Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Feeling worse after switching to Valium?

[Md...]

Hello. I was taking 1.5 mg of Xanax for about 5 months, then interdose withdrawals kicked in, so I slowly tapered over to Valium (via Ashton Method). Everything went pretty good aside from some depression and lethargy, but that seemed to go away for the most part. 

But about a month later of being on just Valium (30mg, 10mg 3 times a day), I am feeling extreme lethargy, cognitive issues, and some body aches, and short term memory issues.

I have no motivation and am feeling incredibly apathetic. I just want to sleep all day.

Should I just start tapering or should I hold to see what if this clears?

I don’t think I’m in tolerance withdrawal, more like the opposite. Maybe the Valium just finally built up in my system and I’m experiencing it?

Edited by [Md...]

Btw, I’ll also add that I usually feel better several hours after i take the Valium. Energy levels are back to normal, ability to concentrate is better, etc.

if that helps any. 

Exhausted all the time is verry common. They tried Xanax on me 35 years ago I remember being zonked. Stopped em. Few years later I was put on k. Fatigue wasn't an issue with k. But with k the the massive fatigue and weakness came after discontinuation.

So for me the opposite of x.

I suggest just deal with the fatigue with valium, taper OFF, and don't play around with benzos.

You sound like one of the sensitive to benzos. You've only been on 5 months. 

Consider yourself lucky to have found this site so early on.

Good luck to you,

• Like 1

Hi @[Md...]

I’m tapering Valium after direct switch after a 19 day c/t from klonopin. 

Although there’s no guarantee of anything when it comes to switching benzodiazepines and tapering, I think you will find (based on your post) you have crossed successfully and the lethargy will decrease in time. It took me about a month to adjust to the strong sedative effect of the Valium, and probably even longer for the other symptoms from the underlying klonopin withdrawal to resolve. I would imagine most of the over sedation, lethargy and body aches will ease over a little more time. The short term memory loss is a common symptom for most, if not all of us, and is something we just have to deal with until we’re off the medication, recovered, and returned to normal cognitive function. 

I think, most likely you’re still adjusting to the Valium, whilst also potentially experiencing underlying withdrawal from the Xanax.