Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Charles - My Favourite SONGS

[Re...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlumIElHM-8

john, speaking of 'a voice in the wilderness', check this out...........

i was 10 years old when i loved cliff richard,

14 years old when i fell in love with the beatles, saw them in london, stood on my chair and screamed  :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

I was in front of my parents TV watching the Ed Sullivan show like John was, although I was  screaming at the top of my lungs.  Gives me chills just remembering the intensity of those pre-teen emotions.  :yippee:

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Re...]

• [Ma...]

• [...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

that joe cocker one gave me the best belly laughter i've had for weeks. thankyou sooo much john :thumbsup:

pam isn't that something that the beatles 'on tv screen' evoked those teenage screams!!! i had a little record player in those days that i carried everywhere i went with some beatles 45's so i could swoon whenever :smitten:

the next one i'm going to post. well if someone doesn't like it, please don't tell me or i might cry. pam i think you might like this. he died very young of a drowning accident. i love leonard forever, and this is my favorite cover of

this song.........

I'm so jealous. The closest I ever got to the Beatles was to see them on the Ed Sullivan show (and I had to pester my parents to let me see it; they were a bad influnce on American youth, you know).  Did you throw jelly beans ?  Lucky girl.  I did get to see the Stones some years later.  They were raw and really good then.  So was I, come to think of it.

Joe Cocker - yes indeedee.  I saw him when he did the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour and he was great (but he got screwed on that one financially by Leon Russell).  I hope you don't get me wrong on this one, but have you seen this ?  Its pretty funny, but be sure to hit the little X down at the right-hand side (next to the text "ads by Google"  so you kill the advertisement box that comes up on the bottom as you need to see the "lyrics."  I loved Joe.  A really soulful guy.  A great example of you Brits understanding and re-introducing us to our own music (as with the Stones and Eric, et. al.).

John

The best part about this video is you can enjoy his music and get a laugh at the same time.  I have a question though, when I was younger I just assumed he had a condition that made him jerk around like that, did he or was that just his style?

that joe cocker one gave me the best belly laughter i've had for weeks. thankyou sooo much john :thumbsup:

pam isn't that something that the beatles 'on tv screen' evoked those teenage screams!!! i had a little record player in those days that i carried everywhere i went with some beatles 45's so i could swoon whenever :smitten:

the next one i'm going to post. well if someone doesn't like it, please don't tell me or i might cry. pam i think you might like this. he died very young of a drowning accident. i love leonard forever, and this is my favorite cover of

this song.........

It's beautiful violet, how sad he had to die so young, so much talent.

The term beauty was sung about above.

And made me think of this song by one of our former culture changing San Francisco bands, Jefferson Airplane. I saw them at a couple of free concerts one in "the city" and once in LA Ca. I even went to a pay concert once but the free concerts were much better. More rough, I think is the way John might describe it. Every body thought she was a real dream boat. For a while there was a sort of rivalry between her and Janis in the "Haight" among various fans. Not regarding beauty as Grace was very pretty in her "hey day," but about popularity. But Grace did have a sort of princess quality about her and Janis seemed more a child of the street in comparison. Not that one need make comparisons anyway. But there you have it.  Here is a song about "feeling pretty" that came to mind I thought I would share.  I am certain most of you are likely to be familiar with the tune and have probably guessed it already. No video but the audio is good  and it has a little bio of Grace. Hard to believe she  has past the BIG "70" in years.

J

Nice cover of Leonard Cohen, Violet.  I'm not real familiar with Jeff Buckley's stuff, although I have heard of him.  I'll check out his material now.  I personally liked Martin Sexton's cover of this tune.  Ever heard of him ?  He's really good (didn't have the time or patience right now to hunt down any video) and has a three octave vocal range.  He tours the NW a lot so if you ever see him listed somplace you can get to, go.  You won't be disappointed.

