Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Charles - My Favourite SONGS

[Re...]

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Re...]

• [Ma...]

• [...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to add to this thread.  I think this is all probably different than ya'll might like or be used to but it represents some of the type of stuff I play (both on my stereo and actual instruments) and like.  I hope one of these appeals to somebody.  Music is my one true passion and I think it is the true common language between cultures and all people of the world.

Bob Brozman & Ledward Kahapana, the best living slack key player and the best National steel guitar player together

For when I want to be mellow and dream of Kauai

Dreams To Remember (cover of one of my favorite Otis Redding songs)

For when I want to cry in a soulful way and and thinking of things I've lost

Several Ry Cooder covers (Ry is one of my musical heroes):

A little gospel, one with slide guitar and one by Ry's old, really great backup singers

For when I need a little religion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_OV_9GxU3s

Some old blues on the mandolin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSpKLgwcXD8

A great cover by David Lindley, one of the best lap steel players around (and a bunch of other stuff, too)

For when I want to rock a bit or drive my car real fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr3Jp_aF1Ok&feature=related

I couldn't help myself ... here's a few more of the types of stuff I like and play:

Ragtime on the guitar.  Mary is one of the best.  I've met her and she now lives in Portland, Or

And speaking of ragtime on the guitar, it doesn't get much better than this:

Serious deep blues. A cover of one of my favorite Skip James (original blues player) tunes by one of the best of the new guys.

For when I really have the blues

A great cover of another old blues tune by one of the greats, Willie McTell.  I play this one all the time.

Again, this isn't mainstream, top-40 stuff but these represent very good interpretations of old acoustic styles that appeal to me.  I hope somebody out there shares an interest in this stuff or at least was pleasantly surprised.  If not, well .... the devil made me do it.

Yours misically,

John

Hey John, your son has talent; nice vocals and the rhythm is tight. Thanks for the link.

WW - no, I didn't get to catch any of that tour but I've seen all of the members in differnt groups at one time or another.  John Hiatt has played here several times in the last couple of years and I always catch his shows. He usually tours with another great slide guitar player, Sonny Landreth.  David Lindley lives in the Bay area and plays here or near here often.  I just saw him solo a few months ago and now he's on tour with Jackson Browne (David was in his band on all those early, big records) and I will see that show (acoustic, just the two of them). I've seen (and even met a couple) of the other folks in my links mulitiple times.

I hope ya'll found something in my list that was at least a little entertaining or perhaps new to you.  I have very eclectic tastes but tend not to listen to much that could be called current pop or top40.  Much of the music I really like isn't on Youtube so I just picked a few things that I like from what they have so I could post a link.  I'm not a mainstream kind of guy in many ways.

Keep 'em coming folks !

John

Just for grins I looked back at all the posts on this thread and found a number of tunes and albums I like.  I think Marnie and me probably share a lot as she listed Ry's "Bop Til You Drop", a lot of old motown, and Allison Kraus & Robert Plant's "Sand."  Marne also listed the tune "Dimming of The Day" (written by Richard Thompson and originally recorded by him and his now ex-wife, Linda) and I've always loved that song.  Bonnie Raitt did a killer cover of that also.

I also saw several folks liked the Oh Brother Where Art Thou (Cohen Brothers movie) soundtrack. That is all covers of stuff from the twenties and thirties; I have lots of that kind of thing in my collection and play a lot of those styles.  I also saw Patsy Cline, the Chieftains, and Steve Winwood:  all greats.

And hey, WW, I agree with you about Tina Turner: that's a gal with some cahones.  I once saw her with Ike when I was a teenager.  I was underage but got in anyway.  I still remember that and that was a looooong time ago. Too bad Ike was such a jerk 'cause he could play and he wrote some really good stuff.  Have you ever heard of Marcia Ball, Lou Ann Barton, or Angela Strehli ?  They're all great R&B players and singers and they put out a CD with a great cover of "A Fool In Love" (Dreams Come True on Antone's label).

I love this thread.  Keep posting ya'll !

John

Really love Alanis,

She can be such a hard rock slut sometimes. Mostly familiar with her Jagged Little Pill album. Here is one cut.

a little sweeter Alanis

J.

PS.  John

thanks for your nice words about my sons ability. He also makes acoustic guitars, mandolins, dulcimers etc. Quite talented and quite the "babe magnet." At least it certainly seems that way to his "pops."

Yeah, the girls like it when you can play them a good tune.

Did you ever see that movie where Alanis played God ?  I can't remember the name and it was an oddball.  Maybe it'll come to me sometime.

So here's a few more that I found on Youtube:

Bonnie's version of Richard Thompson's "Dimming of the Day" - a great song about love and need; somehting all buddies can relate to:

And Richard himself:

One of the best fingerstyle guitarists (Martin Simpson) with one of the queens of English folk rock (June Tabor) doing another of Richard's tunes:

Martin also plays really nice slide guitar.  This one's a tad long but of those available I thought it was a good example of his precision style.  By the way, I got to play that guitar at a workshop where Martin was one of the instructors.  A real thing of beauty.  I bet your son would know of its maker, Stefan Sobel. Stefan also makes instruments  in the mandolin family.

Harry Manx, a great Canadian player, doing a favorite tune of mine that expresses how we should open our door to all the needy, which is another thing I think all us buddies can understand:

Emmy Lou singing a great old Ralph Stanley tune that all of us benzo folk can relate to, also, I think:

I hope I haven't gone over the top here. I just love exchanging these and seeing what others like.  And hey, the guy who started this thing posted pages and pages.  Anyway, tell me if I should sit down and shut up.

John

Hey John,

Some great tunes! I especially liked "Strange Affair" with June Tabor and Martin Simpson. I actually teared up with the beauty of it. And then Martin played a solo in the next song and I was further moved. Damn they are both so excellent, and emotionally evocative.

Now you can sit down John and shut up so we can get back to more "bubble gum" selections. LOL!!! Don't you dare. Please post often. Not only is it a pleasure listening to what you like but for me it is also educational.

Regards

J.

Its good to have someone to share music with.  It seems we're a bit by ourselves here and I wonder why.  Anyway, nice to meet your acquaintance.  I'm glad you like at least something of the ones I posted.  As I said, these are just ones I found on Youtube, since that seems to be the format posters wanted.  A lot of what I like doesn't have any Youtube video (or video at all due to its age or because the artists have a small (but dedicated) audience.  I don't really want to post gobs of stuff that nobody wants to hear and I am a little reluctant to keep putting stuff up here since I don't have much of an idea of what people might like and we seem to be the only ones interested anyway.  We could always do a few PM's and talk about our likes and dislikes in terms of general types or styles.  Then maybe I'd feel a little more like I'm really sharing and not just plastering links that nobdody is interested in.  Think about that proposal and I'll stick my neck out one more time since you said you liked Martin and June.

Martin Simpson is one of the world's best finger style players and has won a number of English music awards. He married a US gal and lived here for a number of years (that's how I came to meet him at a workshop).  However, he divorced and moved back to England and rarely plays the US anymore (that I know of).  He used to tour with June early in their careers.  June also recorded a lot of great stuff with another of the founders of the English folk rock movement (and member of Steeleye Span), Maddy Prior.  Here's a couple of cuts (but not video) from a great album Maddy and June did together back in the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBETeptgM9k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZU7QHCYId8&feature=related

And if you want something a bit more rockin' here's Sonny Landreth, one of the world's best electric slide guitar players with Mark Knopfler.  I mentioned Sonny before because he's often part of Johh Hiatt's band.  He started playing at 15 as Clifton Chenier's guitar player (Clifton was the King of zydeco).  If you don't know about zydeco well ... maybe we can discuss that if we do the PM thing.

Oh yeah, the movie where Alanis plays God was "Dogma" (1999).  Very odd film; sort of a prody of Catholic religion I suppose.  Hard to describe.  If you like really off-the-wall type of stuff it would be worth a rent.  Otherwise, not exactly a box office hit.  I just thought I'd mention it since you seemed to be a fan of hers.

Live more musically.

John

I actually have seen David Lyndley in concert when he was doing the El Rayo X stuff. It's one of my FAV albums! ;D I love "She Took Off My Romeos"  :smitten:

how about a little Nick Cave?? :) 

:smitten:

Hey ya'll - great to hear from you both.  Thanks, WW, for joining us again.

John - I hadn't seen the Townes video but I do know many of his songs.  He was a great writer (my favorite is If I Needed You) but a tragic figure.  I didn't know there were any videos of him on Youtube so I'll have to give it a scan now for others.  Thanks ! Do you like this type of stuff ?  Sort of country singer/songwriters ?  If so, what others do you like ?  I think we've zeroed in on some common territory here.

