Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Your thoughts on this?

[Ha...]

So, in the end of october i'm going to start weaning of my Clonazepam from 2.25 mg after beeing on it since mid may, so around 6 months total. My doc want's me to drop it with .25 mg every 4th week, and i just want to hear what your thoughts is on this? According to her it should be fairly easy, but most of us know that many (most?) docs knowledge when it comes to weaning of psychiatric drugs suck.

I was looking at the Ashton manual, but according to it, alot of people have a real rough time going from Clonazepam to Diazepam, so maybe it's best to stay with the monster that i already know? Or maybe the Ashton protocol isn't necessary when one hasn't been on it long term (years)? But i will definitely go slower than .25 mg when i reach 1 mg, depending on withdrawals.

Also, how long does your withdrawal symptoms usually last after each decrease? Or the worst of them?

@[Ha...], most members taking Clonazepam will taper directly from it, its fairly long acting so you shouldn’t have issues with interdose withdrawal which in my opinion, is the only reason to switch over to Valium.

You may be able to get away with reducing by .25 mgs and in less than 4 weeks for the first couple of reductions, we’ve found that those on higher doses can drop them pretty quickly but you’ll need to pay attention as you get lower, you’ll most likely need to slow down.

I wouldn’t set a strict timeline for your taper, letting your symptoms guide you is best so my suggestion would be to taper a bit faster at the beginning then slow it down at the end, especially if your doctor is being too rigid with your timeline, this could buy you some wiggle room towards the end. 

• Like 1