J - I liked the Airplane back in the day, too.  As a teenager in Ann Arbor, MI I used to listen to their records over and over.  I wonder whatever happend to their first female vocalist (don't remember her name right now, but she was on their first album) ?  I think about people like that who quit bands that later became million-sellers (like the drummer for the Beatles before Ringo).  Do they kick themselves or consider themselves lucky to have escaped all the s... that comes with the buisiness.  I'm not sure how I'd feel in their shoes.  Jorma has a great guitar camp in Ohio now and does a lot of seminars.  Its a bit far for me but I'd like to meet him 'cause he does a lot of old, acoustic, finger style blues stuff now.

No, Pam, Joe didn't have any condition.  I thought the same thing, but have read that that isn't the case.  Just how he felt like moving I guess.  Maybe drugs played a part in that; certainly did for many.  Did you ever see the Saturday Night Live show where Joe was the musical guest and  Belushi came out during his first number and did a perfect parody of him as he was performing ?  It was funny, but I thought also tasteless and over the top.  Joe's just fine as far as I know, although his career has pretty much fizzled.  I imagine he lives well, though, off the royalties anyway.

I'm glad ya'll enjoyed the Joe "interpretation."  I was a bit worried that ya'll might not take it the right way.

G'Night everybody.

John

I still love to watch the Blues Brothers movie, it cracks me up, your link reminds me of it!  Hey, Grace Slick wasn't Jefferson Airplanes first female vocalist?

Yeah, I liked the Blues Brothers too.  Belushi was the best.  After I posted it was driving me crazy that I couldn't remember the name of the Airplane's first vocalist so I dug through my old vinyl collection (yep, still got a turntable and all) and found their first album.  Her name was Signe Toly Anderson.  I don't think she lasted very long but she was the first.  They weren't really a psychedelic band on that first album; folkie rock sort of stuff, a little like Mamas and Papas material but not as good (in my opinion, of course).

I was going to spend some time going through my CD's to see what I might be able to find Youtubes for and that folks might not be familiar with.  My memory is so bad now I have to do it that way instead of just being able to come up with a list.  Maddening.

Before I try and negotiate Youtube for all of what I come up with, is anyone out there ?  Am I wasting my time ?  Other than J and Miss Violet does anybody lurk here who might find new posts interesting ?  Come out, come out wherever you are.  I don't want to be like some old drunk ranting on the street corner (and if I am already you could save me from further ranting by dropping a hint).

Later.

John

my friends,

i'm going through something weird where i want to law low for a while, so i may not be around our cozy fire site for a bit. see you later, love violet.

I grew up listening to musical show tunes, I'd prance around my house singing at the top of my lungs, performing for my Mother tunes from Oklahoma, Mary Poppins and the Sound of Music.  My Father listened exclusively to classical, so when I introduced rock and roll into the household, it wasn't met with much enthusiasm.  By the way, caught your comments on the Rock and Roll Show thread.... ::)

my friends,

i'm going through something weird where i want to law low for a while, so i may not be around our cozy fire site for a bit. see you later, love violet.

Perfectly understandable Violet, take care.  :smitten:

I understand Miss Violet but I'm gonna miss you.  You take care of yourself, though.  Thanks for having shared with me.

John

After reading the threads about reading (isn't that interesting) and music and how folks can't do these things now I think I've answered my own question and think I won't waste my time looking through CDs and for Youtubes.  Its been fun for me to do this but I can see that my intuition that almost nobody was out there was correct.  So I think I'm done with this.  My best to J and Miss Violet and Pamster (and to any who may have lurked a bit).

John

i had to check back in ;)

i'm thinking of starting a new off topic thread, but for now it may be best for me to get more into the place where everyone is. i have loved these last few days of music and conversation, and thrilled to have you three as my friends.  :smitten: miss violet (john i may have to change my name courtesy of you!) can that be done?

Well John,

I have enjoyed much of the music you have posted and expanded my musical horizons as well. That is not to say that I care for all the music that you appreciate. But where you and I differ perhaps is that I post music because it is something I enjoy doing, and  I do it primarily for my own pleasure. If you look back in this thread you will see that for some time I was the only one posting here at all for a certain period of time. I could look  at the number of people viewing so I knew I wasn't completely alone. But I don't even really care if I was. It was rare that anyone responded. I wasn't posting for responses. As I said it was/is fun for me to post these music videos they are tunes that mean something to me, or songs i like for who knows what reason. If others also enjoy great if not, Oh well that is not my problem.  

