Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How to taper off 20 mg/day propranolol. Might have worsened my tinnitus and I’m freaking out.

[sc...]

Hello all, 

I desperately need to come off propranolol. Someone on a tinnitus forum told me it’s ototoxic but I was scared to withdraw since I did cold turkey with benzos/ssris so I haven’t gotten off her. Terrible idea. My tinnitus is bad again and I’m scared it’s permanent since ototoxicity is permanent. 

I don’t have a psychiatrist to help taper bc my previous doctor would not do a taper for Xanax/Zoloft so I no longer see him. I don’t know how to do this without a Dr. If someone could please help me I’d be so grateful. 

I saw a website where a Dr said to take full dose for a week, then every other day for a week, then stop. This seems too fast right? I don’t know I’m just scared bc I can’t do bad tinnitus on top of hyperacusis I’m kicking myself I should have stopped months ago!!

Can’t find a Dr to help. Last two said I can’t be withdrawing I don’t understand why they don’t know about withdrawal im scared to do it myself In case I don’t taper right wish I never took these meds they give them but don’t warn about issues later on

Edited by [sc...]

On 25/09/2023 at 09:04, [[s...] said:

saw a website where a Dr said to take full dose for a week, then every other day for a week, then stop. This seems too fast right?

We generally advise strongly against skipping doses or alternating days to taper.  It causes extreme fluctuations in the concentration of the drug in your body which is hard on your nervous system.  

Survivingantidepressants.org has a page of tips for tapering off propranolol.  They suggest you can taper at a rate of 10% per week.