Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help 12 months out still having symptoms

[Ju...]

Hello I need help. I I didn’t taper when I was true about a year ago I thought I’d feel better by now, but I still get rubbery legs and vertigo,also brain zaps… and emotional symptoms. I’ve been on and off benzos for about seven years and I had withdrawals before my last stent was only for three months and then I quit cold turkey. The symptoms are improving slightly over time but it’s very discouraging. I hope someone has some words of wisdom.

Hello Judy Glass, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’m sorry to hear you’re still dealing with symptoms but this is normal, it takes a long time to recover from these drugs especially if we’ve taken and stopped them before.  It seems like the more times we do this, the worse our symptoms and recovery.

It sounds like you’ve seen some improvement so thats encouraging, I expect you will continue to see this as typical recovery for us is between 1 and 2 years.

We’re glad you’re here, I hope we can help reassure you that you’re recovering and will continue to do so. 

Pamster

• Like 1

Thank You for your reply! It’s good to know there is hope. What an awful ride. I just needed to know I wasn’t crazy.  I told my doctor him I had problems with these drugs and he put me on clonazepam saying that it had fewer adverse withdrawal effects ( for anxiety and sleep) boy was he wrong! 

Hello @[Ju...] and welcome to the forum from me as well.

I’m sorry you are symptomatic at one year off, while discouraging, it’s not uncommon. I was not well at one year off.  I was certainly happy to be a year away from benzos. I did find good very good progress the second year.

As @[Pa...] said, it’s good you are seeing and easing up of symptoms, that points to good healing happening. You are on your way, and we’re here to encourage you through the process.

pianogirl :smitten:

• Like 2

It’s so nice to have some validation… everybody looks at me like I’m totally insane when I say I’m still having problems with withdrawal 

Welcome @[Ju...] you are not crazy, but the ups and downs post wd, can be and are crazy, but it is not our fault, the Brain is trying to get back to its normal. I read an article before I ever thought of getting off of Valium...and it said that our Brains are in a sorta of twilight sleep, I know it sounds silly. But when you think about it, the benzo's have to calm our Brain, and may or may not help us to cope with what we were prescribed. But it indeed must change our Brain chemistry and it takes time, much more time than what we like to heal, but the wonderful thing is, that it will. I think it is a good sign that you have seen improvement over time, hang in there. Stay Strong.💖Peace and Healing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

Welcome @[Ju...] you are not crazy, but the ups and downs post wd, can be and are crazy, but it is not our fault, the Brain is trying to get back to its normal. I read an article before I ever thought of getting off of Valium...and it said that our Brains are in a sorta of twilight sleep, I know it sounds silly. But when you think about it, the benzo's have to calm our Brain, and may or may not help us to cope with what we were prescribed. But it indeed must change our Brain chemistry and it takes time, much more time than what we like to heal, but the wonderful thing is, that it will. I think it is a good sign that you have seen improvement over time, hang in there. Stay Strong.💖Peace and Healing.

30 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

It’s so nice to have some validation… everybody looks at me like I’m totally insane when I say I’m still having problems with withdrawal 

How long have you been off of benzos? You aren’t crazy. I feel crazy too but I’m pretty sure we aren’t. Lol. I was on Xanax and klonopin for 14 years. It has been a little over 8 months. There are people out there that feel just like you 

I have been off benzos now for 12 months .  I was  on and off  of benzodiazepines for 7 years. I have had some withdrawal before it seems that it’s different every time this time I wasn’t ready for such a long haul.

8 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

How long have you been off of benzos? You aren’t crazy. I feel crazy too but I’m pretty sure we aren’t. Lol. I was on Xanax and klonopin for 14 years. It has been a little over 8 months. There are people out there that feel just like you 

Sorry it says it in the title 

1 hour ago, [[J...] said:

Thank You for your reply! It’s good to know there is hope. What an awful ride. I just needed to know I wasn’t crazy.  I told my doctor him I had problems with these drugs and he put me on clonazepam saying that it had fewer adverse withdrawal effects ( for anxiety and sleep) boy was he wrong! 

Judy glass I'm new here too my gp told me the same clonazapam would not be a problem 🥴🧜‍♀️

12 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

Judy glass I'm new here too my gp told me the same clonazapam would not be a problem 🥴🧜‍♀️

I don’t understand firstly, why they prescribe it to anybody and secondly, after I told him I had a problem with it he still recommended it yes.

I know I've been on and off it twice...a dental surgeon put me back on it six now been on it been asking for help to come off it but they don't wanna know the same dental surgeon told me to get some cannabis too...they are all drug pushers.clonaxapam is known as a dirty drug in some dental hospital trust me to go to the wrong one namaste🙏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [[J...] said:

I just got my shinrix vaccine and I think it triggered this wave of symptoms… is that possible?

I recently had the Shingrix vaccine. I usually have some kind of reaction to vaccines and I did with the shingles vaccine. I felt flu like, had muscles aches and headaches.  From what I’ve been told by people in the medical field that I trust, having these effects is better than having shingles. Mine eased up after 3-4 days. 

Hi I had shingles last year on my thigh it lasted ages and the antiviral meds they gave me made me so I'll....also when I had my covid injections my face and upper arm swelled up don't if it was a reaction to the pin and plates I've had put in my body or what and I think the clonazapam was to blame for that I snapped my ankle snapped my upper arm punctured a lung and broke some ribs and a head injury I can't remember a thing only slipping backwards off the stair and knocking my self out I was in trauma ward 3months itgats all down to the clonazapam on my retirement I was going to sell up and have one big adventure hiking in India and Tibet before I was 70which is next year so I'm stuck.

7 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

Hi I had shingles last year on my thigh it lasted ages and the antiviral meds they gave me made me so I'll....also when I had my covid injections my face and upper arm swelled up don't if it was a reaction to the pin and plates I've had put in my body or what and I think the clonazapam was to blame for that I snapped my ankle snapped my upper arm punctured a lung and broke some ribs and a head injury I can't remember a thing only slipping backwards off the stair and knocking my self out I was in trauma ward 3months itgats all down to the clonazapam on my retirement I was going to sell up and have one big adventure hiking in India and Tibet before I was 70which is next year so I'm stuck.

Wow @[me...], that is a lot of trauma for your body. I’m sorry you had to experience so much. Don’t give up your goals. I had goals to get back to cycling and tennis, not quite as exciting as a trip to Tibet and India. I did return to these important parts of my life, as well as skiing. My only drawback has been a chronically bad shoulder that has nothing to do with withdrawal.

s

5 hours ago, [[J...] said:

I have been off benzos now for 12 months .  I was  on and off  of benzodiazepines for 7 years. I have had some withdrawal before it seems that it’s different every time this time I wasn’t ready for such a long haul.

I wanted to point you to this theory I happen to agree with, it explains why each withdrawal is a little bit worse. https://www.benzoinfo.com/kindling/

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this information! It explains a lot of what has happened to me. I’ve stopped and started multiple times … always cold turkey…. I guess I made a mess

• 4 months later...