You are obviously a very qualified musician and therefore take music much more seriously. For me I do music posts primarily because it pleasures me.  And it pleasures me if people will occasionally respond in a positive manner. And you have always been very gracious towards me and others in regards to this. But by all means if it is not fun for you simply to post stuff you like and let the chips fall where they may...Well I think if you enjoy the searching around for tunes you like and want to share, and with a devil may care attitude about what others think you should continue posting. If you no longer enjoy it for whatever reason, why bother.

That being said I post this tune which I  like and I think Ann (Annie) Wilson the lead singer is really hot!! as she was captured some time in the past in this way too short of a piece, but it is one of my favorite Heart tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggDI4WSR-80

I am having a hard time getting this last link to be a live link> why is that Pamster

and finally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwqPaG2OAA4&playnext_from=TL&videos=Fgitsv4Wgog

Well alrighty then seems OK now.

Hey John, it has been fun to exchange stuff with you.  We've hit on some common ground and you put up some good stuff (although I didn't always share your tastes, either, but that's to be expected).  I don't enjoy just posting stuff for the hell of it, really.  What I enjoy(ed) and want(ed) was to exchange ideas and share stuff that maybe wasn't known to each other and also to chat a bit about why we liked or didn't like certain material.  So I do feel like I'm just doing it for myself and that isn't really what I'm after.  I can play what I like without posting.  Anyway, if you like to just post I hope you'll keep at it.  I don't mean to discourage you; its just that I'm not getting the "reward" I was seeking and feel somewhat foolish just putting up a bunch of stuff I don't think anybody cares a thing about.  Also, it takes time and concentration for me to think of stuff to post and then go and try to find a Youtube an such and I'm finding those kinds of tasks to be more and more difficult.  So, why do something difficult if it doesn't bring any reward (or certainly not in proportion to the work required) ?  I'm also not embarassed to say that I am somewhat of a sensitive person and don't like to feel ignored or rejected and the lack of participation here does make me feel that way to a degree and I don't need that.

So, my buddy, keep on truckin' and I'll check in on the thread and maybe even offer a comment but I'm going to make an exit from the posting and long-winded discourse I have engaged in.  Thanks for being a good buddy and at least listening to some of my stuff. My best to you.

John

Hi J, I went to your Heart link, but continued on to another song which is more of a favorite.  I got to see the MTV video I remember so well, it brought back memories, drunken ones.  I think I was more into music in those days.  ::) That's been the great thing about the links everyone has posted, it gets me in the mood to hear more.  I don't often listen to music anymore except in my car, so this has been nice.  Thanks to all who've contributed.

John

I hope you will drop by when you get the urge. Unfortunately a two way conversation on line is hard for me so I post videos I like and am familiar with to try and express myself a little bit. This sub forum is basically a diversion for those suffering the miseries of benzo withdrawal> I guess we are all just plugging along the best we can.

Take care till we meet again John

Your ever well wisher

J

Yes, J, you are right that this board is for diversion and that the Forum is a benzo withdrawal support Forum, not a music forum.  In my time of need I failed to see that and I think that's at the heart of my feelings.  I should have realized this isn't the place for what I was seeking.  I have made similar mistakes in seeking frinedships (and maybe this is related, to a degree) and have been hurt when it didn't work out.  I don't have the best social skills and sometimes that leads me astray to seek to fill certain needs in ways or places or with people where it isn't really appropriate.

I understand about your difficulty in two-way conversation; but, you see, that's just what I have said.  I didn't get it becasue I was so focused on trying to get the type of communication I wanted and not paying enough attention to where I am at or the needs/limits of others.  I don't do this out of selfishness, but rather out of some type of deficiency I seem to possess.  I hope I haven't made you uncomfortable and will leave well enough alone now.

I'll be lurking and know that my spirit is with you.  Express away my friend.

John

let it be known that i have risen in love with all three of you :smitten:

i'm feeling some w/d from this thread, so here's one which i may already have posted. it has been a good day

to check in with ourselves, hasn't it? violet :thumbsup: