Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help with diazapam crossover

[...]

Hi, I had been trying to taper on Alprozam 1mg for about 6 months and got down to about  .4 before I really hit a wall. I had been taking xanax at night only up for several years. I had rough interdose withdrawl and began splitting dose to 3 day, but really wanted to try to finish off using Ashton Manual. I crossed over to valium in three steps over a month till I was fully on Diazapam 7.5 mg. I have been on this for about 3 weeks. The whole time since full crossover I have had side effect of sleeping like 14 hours. I take the Diazapam 7.5 at aroud 9 PM and have been sleeping from like 2AM till 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Waking up a few times briefly in morning. I'm currently trying to get masters degree and this is freaking me out. I don't want to go back to Xanax. Did I maybe crossover at too high an equivilancy? Is it possible it is just reaction to different benzo that will lessen as I taper?

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!!!!  I have zero experience with tapering, but I am Sure someone who does will reply.    I would hate to take a guess because I could be completely wrong.  

Hi @[...]

If you look at this conversion calculator you are at the higher end of the conversion rate, but still within the range. I know many members say Valium has a sedating effect and it takes some time to get used to it. Other than the sedation and sleep, how are your symptoms after the crossover? If you take the Valium at 9pm when do you start falling asleep?

I don't fall asleep until around 2. I have worked late hours for quite awhile so I usually fall asleep late. The sleeping all day though has only started since the valium cross over. It's kind of difficult to know what other symptoms are new to the crossover as I've felt a lot of different things since starting original taper. I think I have been feeling extra depression, which I have seen is not uncommon with valium. I don't feel the bad interdose withdrawal as with the Xanax. I don't want to drop too much and feel awful, but hope that I didin't updose and set my taper back a lot.

I don't think you've updosed. That's not something I'd be concerned about. I'm wondering if it's taking a while for the Valium to take effect and if you should maybe dose earlier to fall asleep earlier? I don't think it will solve all the daytime sleeping, but it may shave off some hours during the day?

Thanks, that's probably a good idea. It just baffles me a bit as it started happening right as I had fully crossed over. Hopefully, it's just one of the myriad strange side effects of getting off these medications and the Ashton Manual switch works out okay.

• Like 1

Is it possible this is a sign that I can cut lower, or more likely something that may disapate and I should just stay the course of reductions?

You might want to consider a 0.5mg reduction. I'm not sure if this is just normal Valium sedation that you'll get used to. If it were me, I would proceed cautiously simply because you recently finished the crossover. 

• 1 month later...

Hi checking in. I crossed over to 7.5 Valium and have reduced to 5 in about 2 months. The interdose withdrawl I was having with Xanax is not as bad, but I have continued to be extremely fatigued during the day the entire time on Valium. It's almost impossible to continue with schooling. I am wondering if Valium might affect me differently than most. It seems like a stupid idea to change back, but I'm just not sure how to deal with feeling like I nee to sleep all day.

For a lotta ppl going through benzo w/d, the fatigue and sleep from the Valium would be a welcomed relief if those are your only SXs. Personally, I would simply continue to reduce using the Ashton protocol until I was off.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, [[A...] said:

For a lotta ppl going through benzo w/d, the fatigue and sleep from the Valium would be a welcomed relief if those are your only SXs. Personally, I would simply continue to reduce using the Ashton protocol until I was off.

I would agree with this - I crossed fairly easily from Xanax to Valium.  Sleeping OK.  Daytime a bit fatigued and feeling down/depressed but I know why.  I am at 6mg and getting ready to drop to 5.  I welcome these side effects as opposed to the awful intradose withdraw and all that comes with Xanax.  Its just part of the deal I tell myself.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Hey there friend - had a question for you re: the Ashton manual....When I am down to 5mg Valium the manual says cut 1 mg every 1-2 weeks.  Any thoughts on whether one week vs two weeks is doable?  Or is this one of those "up to how you feel?"

I have been tapering quicker than most with success so far in about 6-7 weeks and would like to continue this pace - that said concerned about risk hiding around the corner.  

Any thoughts appreciated...my History is up to date.  Thanks a bunch!

Hi @[Kh...]

You said>>>>

I have been tapering quicker than most with success so far

How fast have you been tapering? I was cutting every 2 weeks. When I got down to 3 mgs I think, I slowed things down from cutting every 2 weeks to every 3 weeks. I personally think slower is better as long as you continue to stabilize after each cut. Valium can be a little tricky IMO. During my last detox attempt, I went too fast and I suffered badly with each cut and never stabilized between cuts. Then to add fuel to the fire, I jumped from 2.5 mgs. That was a huge mistake. I was miserable after the jump but thought I could perhaps ride things out. The bottom did not fall out until 2 weeks later, due to valium's long half-life I theorized. That was when things became intolerable and I was forced to reinstate. 

Used .5mg Xanax night time only for a a few years.  Recently had a health issue and used Xanax a bunch for a couple months - August/September.  Started "management" process in October.  Stabilized pretty easily on .5mg in 2 daily doses of ,25mg.  Psych tried to get me on Clonazepam and Lexapro.  I declined.   Crossed to valium over about 4 weeks and currently at 6mg.  Think that's Xanax equiv of .3mg --  So in about 6 weeks down from .5 to .3 in Xanax equiv.  Xero xanax in 5 days - valium only.  Maybe hang out at 6 mg for a few more days and planned to go to 5mg.  Currently one dose at bed time gets me thru the day no issue.    Only Sx are tinnitus and occasional stiff neck...hoping these will subside at some point

Edited by [Kh...]

Good to hear things are going good for you and you are stable. I agree with BB's take on doing a SX based taper. Perhaps, drop down to 5 in a few days and see how you feel. From 5 mgs down, I would simply follow the Ashton protocol as long as you remain stable. I would not rush things and give the brain plenty enough time to adjust as you slowly step down in dose.

I am trying to learn from my past mistakes.

Thanks for input and support.  My plan was a 1mg reduction each time (when ready - 1-2 weeks not sure how long)  and jumping from 1 mg when I get there.   We are here for you too so keep the faith

Hi @[...] :)

Congratulations on your cross over and your knowledge in what to do!

Yes sleepiness and depression are common, on the “bright” side so many would envy the ability to sleep, I’m between them (and I do understand that every side effect has its set of challenges in its particular situation).

I chimed in for other two things, taper should be guided by patient’s symptoms; and an experienced member confirmed me that many people found it easier to reduce “a lot” and faster at the beginning after the cross over. Maybe you should try and balance your dose with your symptoms and evaluate for yourself, taking notes usually helps in this. Take in mind that a cut could take 2/3 weeks to show its effects.

Wish you the best