Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taper Ativan when been on it daily 3 weeks?

[do...]

With sleep apnea plus stress I ended up trying several different sleep meds starting in mid-June 2023.  Used Ambien prn (almost every day) then didn't like how I felt and tried a few others.  Ended up using Ativan at .75mg for sleep starting on Sept 2nd and been using daily ever since (about (2.5 weeks today).  Have reduced it slightly on my own within the last week, but not confident in how I'm doing this.  I do have some rebound insomnia, and weird foggy headaches from AM until late in the day taht are really troublesome.  

My question is, for such a short amount of time on Ativan, do I even really need to "taper"....or is it easier just to stop?  I'm at 0.25mg as of last night but don't love how I feel?  Thanks!

Hi @[do...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Your use of Ambien might complicate the situation a bit because Ambien is not technically a benzo but it acts similarly as benzo's. Nonetheless, I would still try a faster than regularly recommended taper, because of your short use. Since you've already dropped down to 0.25mg, I suggest you stay there for a couple of days and lets see how it goes. Some uncomfortableness is to be expected, we just want you to be able to function. The less time you spend on these drugs, especially Ativan which is a true benzo, the better. 

Thanks for the quick reply!  Since Ativan leaves your system so fast, is it still best to take it right before bedtime (I actually tried 50% of the .25 mg at bedtime and then took the other 50% around 3am when I woke up -- is that problematic to take during the middle of the night)?  It wears off so quickly and then really hard to get back to sleep at 3am when I wake up...

Really appreciate the help!!

How long were you awake before you took the 3am dose?

Try that plan again without the 3am dose. If you can do that you will be so far ahead of the game we couldn't explain.

Either way eliminate the benzo.

Best wishes.

PS: "leaves your body" and feeling it are two very different things with benzos. Get rid of them.

Edited by [...]
Added and spelling
  • Like 1

I was awake about an hour before finally giving in on taking the other 50%.  You mean take 50% of the 0.25 mg at bedtime?

Not sure how I can get back to sleep during the middle of the night....

Really hard in the morning though....heavy, lethargic feeling in head - and feel like I don't wake up until like 2pm....then I'm alert for the rest of the day

9 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

I was awake about an hour before finally giving in on taking the other 50%.  You mean take 50% of the 0.25 mg at bedtime?

Not sure how I can get back to sleep during the middle of the night....

Yes try to get through just the 50% at bedtime. When you can make it all night, give it a day maybe and try without any. If you have to,  try 50 of the 50. But I would really just try. Get it in your head to get away from benzos.

You can do it.

PS: If your clouded and lethargic till 2. 

I would stop the 3 am right away. And very shortly the one for bed. Better to be normal tired the next day than benzo stoned. You'll sleep that night.

Best of luck

Edited by [...]

7 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Thanks for the quick reply!  Since Ativan leaves your system so fast, is it still best to take it right before bedtime (I actually tried 50% of the .25 mg at bedtime and then took the other 50% around 3am when I woke up -- is that problematic to take during the middle of the night)?  It wears off so quickly and then really hard to get back to sleep at 3am when I wake up...

Really appreciate the help!!

The problem is that benzo's only treat symptoms not the cause. Then you get physically dependent on them and they create a host of other withdrawal symptoms over and above the insomnia you have to deal with and it can also worsten the existing insomnia. Most people wish they never touched benzo's for insomnia. I never had insomnia prior to taking a benzo. Clonazepam actually caused insomnia in my case. I have been sleeping on average 3hrs for the past two and a half years. It's only this past two to three weeks that I'm starting to get five hrs now and that is amazing. I would strongly recommend you find other ways to treat the sleep issue if you don't want to stay on benzo's for the rest of your life. 

2 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I think the best would be to take your full dose at bedtime and try and manage your insomnia in other ways. 

With full dose I mean 0.25mg, I don't think you should split it up.

Exactly, I agree with jellybaby 

Glad you are sleeping longer jellybaby.

Find Another way donnaremy1237.

Edited by [...]

I know it sucks. I've been waking up between 1-3am in the mornings for over 2.5 years. It's only now that my sleep is somewhat returning and it's still not ideal and I don't know how long it will last (recovery is not linear). But unless you want to stay on benzo's for the rest of your life, relying on them to keep you asleep is probably not the way to go.