WW - Nick Cave is a new name for me.  I like this tune as I can really relate to the words; almost as if I had written that (if I could write).  See, you've already expanded my horizons.  Visit again soon !  I may have already said it, but I'm a big fan of David's and just saw him earlier this year solo and got to talk with him for some time after the show (it was at a rural resort type place and he just hung around talking after he got done with all the CD sales).  He's also done a lot with Ry so I know him in that way, too.  On his website and at some shows Dave sells a two-CD live recording "Cooder/Lindley Family Live At The Vienna Opera House" which is great.  Dave's daughter sings and plays base and Ry's son is a percussionist and they do a lot of the old material.

I really like the Romeo tune, too.  I never saw him in the Rayo days but I did see him do that tune when he was touring with percussionist Hani Naser some years back and have a good recording of it on a CD they made together.  He does it as a medley with "Pretty Girls Rule The World."

Sounds like you got out at one point.  Still go to live shows ?

Thanks again, ya'll.  Its been a not-so-good day so seeing both of you had added to the  post was a needed boost.

John

Hey John, Townes reminded me of Steve Earl.  Do you know him ?  He learned to play from Townes and currently has a new CD out that's all covers of Townes' stuff.  Steve is quite popular now and a very politically-involved guy.  I personally liked his earlier stuff better (Emmy Lou Harris did a good cover of his Guitar Town) but he's a very good song writer.  Here's two I found:

One of his first hits.  The video that goes along is a bit tacky but it does show some live playing in his early days:

This one's him doing a Townes tune.  Kelly Joe Phelps is also on this one, but doesn't take much of a lead.  Kelly Joe is a wonderful NW slide guitar and finger-style player (although, like Steve, a bit of an odd boy).  I looked a bit but couldn't find any Kelly Joe videos.  Too bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMknbUBLu5E

John

Hey John

I posted a half dozen songs for you but it won't link to the songs. I posted one on another site with no problem so I don't know what is going on. Only the first half of the links are highlighted so It just takes me to you main page  but won't play the tunes. Never had this problem before.Sorry!

I am having no problem posting the links on another site so I don't know what is going on. I'll try one more thing.

No  luck, . Perhaps it is just some sort of temporary glich.

I had some selections by Gilliam Welsch form the Cambridge folk festival and a couple by Lucinda Williams. Too bad!!

well that worked I'll repost more tomorrow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-xdqz4ryc&playnext_from=TL&videos=OCFMNxluvRM

J

I liked those a lot; thanks.  I've never seen Lucinda Williams or heard that particular cut but I do have several of her CD's.  I liked her lead guitar player - nice electric stuff but not over the top and it fit the song well.  Do you know who he is ?

I've seen David and Gillian live several times and its always been a good show.  David is sort of an odd guy and his guitar style is very different (as is his guitar) than many.  They've also worked out a lot of vocal harmonies that don't follow the "standard" rules and I find that interesting, too.  Good choice !  Thanks for that one, too.

I'll post some more later.  I'm having a bad day today so I don't have much energy right now.  We'll keep it going a while, though, I hope.

John

This was recently posted on another forum site by Violet and I thought I'd put it here, too, in case you didn't catch it.  This is really good.  Its just confirms the universality of music and this is also a "buddie" tune if I ever heard one.  Made me cry.

John

That was very nice John and Violet.

John

I am sure you are familiar with this person Gram Parsons. Well here he is with Emmy Lou singing one of my favorite songs by him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7CQ0YugFc&playnext_from=TL&videos=QneEgldHjUw

and here is a link you might find interesting that includes the lyrics, accompanying musicians,  chord changes etc.

http://insurgentcountry.net/gram_parsons_a_song_for_you.txt

And last but not least here is Lucinda doing a cover for this song.

Can't decide which one I enjoy listening to the most. Love them both.

J.

Now you're talkin' :yippee::thumbsup:

http://www.morethings.com/pictures/music/gram_parsons-emmylou_harris.jpg

I knew his daughter and I saw Emmy Lou live 3 times ;D LOVE the stuff they did togther! :thumbsup:

Oh man ... Graham Parsons.  One of my favorites (along with Emmy Lou, who as you probably know statred out as his backup singer).  His stuff was killer and I often listen to him when I'm down.  He, along with some of the great "classic" country folks are among the most played stuff in my collection.  Thanks so much for the links.  More later; I'm a bit frazzled right now.

John