Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Antibiotics

[Ch...]

what antibiotics we should not use. I am having all kind of skin issues on my face on my legs. I don’t know if related to use of benzo or something else. I know there are antibiotics that can flare up withdrawals can you please educate me. 
thank you 

@[Ch...] fluoroquinolones seem to be a no-no for most of us. When I took Cipro, I got a terrible rash and it set my taper back a few weeks -- I had to hold. Other buddies have reported different s/x with fluoroquinolones, so maybe best to avoid them. I've taken a variety of antibiotics before, during and after my taper. Most were okay. I think ABs are a very individual thing . . . what is okay for one person is not for another. Let me ask you though, have you seen your doc or a dermatologist for your "all kinds of skin issues"? You might not need an AB. You skin issues might not be bacterial. Just a thought. :classic_smile:

I am not home right now and I don’t know if bacterial or viral. I have not seen a doctor. Last time this happened I was put in 2 antibiotics. On my face never happened  I feel like a teenager my face is burning age I gave bumps everywhere. I have not started the taper in tolerance. I don’t seem to be able to catch a break. 

If you are on benzos, stay far away from the fluroquinolones (e.g. Cipro, levaquin), because they will block the action of GABA putting you into withdrawal. In addition, among their charming side effects are: insomnia, anxiety, depression, psychosis and dizziness.

Can I use doxycycline? I have a skin staph infection and skin dermatitis on my face. This 2nd staph infection sane spot in last 3 months. Is that benzo related? 

I have used doxy without any problems. The thing is though different people react differently to antibiotics. Some people react to doxy, some people don't. I personally believe though that if we need antibiotics, then we need to take them. Putting our health at risk by not taking antibiotics could be much worse. 

@[Ch...] I am having some kind of facial skin issue, too. It burns and I can't put anything on it, not even petroleum jelly because it flares up. I am flush in my face and I am swolken. It"s inflamed.

I have a dermatologist appt this coming week. I am hoping to get a good cream to reduce the inflammation and an antibiotic, naybe amoxicillin

I think it's from my benzo (Xanax, Ambien) withdrawal. I never had skin problems. I am so fussy with my skib that this has put me in a dark place.

I am so disgusted by what these meds have done to me. On the other hand, I am resisting temptation to go back on them in order to get this stuff to stop. I don't know if that would even work anyway.I hate that poison 

I agree to stay away from quinolones. I have had issues with them in the past. They gave me nerve pain. I won't go bear them. The other one in that group is Avelox.

Please let us know how you make out.

On 21/09/2023 at 17:43, [[C...] said:

Can I use doxycycline? I have a skin staph infection and skin dermatitis on my face. This 2nd staph infection sane spot in last 3 months. Is that benzo related? 

Did you see the doctor to receive the staph diagnosis? If so, antibiotics would be indicated. I have taken doxy without any issues. I do not believe the benzo use or withdrawal will cause a staph infection. 

Gave me doxy but I am so nauseous and my stomach is killing me. I am in a bad situation I don’t want to get up I don’t have any food. I am ready to give up and no taper yet. Just the symptoms of tolerance 

43 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Gave me doxy but I am so nauseous and my stomach is killing me. I am in a bad situation I don’t want to get up I don’t have any food. I am ready to give up and no taper yet. Just the symptoms of tolerance 

I find I have to take probiotics with antibiotics. I was on some heavy duty ones after my shoulder replacement via IV. I ate a lot of Greek yogurt and took a probiotic tablet and drank probiotic drinks. It really helped. Can you get some food delivered?

I had a staph infection in my c-section wound and it healed with the use of topical silver and packing the wound with silver by a surgeon. 

Edited by [Wi...]