Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Akathisia in brain! Tickle/tingling sensation

[hl...]

I can’t take this anymore, I feel a constant overstimulation/akathisia sensation inside my head. It’s like a constant irritation inside my brain that won’t go away, it’s been 9 days straight now. I felt it before and it went away and was gone for 2 weeks, now it’s back!

I’ve tried Advil, Tylenol, Benadryl, propanolol, jumping in the freezing cold pool!

it feels like the dopamine receptors inside my brain are blocked! It’s chemical torture that won’t go away! It’s like a tickling sensation inside my skull!

i feel on edge ALL THE F****** TIME. I want to punch a hole through a wal and smack my head on the granite countertop 24/7.

wtf do I do? The only thing that helps is taking a shower then I get a tiny bit of relief for 10 minutes then it comes back.

i feel like my brain is poisoned, it feels so sore and full of toxins

im 14 months off my last dose.

17 hours ago, [[h...] said:

I can’t take this anymore, I feel a constant overstimulation/akathisia sensation inside my head. It’s like a constant irritation inside my brain that won’t go away, it’s been 9 days straight now. I felt it before and it went away and was gone for 2 weeks, now it’s back!

I’ve tried Advil, Tylenol, Benadryl, propanolol, jumping in the freezing cold pool!

it feels like the dopamine receptors inside my brain are blocked! It’s chemical torture that won’t go away! It’s like a tickling sensation inside my skull!

i feel on edge ALL THE F****** TIME. I want to punch a hole through a wal and smack my head on the granite countertop 24/7.

wtf do I do? The only thing that helps is taking a shower then I get a tiny bit of relief for 10 minutes then it comes back.

i feel like my brain is poisoned, it feels so sore and full of toxins

im 14 months off my last dose.

@[hl...] I hear you. Akathisia is one of the most painful and excruciating symptoms and if someone hasn't had it themselves, they cannot relate or understand it or give you feedback on what to do.

I have been dealing with severe akathisia for eight months now, almost twelve total but severely for eight. I am starting to have windows where I do not pace and the internal akathisia goes down to a 2/10 level. And it was a 12/10 for months. But it has not gone as you described. I think a two-week break is a good sign that you are on your way to complete healing.

I have had to stop myself from pulling hair out, banging my head on a wall, etc. many times so I hear you. That is just part of it.

If taking a shower helps, do that. Take as many as you need to. Use coconut or jojoba oil to hydrate your skin. I have had days where I take six-plus baths to get through a day. 

Coaching with Angela Peacock who healed from akathisia and believes in healing off of all drugs has helped me live through this. If you took something recently, even a Tylenol or Benadryl, that could make it worse and more lengthy so it is best not to take anything for it which seems absolutely ridiculous considering how torturous it is. The best thing to do is stay off of all drugs. I understand how hard it is, I am doing it myself.

I speak with other people who understand akathisia and help me get through the day. I have a few friends I met online who I connect with regularly.

I have someone (non-family) who comes to spend time with me regularly who understands akathisia. She had to be educated but she was willing.

Staying away from stressful topics and conversations helps. I stay away from the forum for the most part now but wanted to respond to another person in need as I know others have helped me in this way. However, the forum is not ideal for calming my nervous system. I  have posted here to get much-needed reassurance lately since like you, I am pretty far off of benzos. Taking Seroquel under the guidance of gaslighting doctors in benzo wd is what pushed my nervous system over the edge.

These are my suggestions. Do what you can and get social support. Get through the minute, hour, and day. Eventually, you will heal one day at a time.

Much love, buddy.

Edited by [Re...]

You sound so much like what I’m going through. I’m 14 months since a ct. I get no help from here. I don’t sleep and I’m crazy. My body and mind don’t work and I never get a break from the looping insanity. My brain burns and feels crazy. Like in the center of my brain where the brain stem goes into the brain. It’s too crazy to even say out loud. My knuckles are swollen from hitting walls. I get so frustrated and feel so desperately helpless and hopeless. Didn’t know a human could suffer like this. I guess it is internal Akathisia but I worry my dealing with it makes it worse. What are we to do? I’m here if you need to vent but I’m sorry I’m in the same boat.

Edited by [ro...]

11 hours ago, [[r...] said:

@[hl...]

Is this sensation localized to any particular part of your head? For example, is it just behind your right eyebrow, or something like that?

It’s generally all over my head but I feel it behind my eyes and maybe at the base of my skull and behind my top forehead 

6 hours ago, [[r...] said:

You sound so much like what I’m going through. I’m 14 months since a ct. I get no help from here. I don’t sleep and I’m crazy. My body and mind don’t work and I never get a break from the looping insanity. My brain burns and feels crazy. Like in the center of my brain where the brain stem goes into the brain. It’s too crazy to even say out loud. My knuckles are swollen from hitting walls. I get so frustrated and feel so desperately helpless and hopeless. Didn’t know a human could suffer like this. I guess it is internal Akathisia but I worry my dealing with it makes it worse. What are we to do? I’m here if you need to vent but I’m sorry I’m in the same boat.

I feel the same way as you… so hopeless and defeated. I’ve tried everything to get relief and I can’t find it. Advil, Tylenol, Benadryl, propanolol, even alcohol… nothing really works. It’s insanity. I’ve considered going to the ER but I know they’ll think I’m crazy and won’t do anything though

3 hours ago, [[h...] said:

It’s generally all over my head but I feel it behind my eyes and maybe at the base of my skull and behind my top forehead 

I ask because during my recovery I had what felt like an itch inside my skull. It felt like my brain itched, and I couldn't scratch it. Drove me nuts. Later I realized it was probably not inside my skull, but in a deep layer of my skin. Still not sure if I could have done anything about it. Eventually it just faded away and stopped. I don't know if this is at all similar to what you're feeling. I'm not sure what you mean by overstimulation/akathisia sensation inside your head. But I thought I'd tell you about my experience in case it's similar to what you're feeling.

4 hours ago, [[r...] said:

I ask because during my recovery I had what felt like an itch inside my skull. It felt like my brain itched, and I couldn't scratch it. Drove me nuts. Later I realized it was probably not inside my skull, but in a deep layer of my skin. Still not sure if I could have done anything about it. Eventually it just faded away and stopped. I don't know if this is at all similar to what you're feeling. I'm not sure what you mean by overstimulation/akathisia sensation inside your head. But I thought I'd tell you about my experience in case it's similar to what you're feeling.

It feels like my brain is just overloaded and burning, nothing really resolves it. It’s so hard to explain because I have no idea what it is…

it’s like a deep sensation inside my brain and behind my eyes. I’ve had full blown akathisia before and it sort of feels like that, that’s the best I can describe it, but without the desire to move just the deep burning inside.