Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Morning depression and symptoms

[Ju...]

Hi I am new here. I’ve been off clonazepam for about a year after taking it briefly and having previous withdrawals from lorazepam and Temazepam. I feel terrible every morning, depressed, and kind of shaky… of course sad thoughts. It seems to lift as the day wears on. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a form depression I have to live with now.

• Like 1

This is very typical in the recovery process.   As you continue to recover, these symptoms will lessen.    My mornings can be a bit difficult, but by the time the afternoon rolls around, I usually feel much better.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

This is very typical in the recovery process.   As you continue to recover, these symptoms will lessen.    My mornings can be a bit difficult, but by the time the afternoon rolls around, I usually feel much better.    

I’m noticing that too… I’m happy that I feel better part of the day.

• Like 1

Judy, years ago I read somewhere here on buddies that had cortisol spikes in the morning...would eat half of a nut butter sandwich and 1/2 glass of OJ before bedtime, and it seems to calm them in the morning. Of course I do know to get that link, but maybe it would help. Stay Strong.💖 Peace and Healing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, [[b...] said:

Judy, years ago I read somewhere here on buddies that had cortisol spikes in the morning...would eat half of a nut butter sandwich and 1/2 glass of OJ before bedtime, and it seems to calm them in the morning. Of course I do know to get that link, but maybe it would help. Stay Strong.💖 Peace and Healing.

Thank you! I will try it! 

16 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Many members attribute their morning difficulties to high cortisol which typically level off as the day wears on. 

I wondered about cortisol. I’m tired of feeling awful.

2 hours ago, [[B...] said:

How long did you use for? I used for a month and I went CT 8.5 months ago

I used benzo off and on during a 7 year period with different withdrawal episodes … the last time was about 3 months and it was clonazepam. I had no idea that that was considered a long term usage anyway, I’m sure paying the price now and cold turkey I guess was a dumb idea.

23 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Hi I am new here. I’ve been off clonazepam for about a year after taking it briefly and having previous withdrawals from lorazepam and Temazepam. I feel terrible every morning, depressed, and kind of shaky… of course sad thoughts. It seems to lift as the day wears on. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a form depression I have to live with now.

In addition to that, I’ve struggled with a lot of trauma over the last three years, which is why I ended up going back on a benzo. We had to relocate because our daughters group home closed that meant leaving 35 years of life and friends behind for a new city. Also, we couldn’t find a group home in the city we’re living in so she lives an hour away. I find that horribly stressful I also lost my disabled brother due to a medical accident at the beginning of Covid, and I haven’t been the same since. This benzo stuff is just making everything so much more difficult…. I need to find some calm inside me… it’s a lonely journey

You’re under a lot of stress and stress seems to be the worst for making our symptoms more intense.  And of course, it seems like every time we start and stop these medications, it gets just a little bit worse.  You’re right, it’s a lonely journey, no one in our real lives understands what we go through.  

How often are you able to visit your daughter?

25 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

You’re under a lot of stress and stress seems to be the worst for making our symptoms more intense.  And of course, it seems like every time we start and stop these medications, it gets just a little bit worse.  You’re right, it’s a lonely journey, no one in our real lives understands what we go through.  

How often are you able to visit your daughter?

We are very fortunate to have her for 5 days about every 3 weeks. I miss her incredibly but she is doing well at the new home and is getting a lot more stimulation than she would be living with us. I would love to move closer to her and maybe we will in time. My other daughter and granddaughter moved here to be with us though … they live 2 blocks away! I’m trying my best to adjust but benzo symptoms have my emotions flying in every direction. I have to believe that I will heal .

@[Ju...], even though its not perfect it looks like you have just about everything set up for your family, if only you felt well enough to be able to enjoy and appreciate it.  Your positive emotions are unreachable at the moment, most of us can’t access joy and love while going through this but these emotions will return and you’ll feel like you again. 

5 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

@[Ju...], even though its not perfect it looks like you have just about everything set up for your family, if only you felt well enough to be able to enjoy and appreciate it.  Your positive emotions are unreachable at the moment, most of us can’t access joy and love while going through this but these emotions will return and you’ll feel like you again. 

It’s very reassuring to hear this. In my head I know things are working out well for all of us but my brain is a mess. I can’t wait to be myself again.Thank you so much for talking to me and  for the feedback… believe it or not it really helps… I wish I had done this months ago

• Like 3

13 hours ago, [[J...] said:

It’s very reassuring to hear this. In my head I know things are working out well for all of us but my brain is a mess. I can’t wait to be myself again.Thank you so much for talking to me and  for the feedback… believe it or not it really helps… I wish I had done this months ago

I think for a number of years I was convinced by the doctors  that all of my issues  were just my depression and anxiety. I’ll be curious to see how well I get after another year of being off benzos.

It’s pretty typical for doctors to add more labels to us when they don’t understand what benzodiazepine’s can do. This is also how people end up on many different medications, the doctors are treating the symptoms of tolerance, withdrawal and recovery with more drugs, adding more side effects, its so infuriating!

2 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

It’s pretty typical for doctors to add more labels to us when they don’t understand what benzodiazepine’s can do. This is also how people end up on many different medications, the doctors are treating the symptoms of tolerance, withdrawal and recovery with more drugs, adding more side effects, its so infuriating!

It really is, in fact, at one point the doctor added an antipsychotic to the mix thinking that would help me with my sleep fortunately for me I didn’t like it very much.

1 hour ago, [[J...] said:

I remember when I was taking Temazepam becoming a bit paranoid …I was probably having between dose  withdrawal.

I experienced paranoia when I was recovering, its so strange to find ourselves confronted with so many symptoms of mental illness, no wonder the doctors doubt us, we check every box in the book but its due to the drug they prescribed. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I experienced paranoia when I was recovering, its so strange to find ourselves confronted with so many symptoms of mental illness, no wonder the doctors doubt us, we check every box in the book but its due to the drug they prescribed. 

So many things are becoming clear to me now. I really trusted the doctors and I’m not in the mood to do that again for a bit.