Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium Taper Help

[Ri...]

Hi! I’m very proud that I’ve tapered down from 15 mg of Valium daily to 5 mg. My dr cold turkey discontinued my TCA last month and 15 days later I dropped 2.5 mg. It was all very dumb and I regret it (deeply) but I am struggling. Will things improve if I hold at this dose? I’m having a hard time functioning. I should have waited to drop any Valium and should only be dropping 5-10% every few weeks. Thank you! 

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  Glad you are here!  Congratulations on your taper.   You have done a great job.  

Yes, withdrawing from two psychotropic drugs at the same time can be very tricky.   Also, a CT from your anti-depressant is not recommended.   How many days/weeks ago did you drop to 2.5 mg of valium?  

One thing to keep in mind is when your dosage gets low, your symptoms can intensify. It is usually recommended to slow your taper as you approach the end.

I dropped from 7.5 to 5 mgs 25 days ago and dropped my TCA on the recommendation of my Dr about 40 days ago. I regret the timing and the size of the drop. I did really well for 2 weeks then boom, the 3rd week came and I’ve been having awful symptoms. Waking up every night at 2 am for the day with cortisol (?) shooting through me, almost catatonic, can’t focus or comprehend much. I’m a mess. Just trying to figure out what I should do. I still have work to get through. My Dr is awful and I went too fast. I’ve been tapering Valium since June. 

edit: and thank you!!!!

Edited by [Ri...]

Sorry for the confusion. I just updated. I am down to 5 mgs a day. My last cut was from 7.5 daily to 5 mgs daily. It’s been several weeks and I’m still in a lot of pain/struggling. I dropped too much and too close to ct’ing my TCA. I am going to hold before going any further. I have to. 

@[Ri...] there are several factors that are probably contributing to your current state. You have tapered very fast and your cuts have now probably caught up with you. Then you stopped your AD and the last cut you made were really big. I know it's been a while since you made the cut, but if you're not getting better and you're struggling to function you might want to consider updosing and going back to your previous dose. I'm really sorry you're struggling so much. I hope you see some improvement soon. :smitten:

• Like 1

Thank you! I’ve been getting better by the day!! Hopefully I will level out soon and can hold for a bit before starting the process again!! It certainly is a journey!!!

• Like 1

Please create, and use, just one thread for your taper planning and adjustment support needs.  This helps you, and the members who contribute to your thread, see what others have suggested.  Another benefit of one thread is that it keeps suggestions in one easy to find location.  Furthermore, it allows you, and others, to learn about your taper planning and adjustment experience from start to finish.  As a result, this thread has been locked.  @[Ri...] continued taper journey can be found here: 

[d1...]