybe that's what he meant, but I'd say there's new good stuff being made (but to paraphrase Bill Clinton, it depends on how you define "new").  Hmmmmm ....

I've never cared for Dylan though.  He's written a lot of great material and I like covers done by others of his stuff but there's just something about his voice and vocal style that I find grating.  That's probably close to sacrilege for many people but that's the way it is.  I wish I did like him 'cause he's everywhere.

Be well and post when you feel like it.

John

Here's one that expresses a bit of how I feel about keepin ya'll posting here.  Jackson and a few friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECl8I-nSFbg&feature=fvw

And speaking of Irishmen, here's a guy you may not have heard of but who has written a lot of great songs.  This one is one of my fav's and is a bit unusual, I think.  I liked your posting of lyrics, J, so I'll add the last verse here which talks to me:

Don't start to hit me with your no can do;

bluesin' losin' workin' up an attitude.

Clean up them windows let the sun shine through;

Uh Huh

There ain't no happy time without pain;

heartbreak new date move on up the alleyway.

Pick up them pieces hit the road again

Uh Huh

The world is what you make it

John

hello john and john,

ah john, you just bumped my message off. that's what happens when we send post at same time!! no prob. i'll say again, VAN IS IRISH MOST DEFINITELY. astral weeks one of my favorite albums ever, esp 'astral weeks'. don't want to go down that memory lane though. much prefer his earlier stuff.

very busy with a friend helping me around the place. had to stop by and remind you both that i still

live on this thread with you :)

love v. (we finally got summer up here. ) i wonder where you live j? i can just wonder, that's fine :)

Hey John,

Don't worry about me going anywhere my friend. I plan on being around posting and listening till I cross some line and am booted off.

J

Glad you are still our bud, Miss Violet (and J).  Sounds like your day is maybe a bit better than yesterday and that makes me glad.

Couldn't help it; had to post this one.  My favorite  .... and can't you hear Van doing this (with a brogue) ?

By the way, as is my habit, here's some musical trivia:  this was released after his death and the female backup singers were pasted in.

John

OMG, another 30 sec visit.

i can hardly wait to sit down and listen to all the music you've posted today. all stuff i've really enjoyed. i cracked up just watching the first 10 secs of talking heads. really,  john cleese must have initiated them into the hall of sillywalks . SILLY WALKS....TALKING HEADS...kinda go together don't they? ok i've got to post a song now. one of my all time favorites. coming up

Now that brings back some memories, indeed Miss V.  That was the era I most liked for the Dead, too.  

I don't know why, but thinking of the old Dead stuff made me think of these guys and this is one of my favorites (although not one of their really big hits):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kopNfhvCkHU

John

alas, now i forget all the songs.......

j - into the mystic, there's a beauty and yes, cypress avenue he was bold talking about his 14 year old love.

john you are so right about van and otis. they could sing each other's songs well.

oh and glad to see your spellcheck kicked in :thumbsup: john!!! :)

i'll see if i can find one of my very very special songs. v.

j. hope you are getting through okay :)

I look forward to the next postings.  Yeah, I had to go back and correct that Miss V. - benzo brain ya know (I had hoped nobody saw it; too late).

Speaking of the Irish and soul music, did you ever see the movie The Commitments ?  If you like movies and R&B or soul music (e.g. Wilson Pickett) and you've never seen it its worth a rent.  Old now, but a very good music movie still.

In short, its about some Irish young folks from a working class neighborhood (I think in Belfast but maybe not; doesn't really matter) who decide to form a soul band.  They are all talented but don't have the organizational skills to really get it together until a somewhat mysterious American guy shows up in response to their newspaper ad.  Turns out he actually played with Wilson Pickett and he organizes them into a real group.  I won't reveal any more except to say that there's some excellent music scenes and it is a multi-level story with some humor, some tragedy, and character development.  Don't rent it, though, if you don't like R&B.  Just thought I'd mention it for some reason.  I find that I watch a lot of movies now that I don't get out as much as I once did; maybe ya'll are the same.

John

Just jumped on to add my Commitments comment and saw your post Miss V.  I liked that one; very nice harmonies.  The video reminds me a bit of some of the benzo dreams I have.  Gotta go now - mother-in-law is coming to dinner and I have domestic drudgery to perform.

Later,

John

Hi V, John and all

Miss V your posting of Peter Gabriel & Sinead O'Connor - Blood Of Eden made me think of this song by Harry Belafonte. I was in elementary school when this came out so you know it must be quite some time ago.

J

Violet, this is such a beautiful rendition of the AVE Maria by Rosa Ponselle and the violin intro is very special.

I would even go so far as placing Rosa above Maria Callas do to her beautiful powerful voice in this prayer/song.

IMHO  

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt345/JohnE_photo/fairy/Clip.jpg

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt345/JohnE_photo/fairy/Clip_2-1.jpg

I found her youtube biography very interesting Violet I think you might also, if you are not familiar with her extremely impressive history.

J