Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

New and need help with tapering

[pa...]

Hi, I’m knew to this.  I’m 61 and have been on .25mgs of clonazepam for 5 years.   I have a vestibular migraine and dizziness disorder and health anxiety.  I’m also hypothyroid and have diverticulitis.  
I know this med can cause dizziness and lately since having my first diverticulitis flare up and being on Cipro twice I’ve been dizzier.  Of course my doctors don’t think the clonazepam can cause dizziness after being on it this long.  I e never increased the dose and won’t.  I’ll be seeing my psychiatrist next month and I wanted to know what is the best way at this low dose twice a day to taper it.  I want to do a dry and hold taker I think.   Everything I’ve read on the Ashton method they are starting with much higher doses.  But I e read 5-10% per 2-4 weeks.  So if I started with let’s say the evening dose of .25 and took off 10% so it woukd 0.025 coming off, then after that would it 10% of the dose that is minus the 0.025 amount which would be 0.225 mgs so 10% would be 0.0225 deduction.  Does this sound right?  

I know when it gets close to my evening dose which is around 6, I start to feel nauseated at times but I also get dizzier within 2 hours of taking.   But my neurologist believes because I’m dizzy and off balance all day my brain is working very hard so by evening it’s very tired.  

im also taking 10mgs at bedtime if propranolol for migraines.  So if anyone coukd help me to figure out how to come off these small amounts I would be grateful 

I believe your use of Cipro is what has caused you to experience problems with the Clonazepam, there is a black box warning associated with benzodiazepine use when taking it.  https://www.benzoinfo.com/medications-and-supplements/#fluoroquinolone-antibiotics

Your plan sounds good and I like how much time you’ll be allowing yourself, we believe doing a symptom based taper will help keep us functional.  

This video may be helpful in explaining linear vs exponential tapers.  

• Like 1

Does this mean that I’m going to be messed up ever now that I took the Cipro twice in a7 week period.   I noticed the dizziness got worse but we thought it was the flagyl. I’m still having bad dizziness and have been off the Cipro for 6 weeks.  Now I don’t know if I can stop the clonazepam without things getting worse.  I did notice anxiety got really bad while on the Cipro.  I’m so upset that my doctors didn’t know this.  I don’t know what to do now.   It says it causes mostly neuropathy pain, muscle weakness and tendon ruptured but also effects the cns.  

I’m sorry @[pa...], my intention wasn’t to cause you more distress but to inform you so you can make the best decision going forward.  But this information does hopefully explain why you’ve been feeling this way and knowing is better than not knowing, at least it is for me, because fear and uncertainty are hallmarks of this process.

I’m not sure what to advise, but if I were you, I’d use the search function here to find others who have faced what you are, in my time here, I’ve seen quite a few, you can use the keyword floxxed.  I wonder if you might also start another thread using the word floxxed in the subject line asking for members with experience to weigh in?