Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Charles - My Favourite SONGS

[Re...]

:)thankyou so much. i love donovan too. always have. this first song i used to sing when i could play a little guitar. what a gentle soul. i'm touched.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Re...]

• [Ma...]

• [...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a big Donovan fan, too, and these bring back a lot of good memories.  Thanks !

Violet - before you pass on my comment to CeCe I must admit that I somewhat stole it (but paraphrased it a bit) from a comment I once read by a great Texas & New Orleans rocker named Marcia Ball (I bet CeCe would know of her).  I still think its true, just know that it isn't totally original.  I just thought it applied.

I'm glad you like Hamza el Din.  I love the oud.  I also like the saaz (Lindley plays that, too) and the nay (a wooden flute).  I'll try and find some more of this kind of stuff but its not exactly that easy to find (although we have a goodly collection on CD's but these were obtained via sources not generally available; i.e. not at your local music store).  I wasn't sure anybody would like this cut.  Folks tend to like whatever was popular when they were teenagers or at least only be comfortable with stuff that isn't too foreign (or that's been my experience, any way). This applies to older American music as well.  Many just can't relate.  This is my dilemma for the future on this thread: post non-mainstream stuff I like or not ?  I don't want to put a bunch of stuff out there that nobody likes (and I may have already done that).  We'll see.

John

i like this thread with you guys and occasionally pam. sorry medford john you are not getting more discussion which i know you love.  i'm very tired today. something very gentle and soulful will be appreciated! :smitten:

there's a lot of meditative music i listen to mostly, plus i like silence more than anything. v.

No problem Miss Violet.  I'll try and find something just for you.  I'm a bit frazzled right now, too, so maybe tomorrow.  In the meantime, enjoy some silence.  Maybe go into the woods.  I spent forty years out there; it can help you re-align youslef with the universe.

John

I wish I could join more in the discussion, but I'm afraid my music appreciation has dwindled through the years.  I used to be very passionate about it, but now if I hear something on the radio I like, I'll sing along and that's about the extent of my involvement.  But I'm enjoying your input and exchanges of musical knowledge.

Interesting that you would post that one.  I, too, like didgeridoo as meditation music.  Did you ever hear the band Outback ?  They used the didg as part of their insturmental lineup to good effect.  Not really meditative stuff like this, though; more "up" sort of stuff.

There is a big, counter-culture fair on Ken Kesey's old farm just west of Eugene, OR every year called the Oregon Country Faire and all kinds of odd folk show up there including a number of didgeridoo players.  A friend of mine, who hates the instrument, once said he was going to make a type of pepper spray to sell at the fair called "didgeri don't" and I thought that was a really amusing thing.  Just thought I'd pass that on for a grin (I hope).

OK, so how do ya'll feel about bagpipes ?  That's usually in the like 'em or hate 'em category but I find that if played by a skilled player in the right style (i.e. not the military stuff on the Scottish pipes) that they can have the same meditative effect for me.  Being of Irish descent, I of course prefer the Uilleann pipes (the Irish version, which have more of an ability to produce a melismatic effect).  Give this a whirl and let me know what you thought (or if I'm now banned forever):

I also like lots of Celtic styles and find a stringed instrument called the cittern to be very nice.  I'll see if I can find an example of that.

John

What the hell.  Here's a couple of pretty good examples of the cittern:

Now if anybody liked this then I might try and find a combo piece.  Cittern, Uilleann pipes, and tin whistle can really rock (and reel).

John

OK, so how do ya'll feel about bagpipes ?  That's usually in the like 'em or hate 'em category

Take a guess how I feel about them!  :tickedoff::laugh:

Pam, I'm not going to be banned am I ?  I checked and there's nothing in the user's guide about bagpipes.  Maybe you want to develop some spray called "pipe down" or something.  Gotta run now, the Campbell's are coming.

John

Jumping in here with a different type of music. A little blues and rock early this day. It's still morning in CA USA.

Haven't heard any Robin Trower, since I can't remember when.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA1THYhQl10&NR=1

Then there is this "elderly group," LOS MOSCARDONES:still playing darn good in IMHO  I was going to say doing a cover of a Linda Rhonstadt (SP?)song  but it might be she was singing this as a cover of someone else. Do you know John?

"Back in the day" I used to work for a gemologist in the Echo park district of East LA. Wasn't doing Heroin at the time but can relate to much of how he might be feeling.

J

Pam, I'm not going to be banned am I ?  I checked and there's nothing in the user's guide about bagpipes.  Maybe you want to develop some spray called "pipe down" or something.  Gotta run now, the Campbell's are coming.

John

:laugh:  Good one John, thanks for the Robin Trower by the way!  Yummy!

Dear Pamster,

You say:"Good one John, thanks for the Robin Trower by the way!  Yummy!"

I think you might be confused a little. I am John also but I sign my posts simply J.

The John you were responding to signs his posts as John.  Confusing I know thats why I use just the letter J so people will not get us confused. I would hate to see him blamed for something I might write. Know what I mean. Anyway it was I, "J," who posted the Robin Trower song.

J

Well, I guess I'm not banned (at least until Colin hears of my Irish connections).  Yeah, John, its a Warren Zevon tune; Werewolves of London, Lawyers, Guns, and Money, etc.  I loved Warren and added his name to the "other" music thread.  I've always loved this tune and play it on all three of my instruments in somewhat different arrangements.  I personally liked the line about "pawning my smith and wesson."  I find it lends itself to either a tex-mex sort of rhythm or a slow reggae thing.

