Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

TEETH sensitivity!!!!!

[bi...]

Has anyone here had a problem with their teeth while tapering? I’m noticing problems with my back bottom molars more so on the left side. Some other teeth are very sensitive and I get little zings and zaps in them at random times. I bought a night guard but I don’t clench my teeth when I sleep. This seems to have come on as I have gotten down to a really low dose of Ativan. Even the muscles on the sides of my cheeks and jaw start to hurt sometimes and it makes it feel as if it’s my bottom back molars but more so on the left back crowned molar. I’ve been to the dentist three times and that’s with two different dentists. I’ve had multiple x-rays and also the x-ray that moves and spins around your head, and exams I have no decay. I would hate to get a root canal or a tooth extracted and have this be a benzo withdrawal problem. My teeth sometimes pulsate. I am just hoping that this will eventually go away. If anyone here has had any teeth problems with their nerves or sensitivity, please let me know if this has eventually gone away :( :( 

@[bi...],

Benzos,are very efficient muscle relaxers. When the level is reduced through tapering, it can take a while for the muscles to learn to relax naturally, without chemical intervention.

The clenching of the jaw can also cause tooth pain. I’ve always been a clencher, even before benzos and have worn a mouth guard for years at night. It looks like you’ve had a thorough dental exam. Did you mention the clenching or did the dentist address the issue of TMJ with you?

I have found warm compresses on my jaw helps alleviate some of the discomfort. Conscious relaxation can help as well where I would try to relax all the muscles from the top of my head down.

pianogirl :smitten:

I also had teeth issues (or I thought I had) when I first quit benzos.  Had X-rays etc.  Nothing showed up and the doctors sent me home as there was nothing he could do.

Pain went away within a few weeks.

47 minutes ago, [[p...] said:

@[bi...],

Benzos,are very efficient muscle relaxers. When the level is reduced through tapering, it can take a while for the muscles to learn to relax naturally, without chemical intervention.

The clenching of the jaw can also cause tooth pain. I’ve always been a clencher, even before benzos and have worn a mouth guard for years at night. It looks like you’ve had a thorough dental exam. Did you mention the clenching or did the dentist address the issue of TMJ with you?

I have found warm compresses on my jaw helps alleviate some of the discomfort. Conscious relaxation can help as well where I would try to relax all the muscles from the top of my head down.

pianogirl :smitten:

Thank you for replying @[pi...] My dentist thinks I’m clenching and I just don’t know it. She tested the sides of my jaw and she pushed in on my chin and told me to push my chin out, she never really said I have TMJ. I guess I don’t technically have a TMJ diagnosis I’m just assuming I have that but maybe I don’t, maybe it’s just a sore jaw, and joints and muscles. I just got done rinsing with warm salt water. (Which made my jaw muscles sore) I have to do that multiple times to relieve the teeth sensitivity and help with any with what feels like gum inflammation, it’s not a lot it’s just a tiny bit back behind my bottom back molars where my wisdom teeth once were, but I had those removed decades ago. Also a little bit of inflammation on the left side of my inner cheek. I’ve heard of people getting burning mouth syndrome, while tapering off of benzos. My GP doctor prescribed me Ativan in January of this year for anxiety, and in June of this year is when I started my taper, I kick myself in the butt every day for ever even taking these. I hope my muscles and jaw and teeth sensitivity will “eventually” go back to normal  i’m going to try warm compresses on the sides of my cheeks and jaw and face. I’ve been putting ice there. I try to wear my mouthguard at night when I go to sleep, it’s just bought a cheap one that I got from Walgreens. Thank you again. 

Edited by [bi...]

5 minutes ago, [[f...] said:

I also had teeth issues (or I thought I had) when I first quit benzos.  Had X-rays etc.  Nothing showed up and the doctors sent me home as there was nothing he could do.

Pain went away within a few weeks.

Thank you for replying @[fl...]. I would love for this to go away in a few weeks. I’m still tapering though I’m not completely off. I’m just gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope that my jaw, muscles and teeth sensitivity go back to normal soon. 

@[bi...] I remember at one point early in my recovery, every tooth in my mouth hurt, all at once. Turned out to be caused by the new gum I'd started chewing. It contained xylitol instead of sugar. It was supposed to prevent tooth decay. But my body does not tolerate artificial sweeteners of any kind, even "natural" sugar alcohols like xylitol. Not sure how, exactly, xylitol made my teeth hurt. Maybe it caused a sinus problem. I know sinusitis can cause all your teeth to hurt. But in any case, when I stopped chewing that gum, my teeth stopped hurting.