Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Charles - My Favourite SONGS

[Re...]

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Re...]

• [Ma...]

• [...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

WW - thanks so much.  The Cowbody Junkies are likely to put me to sleep; I don't really care much for their stuff.  Now that Blue Rodeo link was trembendous.  Really good stuff.  Thanks so much.  Its great to have you join me and the other  John.  You obviously know your sh...

How did you come to know Graham's daughter ?  I'd like to hear that story.  I've seen Emmy Lou so many times.  She's one of my fantasy girlfrineds and has done such great stuff and had so many wonderful bands.  One of my true musical heroes.

Although I have met many a player I've never known someone personallly that was related to a "famous" person.  The closest I have come to that was to know the daughter of John Dopyera, the inventor of the resonator guitar (Dobro is an acronym for Dopyera Brothers).  John lived near here and his family still lives here.  I met his daughter (and later his widow and sister) because she came to the courts to have her name changed from her married name back to Dopyera.  My wife was the perosn she dealt with and, knowing the name, she asked if she was any relation to the Dopyera family that built the Natiional and Dobro guitars and she was astonished that my wife would know this stuff.  Anyway, we met up at a later date and I got to meet some of the other family members.  Its a small world in many ways.

John - I think we're connecting big time now.  Keep posting, please.  Sharing music is so therapeutic for me.  Thanks for contininuing the dialogue.

Be well, ya'll.

John

It IS a small world for sure....I do believe in the six degrees of separation theory  :D...strange stuff for sure. Glad you like Blue Rodeo. :yippee:

I, too, believe in the six degrees theory.  I am somewhat of a statistician and think its mathematically sound as well as having experienced it myself.  WW - I'd still like to know how you came to know Graham's daughter if it isn't too private.  That would be Polly, right ?

John - now you've gone and done it.  I'll be searching Youtube for some of my favorite honky-tonk and real country tunes.  Great song choice (I've always like that one and Emmy Lou did a good cover as well as many other folk).  Good video of Waylon, too.  A lot of folks I know don't care for the old country stuff (or hillbilly or bluegrass either) but I find it to be a pure kind of music.  Blues for white people.  Stay tuned.

John

Hey John WW and all,

here is a link to a local community radio station which streams on the internet.

http://www.kvmr.org/webcast.html

At 12 noon on saturdays  (U.S. Pacific time) they have a program called Hard Country you guys might enjoy.

When you go to the link you will see what to click on to start the stream and also to the right a link to program scheduling in case there may be other things you might want to listen to.

J

How about Blaze Foley?

A tribute of sorts from an older Lucinda Williams she still has the same great guitarist I notice.

Blaze was shot to death in 1989. In case you are interested here is a link to a little back ground on him and his relatively short life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaze_Foley

J

Hey Violet, thanks for joining us !  That tune reminds me somewhat of the type of material the Stanley Brothers used to do as gospel duets (they were among the great founding brother groups in bluegrass).  Johnny was the real thing and its a shame we've lost him and most of the Carter family now.  Keep 'em coming.

John - thanks for the radio link.  I missed it today but I've save the URL and will give it a try.  I didn't know Blaze Foley, really, but I had heard the name mentioned.  Probably in liner notes or in one of my guitar mags.  He sounds like the real thing, too, and I see there's more of his material on Youtube so I'm going to check that out for sure.  Townes I know about from a ways back; so many have covered his stuff.  I have some biographical material in several books but will check out your reference also.

I'm thinking about folks whose stuff I might be able to find on Youtube and will put some new stuff out there for ya'll soon.  As I said once before, a lot of what I listen to doesn't have any Youtube so maybe I'll also just mention a few names from time to time to see if any are familiar to you or if ya'll are into any of those sorts of musical styles.  A little discussion wouldn't hurt would it ?

p.s. - do either of you play an instrument ?  Just curious.

John

no, i don't play an instrument. it's a shame really because i'm musical and most of my family is. i've dabbled in treble recorder, guitar and most recently keyboard. i can not play guitar without hurting my wrists, shoulders, neck. and since i became reactive to plastic had to get rid of my keyboard and i was having so much fun with it, no reading music, just improv, and i felt gooood playing. since i've covered my computer with a glass aquarium (ha!) i spend lots of time on youtube. what a place that is!! sorry i'm not up to music discussion but i do like to hear your stories and musical knowledge. are you able to play at all these days? i'll enjoy posting songs that move me. are you familiar with maria muldaur? she's coming to my island next month. i listened to her way back when.did you listen to more from the same source that 'playing for change' 'one love' came from? that was/is something amazing that happened and aired on pbs. i'll post another song or two. i don't have tv any more, thankfully!!

v.

Hey, ya'll.  Good to hear from you again.  I liked your Keb selection, violet; a happy tune, indeed !  BTW, I once met Kevin a long time ago before he got famous and won a grammy.  He had just released his first CD and was the opening act at a local outdoor music series.  Since the CD was somewhat blues oriented a friend of mine who then was doing a blues radio show on our local NPR station got hold of him to see if he could interview him.  To his surprise Kevin said yes.  Well, it turned out that my friend's car broke down on the afternoon of the interview so he called me and asked if I'd drive him and of course I did so I got to meet Kevin and see the interview conducted.  Several years ago I found out that his uncle lives in a town about thirty miles away.  I was once again lucky that about a year after that I attended a large party and this uncle was there and even played some guitar (it was hosted by some musician friends of mine and there was a big jam session).  So tha't my Keb Mo story.

