Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

alcohol/wine question

[tr...]

Hi everyone

I'm not a huge drinker but I do enjoy it on occasions and I have an event coming up. My husband and I have a sitter for our kids so it's kinda a nice date at the same time that we don't get often at all. Would it be a complete mistake to have a couple of glasses of wine? I don't want to set myself back but would love to be able to let loose a bit. 

X:)

Hello @[tr...],

You are still tapering correct? If it were me I would not have any alcohol, and I didn’t during my withdrawal. Alcohol does target the same receptors as benzos and some members experienced negative effects.

Like you, I’m really not a big drinker. I started having an occasional glass of wine after I was completely recovered. 

Without drinking, I think it will be a nice date night!

pianogirl :smitten:

• Like 1

Thanks @[pi...]! Yes I am still tapering, I guess was just hoping for some normalcy but I will stick to water. I guess this was a silly question considering I get nauseous after drinking regular juice :idiot:..lol ! I guess I am just trying to be as normal as i can, especially on these random special nights out! 

Thank you :classic_smile:

I am currently tapering and I still enjoy a beer. I drink moderately, with food, as normal during my taper and I have not had any problems. The ETOH can affect the GABA receptors if you are a heavy drinker and drinking on a daily basis, but you are having 1 drink, and not continuously imbibing for hours a day, every day. If it was the latter, then yes, the ETOH would impact the withdrawal. IIRC this was addressed in the Ashton manual and there was no recommendation to stop all ETOH, if used in moderation. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to update in case someone who has the same question and comes across this post. Ive been having frequent windows and yesterday was one of them. I had 3-4 mixed alcoholic drinks last night and went to bed expecting to wake up with a huge wave.  Luckily I did not. My window is still open -- thank heavens. We had a long drive home and i was and am extremely tired but thats just because of the night out and long drive🙂

i am not condoning anyone to drink alcohol and everyone is so different but just wanted to share my experience. 

Now onto the next phase of my taper