Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hey just needing perspective

[la...]

Hi beautiful people...Long story short..

I was prescribed Zopliclone as a night med but was experiencing interdose withdrawal (I had a problem with them in the past) which also resulted in me drinking to make them better. Then I was detoxed on diazepam. I very also been prescribed other meds like gabapentin which I have come off. 

I felt so bad that I ended up taking about 10 zopiclone a day for about a month. I ran out and drank then was put into a pyschiatric ward where they detoxed on diazepam over a course of 3 weeks. I think the dose was about 50 mg a day..then cut to 40..then 30, 20, 10, 5.

The beginning was terrible but I have survived and it's now 68 days since I've has a benzo. 

I have had the odd 'glimmer' which I think is me healing however I have just found out I'm close to getting diabetes and now I don't know whether my symptoms are now benzo withdrawal related or diabetes. 

Just wondering if anyone here has struggled with both and healed from benzo withdrawal and can give me some insight.

I still have awful intrusive thoughts, scared of very little things,  burning feet, neuropathy, brain fog, feel like gravity is pulling me down, tightness in chest, tinnitus, eye strain, headaches, no energy. Sometimes i feel the walls closing in on me.  I read diabetes forums and they have some similar symptoms lol! 

Edited by [la...]
  • Like 2

Hi @[la...] Welcome to BB. How are you feeling today? You have quite the story and have endured so much. I'm glad you're here and 68 days benzo-free. A massive congratulations to you love. This is a REMARKABLE win. 

It's so interesting you mentioned Diabetes because I have also been really struggling with Diabetes like symptoms for some time. I'm only 40 days off two benzos, but I still have neuropathy, tingling, and numbness in my extremities, lots of insomnia, tinnitus, intrusive thoughts... and food sensitivities. I'm not 'healed' totally yet but making good recovery. I hope others will chime in also and share their experience with you re: symptoms, diabetes etc. 

Proud of you and happy for you that you are Benzo-free. Your body will continue to heal. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi Lauzza, I am also glad you found BB.  I have all the symptoms you mention as well except they are so almost unnoticeable to me.  They were worse at some times during my, so far, 5 months taper, going on 6 now.  I have T2 Diabetes, and had already started a Ketogenic way of eating, and love it.  I can still do my daily tasks including the gym, walks, and starting line-dancing again at our local Elks Club, I'm not an Elk though ;)  It's open to the public.

I believe learning to taper slow, diet and exercise has everything to do with the healing I've started to have from the C I took for 35 years.  I'm 70-71 almost and I think it's pretty amazing, and a surprise since I've heard/read so many horror stories on BB.  I  have an "About Me" history in my profile if you'd like to read more about my journey.

One thing I'll mention is I started Magnesium 2.5 years ago when I started Keto.  I also use it topically for any aches, pains, or burning skin.  It takes a bit to soak in, the Mag. Oil I have.  Different strokes for different folks though, but keep reading as there are plenty of people here that have not just survived, but been able to live their life "as they are healing".  I believe my wd sxs have all been the benzo because I had my T2 in remission before I began my taper.

I had the neuropathy, and none of that any longer, and my painful leg and foot cramps are gone, my Tinnitus is 24/7 but I actually have less of that now, and sometimes zero at bedtime when it would keep me awake.  I got such sharp pin-point burning pain in my big-toes I was rolling in bed praying it wouldn't come again.  When I was tapering a bit higher dose I experienced more, and harder sxs, so I slowed my taper and doing very well so far ;)  I know you are off your med(s) and so glad you came here to be with other peers that can help you make it through.  I'm dreaming of getting off the benzo for good and joining the ranks of the "Long Haulers" group I believe it's called ;) Denise:smitten::hug:

• Like 1
  • Love 1