Do go see him if you can, Violet: he's a good entertainer and always has a good band.  I don't have a TV, either, by the way; something that makes me (among other things) rather an oddball.  I do play some still but not like I used to as I have developed an arthritic condition that has spread to several of my fingers.  I do better with the mandolin in that regard, the neck being much smaller and requiring less finger reach, and may end up just playing that.  Its a shame because I like my guitars and have a lot of money invested in some very good ones.  Oh well, life deals us all some bad cards sometimes.  At least I'm still upright !

What Island do you live on Violet ?  I'm just curious.

I'll try and refrain from too much discussion.  What I meant wasn't to talk technical music stuff, but rather, that since I can't find Youtube stuff for many of the artists I like I thught maybe I could just list some folks and some tunes and ya'll could say if you knew them or liked any of them.  Would that interest anyone or should I just stick to posting Youtube's ?

Oh,and after your post, Violet, I went out and bought the "Peace Through Musicd" DVD and watched it last night.  Wonderful.  Thanks so much for turning me on to that.  Sorry for having run on a bit.  I'm prone to that I'm afraid.

John

John - you posted as I was posting so I missed your Cat Stevens post until just now.  I liked the second one best.  I was a big fan of his back in the day.  I think he's started to play again but am not sure if he's still at it as I don't think he did very well in rejuvinating his career.  He burned a lot of bridges with statements he made.  Anyway, I liked the tunes and try not to get all caught up in the political side of any musicians life and just enjoy the music they make.  Thanks for keeping them coming.

John

Hey, ya'll.  Good to hear from you again.  I liked your Keb selection, violet; a happy tune, indeed !  BTW, I once met Kevin a long time ago before he got famous and won a grammy.  He had just released his first CD and was the opening act at a local outdoor music series.  Since the CD was somewhat blues oriented a friend of mine who then was doing a blues radio show on our local NPR station got hold of him to see if he could interview him.  To his surprise Kevin said yes.  Well, it turned out that my friend's car broke down on the afternoon of the interview so he called me and asked if I'd drive him and of course I did so I got to meet Kevin and see the interview conducted.  Several years ago I found out that his uncle lives in a town about thirty miles away.  I was once again lucky that about a year after that I attended a large party and this uncle was there and even played some guitar (it was hosted by some musician friends of mine and there was a big jam session).  So tha't my Keb Mo story.

Do go see him if you can, Violet: he's a good entertainer and always has a good band.  I don't have a TV, either, by the way; something that makes me (among other things) rather an oddball.  I do play some still but not like I used to as I have developed an arthritic condition that has spread to several of my fingers.  I do better with the mandolin in that regard, the neck being much smaller and requiring less finger reach, and may end up just playing that.  Its a shame because I like my guitars and have a lot of money invested in some very good ones.  Oh well, life deals us all some bad cards sometimes.  At least I'm still upright !

What Island do you live on Violet ?  I'm just curious.

I'll try and refrain from too much discussion.  What I meant wasn't to talk technical music stuff, but rather, that since I can't find Youtube stuff for many of the artists I like I thught maybe I could just list some folks and some tunes and ya'll could say if you knew them or liked any of them.  Would that interest anyone or should I just stick to posting Youtube's ?

Oh,and after your post, Violet, I went out and bought the "Peace Through Musicd" DVD and watched it last night.  Wonderful.  Thanks so much for turning me on to that.  Sorry for having run on a bit.  I'm prone to that I'm afraid.

John

:laugh:

pamster,

i hear your laugh.

you are sitting there waiting for............. :smitten:

gotta go take care of some bus, will be back to listen to your songs john, and pam to post one specially for you. you two holding my hands on my birthday...brought me here, helped me get involved...back in a while!

Great to see your smiling face here Pam !  I hope you'll share some of what you like with us, but you can just lurk if you wish.  Always nice to have you around.

Violet, I realize I didn't answer your question about Maria Muldauer.  Yes, I know of her and have seen her several times.  I first saw her in 1966 with the Jim Kweskin jug band (before she married Geof Muldauer; she was Maria D'amato then).  She ahd some bad years, I think, probably with alcohol but I think she's sobered up now and I'd see her if I were you.  She put out a great CD in 2001 that's all duets with blues folks (Richland Woman Blues) and there's a killer on it with Bonnie Raitt (another of my musical heroes).  If you like blues get this one (but only if you like blues).  She has a new one out that's all jug band stuff (sort of a return to her roots).  I imagine that's what she's promoting now if she's on tour so expect jug band music.  I don't know who's in her touring band but the CD has lots of good folks backing her.  Let me know if you see her and how it was.

OK, off to try and find some more Youtube stuff.  I'm itching to hear what you have picked out for Pam.

John

john and john!

i smiled hearing cat stevens, always liked him. never had listened to words of lady d'arbanville. and morning has broken, well how could i not sing along! years of singing it in school, church, as a child - then cat brought it to life for me - so it was a treat to hear it again, thanks.

jwmjohn...love your keb mo story! he's a goood man. i can add to that by..his friend corey harris stays with friends of mine (or used to) and did in-house and local gigs. i didn't like all of his songs but one in particular i'll see if i can find on youtube.

keep doing however you are doing it john! you are much deeper into music than i, so the obscure names i probably won't have heard of. that doesn't matter. thankfully the mandolin is still ok for you.

I've always like Yanni's music, so last year when I saw a PBS special showcasing a new type of format for him, I knew I had to see it.  He'd found some young singers who had added lyrics to his music and performed it.  I fell in love with all four of the singers but this one in particular, violet I'm sure you'll see why!  :heybabe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKpMP2KMk0&feature=related

pam

yep! ;)

and thanks for bringing me to yanni. i missed him mostly........"if the music is about an emotion it will cross the borders"...yep again :)