Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

GP Advises to Cold Turkey 1mg Clonazepam

[me...]

Hi everyone 

Just spoke to my gp about coming off clonazapam she's told me just to stop it...I take 0.5x2 at night for 6years I cannot do this cold turkey 

God bless mermaid🧜‍♀️

I would not advise this.  I’m coming off the same dose for 8 years so very similar to you.  I’ve tapered for a couple months to 0.5 mg and thats still considered fast by a lot of people on here.  1mg for 6 years will likely cause some tough withdrawal and has a definite risk for seizures.  Try tapering 5-10% every 10-14 days.  You can go faster or slower than that depending on how your body responds.  

18 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Try tapering 5-10% every 10-14 days.

I think that's a reasonable starting point. After six years of regular use, a cold turkey withdrawal from 1mg clonazepam, although generally considered as 'medically safe', is risky from a dependency/withdrawal perspective.

I just wished to add, making cuts of 5-10% from 1mg clonazepam is not readily achievable. Assuming 0.5mg tablets are available, and the quartering of a pill is feasible, a quarter of 0.5mg pill represents a cut of about 12.5%. However, at relatively low doses, these kinds of reductions to dose are generally tolerable. If it turns out that the quarter-pill cuts are too large, there are methods to allow for smaller cuts. But we can cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

@[me...],

That is very disappointing advise from your doctor. I had to stop Ativan, a pretty small dose, for a vestibular test. My doctor said I might feel ill for a couple of days but that the dose was small so there would be no big issues. There were, big issues. Stopping cold turkey was really horrible,  an experience I would not wish on anyone.

As long as you have access to clonazepam, it would be best to taper slowly. Clonazepam is a strong benzo. Why don’t you look into the 5-10% reduction suggestion and do some reading here,

Ask questions, our member will be happy to share their experiences and knowledge.

pianogirl:smitten:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

1mg for 6 years will likely cause some tough withdrawal and has a definite risk for seizures.

I missed this before. Unless the patient suffers from a seizure disorder, the risk of suffering a seizure to a sudden withdrawal from 1mg clonazepam is low. I do not the size of the risk, but I do expect it to be very low. Else, doctors would do this with such regularity. Still, there are other very good reasons for not making this sudden withdrawal.

43 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I missed this before. Unless the patient suffers from a seizure disorder, the risk of suffering a seizure to a sudden withdrawal from 1mg clonazepam is low. I do not the size of the risk, but I do expect it to be very low. Else, doctors would do this with such regularity. Still, there are other very good reasons for not making this sudden withdrawal.

44 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I should have said low but definite risk.  While most CT seizures have been in patients at high doses it does happen with lower doses so just another reason to taper.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I just wished to add, making cuts of 5-10% from 1mg clonazepam is not readily achievable. Assuming 0.5mg tablets are available, and the quartering of a pill is feasible, a quarter of 0.5mg pill represents a cut of about 12.5%. However, at relatively low doses, these kinds of reductions to dose are generally tolerable. If it turns out that the quarter-pill cuts are too large, there are methods to allow for smaller cuts. But we can cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

I would respectfully disagree.  It is completely achievable with an appropriate scale and pill cutter.  If a 0.5mg dose Clonazepam tablet weighs about .170 g, you can easily taper down to an appropriate jumping dose of .05 mg which weighs .017g, using a scale that measures down to .001g.   This method may not be for everyone and there are other options when OP crosses that bridge.  I like this method because I don’t want to switch over to Valium and this gives me control over my taper.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I should have said low but definite risk.  While most CT seizures have been in patients at high doses it does happen with lower doses so just another reason to taper.  

Unless the patient suffers from a seizure disorder, at those kinds of does, it is not considered a risk. However, there are people with undiagnosed seizure disorders, or newly develop a disorder, or are barely susceptible to seizures - they all could be tipped over the edge by a cold turkey withdrawal from a moderate dose of benzodiazepine.

2 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I would respectfully disagree.  It is completely achievable with an appropriate scale and pill cutter.  If a 0.5mg dose Clonazepam tablet weighs about .170 g, you can easily taper down to an appropriate jumping dose of .05 mg which weighs .017g, using a scale that measures down to .001g.   This method may not be for everyone and there are other options when OP crosses that bridge.  I like this method because I don’t want to switch over to Valium and this gives me control over my taper.  

As I wrote before, they are ways to make smaller cuts if it should become necessary. Most people do not possess scales which will allow them to make such small cuts. But there are other methods to achieve small cuts without scales.

13 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

As I wrote before, they are ways to make smaller cuts if it should become necessary. Most people do not possess scales which will allow them to make such small cuts. But there are other methods to achieve small cuts without scales.

They are available at Amazon for 20 or so dollars. If one is to do a dry taper from Clonazepam Id highly recommend one. 

18 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Unless the patient suffers from a seizure disorder, at those kinds of does, it is not considered a risk. However, there are people with undiagnosed seizure disorders, or newly develop a disorder, or are barely susceptible to seizures - they all could be tipped over the edge by a cold turkey withdrawal from a moderate dose of benzodiazepine.

I’m sorry but that’s simply not true.  It’s a low risk but it exists:

“Withdrawal seizures usually occur in patients who have been taking these medications for long periods of time and at high doses. Seizures have also been reported with less than 15 days of use and at therapeutic dosage. Almost all the withdrawal seizures reported were grand mal seizures. The severity of seizures range from a single episode to coma and death.” 

As I tried to indicate, thresholds for seizure will vary. But, with no recorded seizure disorder, the risk is very low for moderate doses. The problem is that some people will be susceptible to seizure without them or their doctor knowing this.

I don't think we are much at odds with each other. We are just approaching this a little differently.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

As I tried to indicate, thresholds for seizure will vary. But, with no recorded seizure disorder, the risk is very low for moderate doses. The problem is that some people will be susceptible to seizure without them or their doctor knowing this.

I don't think we are much at odds with each other. We are just approaching this a little differently.

Agree.  The most important point is that there are plenty of reasons not to CT, especially after 6 years of use.  This poster has been given awful medical advice unfortunately. 

• Like 1

On 14/09/2023 at 13:18, [[C...] said:

Hello @[me...]

Have you tried quitting, tapering, or missed several doses in the past?

Hi Colin no I havnt my gp told me to just stop it but I've been on it six years this time last time I was only on it six months and the consultant just stopped it and I ended up in hospital for a week with high BP so I'm abit scared and I take for facial pain but it doesn't work anymore and I want to come off it thanks 

@[me...] I am not sure I quite understand. You were forced to quit cold turkey in the past after just six months use, and you ended up in hospital for a week - is that correct? Does your present doctor know this?

Agree with a small cut to start. Give it a month.  My acute from Klon didn't kick in for almost a month. If your ok try a bit  more.

You don't want to go up and down.

Absolutely start looking for a doctor in case you have a tough time. You don't want to be revved up looking around. 

The thing is, you need to make up your mind it's time to get off and not doctor shop to stay on.

The public is getting pissed. These won't be so available each year going forward.