Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Not sure what's going on

[Ha...]

Hello three months ago I did a quick taper in medical detox to come off of 2 mg twice a day of diazepam where I had been stuck for 3 years after starting from 5 mg twice a day. My mental health has been Rocky because of migraine Covid isolation and other factors but the past 3 months of been insane with multiple ER visits and mental health crises. I had been told contradictory things by different doctors. From from being told that my withdrawal symptoms would be short-lived and that anxiety afterward would be just my normal state to hearing from my migraine neurologist just now that the physiological withdrawal symptoms would have been affecting me. That was partly relief but also scary because I'm not sure if I'm through the woods yet. Just thinking of that was enough to make me almost have a panic attack. I do sometimes get very panicky thinking of recent anxiety crises. I'm I'm nervous about posting here to be honest because I'm afraid of hearing horror stories but I'd like some feedback. Thanks so much for listening

PS a week ago I was in hospital for 3 days and they were giving me half a milligram of Ativan three times a day. Also I had been given 1mg two or three times in er's. I'm hoping this hasn't sent me back.

Hello @[Ha...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having so much difficulty, it sounds like no one prepared you for the aftermath of stopping this class of medications.  Some can discontinue them with little to no problem but us, this isn’t the case.  3 months is fairly early in recovery, so I’m not surprised to hear you’ve been dealing with symptoms.  

The anxiety this drug makes us feel is for most of us, well beyond what we’ve experienced before, its like anxiety on steroids but as we recover, the anxiety lessens and we get back to our baseline.  So this isn’t you, its the drug. 

If you weren’t sent home with Ativan, I’m thinking this won’t disrupt your recovery, hopefully they didn’t give you a prescription.

I probably haven’t answered all of your questions, so lets keep talking.

Pamster