Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium Taper Question

[...]

Hi all.

I've been on valium every day for about 2 years. I've always had 5mg tablets and sometimes I'd take a half and sometimes 5mg and sometimes I'd take 10. But it would have to average out to 5mg a night for the past six months. Maybe 6mg, really hard to know. I've recently cut down to half a tablet, so it would be around 2.5mg but as the cut is not exact it could be more or less. I've been on 2.5mg for about 2 weeks. I'm sleeping fine, as I take a Phenergen as well, but every 3 days or so I feel crappy, like I'm getting the flu, fatigue, sore muscles, sensitive skin...I just don't feel right. Then after 3 days of that I'll feel fine for about 3 days and then bad again. Does this sound like withdrawl symptoms. Is it something others have experienced that it comes and goes? And do you think going from 5 to 2.5 overnight was too quick a taper? Appreciate any feedback. I'm going to the Dr to check if there is anything else wrong, but I am assuming what I'm feeling is taper withdrawl. 

Thanks. 

Hello @Goss. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

All those symptoms could be explained by withdrawal. For how long have you been taking Phenergan? I suppose that could explain some of your symptoms (if its use coincides with your symptoms). I do not know enough about Phenergan to properly comment, but the listed side effects do not seem to match.

Assuming these symptoms are purely withdrawal effects, which seems very plausible, especially you have made large cut to your dose in a single step (halving it), it will probably take some time for everything to settle down for you. It is hard to say how long this will take, but some weeks seem probable. In your shoes, since you have been at this dose (2.5mg) for two weeks, and if I felt like I can manage the symptoms, I'd stick at that dose until I feel reasonably recovered. As I said, it will probably take a few weeks.

Yes, if you were to ask me in advance, I would have suggested smaller cut. But what is done is done. And you will have already partially adapted to the halving of your dose. Does sticking it seem like a reasonable option for you?

I took hydroxyzine in the past (and still do on occasion). Like Phenergan, it is an older antihistamine, but operates on different receptors. I know for hydroxyzine, it is only an effective hypnotic for a few of regular use. If it is the same for Phenergan, you might wish to moderate its use - check with your or pharmacist.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I think I can manage. Would you say the description of my withdrawl symptoms don't sound common? Sorry if I'm misreading your response.