Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is being on 6mg a day a lot?

[Ob...]

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum.

I have been using clonazepam for some time now. I was perscribed 1mg only if really needed for anxiety. Then I started using more, which led me to now using around 6mg every day.

I havent been using it for that long, a month I think at most(I have had perscription for a few months but it didnt get out of hand until now). 

Today I only took 2mg around noon and about 7pm I started to feel bad. My heart started to beat loud and I had thoughts about harming myself. Then I took 3 more mg and it stopped.

Not sure if this is cause of the benzo, was it witdrawal or something else, since I havent done this ever until now.
Any thoughts? Advice? Is this a lot or not as bad and will it be easy to stop?

Hi @[Ob...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

The symptoms you describe sound like withdrawal symptoms to me, given that it stopped when you increased your dose. However it will help if we get a better understanding of your usage. How long have you been using Clonazepam on a daily basis? Can you give us a basic outline of:

• when you started using as needed
  • when you started using on a daily basis and the dose
  • the approximate dates (months) you increased your dose and by how much

To answer your question, yes 6mg of Clonazepam is a fairly high dose. I don't know if it will be easy to stop - each person reacts differently to benzo's and I guess it depends on how you define easy. But if you have become physically dependent tapering can be done in such a way that you still function in normal life. I tapered from 2mg Clonazepam and I was functional throughout my taper. 

10 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Hi @[Ob...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

The symptoms you describe sound like withdrawal symptoms to me, given that it stopped when you increased your dose. However it will help if we get a better understanding of your usage. How long have you been using Clonazepam on a daily basis? Can you give us a basic outline of:

• when you started using as needed
  • when you started using on a daily basis and the dose
  • the approximate dates (months) you increased your dose and by how much

To answer your question, yes 6mg of Clonazepam is a fairly high dose. I don't know if it will be easy to stop - each person reacts differently to benzo's and I guess it depends on how you define easy. But if you have become physically dependent tapering can be done in such a way that you still function in normal life. I tapered from 2mg Clonazepam and I was functional throughout my taper. 

Hmm so I am really not sure about dates and all that, but ill try.

So I think I first started taking clonazepam around 4 months ago. It was fine for a while, I took max 1mg every few days. 
Then around 2 months ago I slowly started increasing. It was like 1mg to max 2mg every 2 days. Then it was every day around a month and a half ago. Around a month ago max I started drastically increasing it and now I am at 6mg every day.

thanks for replying!

I'm going to ask you some more questions. These questions are not to judge you or your usage. We don't judge at BenzoBuddies. The reason I'm asking is to determine your symptoms and how your body is reacting to the pills. This will help us guide you the best way forward okay?

What was the reason you kept increasing your dose? 

Today when you only took 2mg, what are all the symptoms you experienced? It will help if you can be very specific here.

1 minute ago, [[j...] said:

I'm going to ask you some more questions. These questions are not to judge you or your usage. We don't judge at BenzoBuddies. The reason I'm asking is to determine your symptoms and how your body is reacting to the pills. This will help us guide you the best way forward okay?

What was the reason you kept increasing your dose? 

Today when you only took 2mg, what are all the symptoms you experienced? It will help if you can be very specific here.

No worries, I know you dont judge, and I am so grateful for that!
I was kinda depressed when I started and anxious overall, didnt want to live. I wanted to feel chill ig, not caring and just being a great person to people around me. I didnt know how benzos rly work, I still dont fully know even tho now I do understand things much better.

So about 7h after my dosage of 2mg, I started to feel anxiety, like my heart is beating out of my chest, faster than usual and louder. Like my loungs are shrinking and I cant get breath in. I even felt a bit of twitching in my body but I am not sure if I was just overthinking. I was panicked and had thoughts about harming myself and even tho that day I thought about telling my mother about all thats been happening with benzos at that moment I just needed the pills, didnt care about telling her. I was kinda irritable. 

@[Ob...] it sounds like you have a good relationship with your mother. Will you be comfortable to reach out to her and tell her what's been happening? When we go through withdrawal and the things you're experiencing, it's so important to have that support in place. I also think it will be good to talk to your doctor about what you're experiencing. How do you feel about that?

6 hours ago, [[j...] said:

@[Ob...] it sounds like you have a good relationship with your mother. Will you be comfortable to reach out to her and tell her what's been happening? When we go through withdrawal and the things you're experiencing, it's so important to have that support in place. I also think it will be good to talk to your doctor about what you're experiencing. How do you feel about that?

I mean yeah, but in hella scared after yesterdays problem w anxiety. Ill try my best tho