Not the best or as good as the original (which was with the band) but here's an acoustic version of one of my Warren fav's.  Twelve string model of the same guitar Emmy plays, by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5puAN1PGQw&feature=related

Robin Trower; yeah.  Bridge of Sighs.  He's still out there and good as ever.  I saw him last year and he can still play.  Remarkable (but loud for an old guy's ears now).

I'm starting to wonder about my posts here.  To quote the scripture (and I'm an atheist, but a studied one), I feel I may be in some respects "The voice of one crying in the wilderness" and that perhaps my not posting my non-mainstream likes would help me to "make his paths straight."  Sorry if this is too melodramatic for ya'll.  I've already admitted at various times on this forum that I am a pedantic intellectual, and opinionated.  You can now add "somewhat of a romantic, sentimentalist" to the list.  Can't help it; its in the genes.  Blame my parents.

John

If I continue here I'll refer to you, John2, as just "J" as you prefer.  All us benzo types are already confused enough so anything to help us keep things straight (um ... not confused) is good by me.  And I know you really just don't want to be associated with bagpipes, either.

Musically yours,

John

Dear Pamster,

You say:"Good one John, thanks for the Robin Trower by the way!  Yummy!"

I think you might be confused a little. I am John also but I sign my posts simply J.

The John you were responding to signs his posts as John.  Confusing I know thats why I use just the letter J so people will not get us confused. I would hate to see him blamed for something I might write. Know what I mean. Anyway it was I, "J," who posted the Robin Trower song.

J

Sorry about that John, I realized my mistake just as you pointed it out.  I oftentimes go by avatars not names, so even if you sign your name J, I should have been able to tell the difference!  I promise you won't bet blamed for anything John does, but I'll certainly give credit where credit is due....

Thank you for the Robin Trower, I went from the song you posted to Bridge of Sighs, ahhh.

All is well in musicthread land.  I modified my previous post to include a Warren tune and to clarify my feelings about the 'John' vs 'J' thing.  Might want to re-read that one.  Hey, did you ever read Mad magazine ?  I just flashed on Spy vs Spy.  Sometimes leftover brain cells just fire randomly.  Another thing I can't help.

You can call me John, but don't call me J,

John

my turn! been away all day.

john,' didgeri don't'  pretty amusing. never been to the or. country fair..know many who used to, and maybe still do (how would i know?) go. back when i went to the isle of wight festival  1970, and glastonbury in 1971 or the other way round. one of my best memories is waking up in a wet sleeping bag with a guy i met the day before, listening to joan baez as dawn broke, or was it melanie? the one we all agree on, donovan, was there, that darling man.

john, regular military bagpipes i DO NOT LIKE. however, this man seamus ennis, god of uilleann pipes is genius. i love the effect his sound had on me. thanks so much. now i know that's the instrument pl;ayed so much with enya's music.

i don't like reels. nervous system goes on overload.

j. robin trower, great dance music. if my feet weren't so sore i'd have been up on them.

okay, warren zevon here's the only song of his i ever knew.

i love this thread, don't go away you opinionated intellectual john, okay? ;)

actually instead of sending the warren zevon i'll think of something really different, take a chance! back soon vi.

Bless you, Violet.  I, too, woke up one morning many a year ago in a wet sleeping bag with someone I'd met only the night before (maybe we should start a true confessions thread ?).  It was at the Atlanta pop festival in 1969.  I got invited to go to Woodstock but was (litereally, as there was a heat wave and it was south Georgia in July) burned out on the "festival" thing so I didn't go.  Those I knew who did were genereally disappointed and just got rained on (contrary to the almost mystical references now made about Woodstock).

I've loved your invovlement here and look forward to your mystery post to come.  Perhaps we share some Celtic genes (i.e. the six degrees theory and you being from the UK).  At least I didn't get burned at the stake for the pipe URL (but almost).  Careful, girl, what you say in public.

John

john, it's weird, i saw your reply, did i send it by pm ? don't see it on the thread.

here's my chosen song for now,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0-bbSSaNFE because of stirred up memories.

(yes, the pop festival experience was mixed! - now i hear a touch of edith piaf in melanie's voice)

ah, there it is, (my lost message).

yes, i'll be careful.

glad you didn't get burned at the stake. trust me, you don't need that experience. more of that in the true past life confessions thread 8)

I had forgotten completely about Melanie but this fires up some of those old cells, indeed.  The words now have more of a punch.  A good pick, as usual, Miss Violet.  I speak a little French so I got a tad of that, too (pretty much the same as the English).  I suppose I should just grow a thicker skin but I don't like shouting in the wilderness.  If I'm going to be in the wilderness I much prefer a nice, small, fire (if it isn't fire season) and some red wine and just connecting to the natural order of things and no shouting.  That drowns out so much of what we need to really hear.

John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlumIElHM-8

john, speaking of 'a voice in the wilderness', check this out...........

i was 10 years old when i loved cliff richard,

14 years old when i fell in love with the beatles, saw them in london, stood on my chair and screamed  :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

I'm so jealous. The closest I ever got to the Beatles was to see them on the Ed Sullivan show (and I had to pester my parents to let me see it; they were a bad influnce on American youth, you know).  Did you throw jelly beans ?  Lucky girl.  I did get to see the Stones some years later.  They were raw and really good then.  So was I, come to think of it.

Joe Cocker - yes indeedee.  I saw him when he did the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour and he was great (but he got screwed on that one financially by Leon Russell).  I hope you don't get me wrong on this one, but have you seen this ?  Its pretty funny, but be sure to hit the little X down at the right-hand side (next to the text "ads by Google"  so you kill the advertisement box that comes up on the bottom as you need to see the "lyrics."  I loved Joe.  A really soulful guy.  A great example of you Brits understanding and re-introducing us to our own music (as with the Stones and Eric, et. al.).

John