Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Years of low dose

[...]

Hi, it just dawned on me that I’m probably not sick! My doctor has diagnosed me with EM/cfs with a great deal of pain, general anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia… and all the while I’ve had my Valium and my sleeping pills handy (since my husband died in 2009). I’ve been a good girl cycling my meds to avoid addiction, and rarely more than 3 days a week. This summer my health has been worsening, so I’ve used more (daily) since I thought I needed sleep to recover (in 10 weeks I’ve had a slight fever for 6…) and last week I found myself begging my doctor for more, panicking at the thought of a no. He gave in, but I heard myself as an addict and haven’t take any since. What I did was start to read, and realized I’ve had between dose withdrawals, and now just regular withdrawals. My z-meds haven’t been any real break with the benzos, and with the half life of Valium I’ve not been clean for years with the exception of 2,5 years on anticholinergic meds that mess with your brain in a slightly different way. 
Anyone else had withdrawals after years of low doses? (Been daily this summer though)
Now I’m not quite sure what to do. I didn’t know you should wean off slowly, so been off a week. Feel like crap, but it feels wrong to start with a low dose. Any good advice?

Hello @[...],

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! It’s funny, or really not funny, how we think we are sick when it is the drug causing the problems. This happened to me as well.

Would you mind clarifying what medication you stopped a week ago, the Valium or the sleeping pills? It would be very helpful if you filled out your history in your Profile so we can address your particular situation. Additionally, what sleeping pill were you taking, you mention a z drug?

You’ve been off a week and aren’t feeling well. You can try to stick it out and wait for your body to adjust to being without the meds. You could also reinstate and taper from a low dose. I was always on a low dose and did taper with the use of the Ashton Manual.

Although you didn’t take the medications regularly until recently, it is still possible to develop a physical dependency. 

It will ultimately be your choice and depend on the severity of the symptoms you are experiencing. Whatever the case, we will support you. We can also offer information about tapering. Let us know how we can help.

Pianogirl  :smitten:

• Like 1

Jim, not sure how to do that. 😅I’m in Europe so the brand names are different, but I’ve take diazepam (my favorite with days of calm) and oxacepam + zopiclon and zolpidem.

This is the same kind of thing I went through not realizing I was never clean for years. I guess I have no good advice because I went cold turkey and it was pretty rough. I’m a year out now and glad to be where I am but I still experience big waves and plenty of symptoms. In retrospect I should have tapered but I had no guide.

• Like 2

@[...]

I also took low dose of zopiclone, as prescribed, 5 days a week for a year... And suddenly hit tolerance. Oh my, it's scary to be on two benzos and two z-drugs, these meds act similarly. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about reducing one z -drug. According to Ashton, diazepam is the safest. You know, it starts so innocently...

• Like 2