Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does everyone suffer?

[Md...]

I’m currently taking 30 mg of Valium a day after swapping over from 1.5mg of Xanax. It was a bit of a bitch, but I’m good now despite some lethargy and minor bouts of depression. 

But after I get all my dental work done, I want to start tapering.

I’m currently working with an amazing psychiatrist who has been doing some awesome things when it comes to raising awareness and helping people get off this poison. 

But my question is this, does everybody suffer through withdrawal, even if you taper at a slow pace? I know that the goal is to be stable and functional while tapering, but even then it seems like there might be some unwanted side effects? 

That being said, I’ve also read stories of people slowly tapered off Valium and it wasn’t that hard at all, but I’ve also read stories where it was very challenging for people. 

So it just a random crapshoot every time, because everyone’s genetics and chemistry is so different?

Or is it really possible to comfortably taper off benzos? 

Has anyone ever heard of comfortably tapering off Valium? 

I guess only time will tell? 

I am wondering the same thing. I am fully crossed over to 10 mg of diazepam and will start tapering soon.  I struggle with fatigue and depression. I believe I have been in tolerance.  I really need to stay functional during my taper so plan to start with a 5 % decrease to 9.5 and see how I do. I would rather go really slowly than risk not being able to do anything. 

Do you know the mechanics of how you will be tapering?  My NP said we could use the diazepam liquid to keep it at 5% decreases if I can tolerate them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I am wondering the same thing. I am fully crossed over to 10 mg of diazepam and will start tapering soon.  I struggle with fatigue and depression. I believe I have been in tolerance.  I really need to stay functional during my taper so plan to start with a 5 % decrease to 9.5 and see how I do. I would rather go really slowly than risk not being able to do anything. 

Do you know the mechanics of how you will be tapering?  My NP said we could use the diazepam liquid to keep it at 5% decreases if I can tolerate them.

I’m honestly surprised more people haven’t answered yet.

Then again, Benzo Buddies is the place where most people go who are suffering, so it’s not surprising.

Anyway, my psychiatrist basically said 5% to 10% cuts every two to four weeks, but he believes in a patient lead approach and measures success by how functional I am, so it will ultimately be based off that.

We haven’t actually discussed the mechanisms, but he did say that he loves tapering people off Valium more than any other benzo, because of the amount of different ways you can do it, which makes the process easier.

Edited by [Md...]
  • Like 1

@[Md...]  Your psychiatrist sounds wonderful.  You are very fortunate to have him as part of your team.  To answer your question, not everyone has a difficult time coming off benzos, and currently there is no answer to why some have difficulty and others do not.   

• Like 2

Hi, I'm tapering Xanax. Started at .75mg and I'm down to .375. I cut about 25%.  So far, no problems. Some mild restlessness and tiredness, but it's hard to blame the Xanax when it could just be life. I'm preparing for a big move, there ae layoffs at work, I'm doing a lot of traveling, etc. I will say that the side effects and tolerance are worse than the withdrawal. The withdrawal is like an awakening, parts of my brain are working again. I really think it is all about how we look at the situation. If you read all of the bad, scary stories, you will have a miserable time. If you read the good ones, you will have a tolerable withdrawal. It all depends on what thoughts you feed your brain with. Go slow, cut the lowest % you can tolerate and look at all that is good.

Valium has long  half life- approx. 40 hours, so it will make for a smooth withdrawal. I thought about switching, but sometimes, the devil you know....

• Like 3

@[Md...],

@[de...] is correct. Each person will have their own withdrawal. There are a good many people who have little issues withdrawing from benzos. You likely won’t find them here, because they don’t need this kind of support. I had a friend who was given Xanax after a cancer diagnosis. She stopped it suddenly, cold turkey, and just had some insomnia for a while. 

The best advice is to take it slow and steady. @[Be...], I’m happy to hear your taper is going well! 

Little is known why some people have a challenging time, it could be genetics and how the body assimilates medications. 

Good luck with your taper, let us know how we can help.

pianogirl :smitten:

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

@[Md...]  Your psychiatrist sounds wonderful.  You are very fortunate to have him as part of your team.  To answer your question, not everyone has a difficult time coming off benzos, and currently there is no answer to why some have difficulty and others do not.   

I’m actually really fortunate to be working with him. He listens, he believes me, he doesn’t judge, and he’s aware of all the possible complications that come from benzos.

Thanks for your response!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, [[p...] said:

@[Md...],

@[de...] is correct. Each person will have their own withdrawal. There are a good many people who have little issues withdrawing from benzos. You likely won’t find them here, because they don’t need this kind of support. I had a friend who was given Xanax after a cancer diagnosis. She stopped it suddenly, cold turkey, and just had some insomnia for a while. 

The best advice is to take it slow and steady. @[Be...], I’m happy to hear your taper is going well! 

Little is known why some people have a challenging time, it could be genetics and how the body assimilates medications. 

Good luck with your taper, let us know how we can help.

pianogirl :smitten:

Thanks, I appreciate that. 

I had to crossover to Valium because I was experiencing painful interdose withdrawals from Xanax, and my previous general physician had no idea how to treat it. 

My new psychiatrist safely crossed me over to Valium has which has eliminated the interdose withdrawals. 

It has come with bouts of depression and lethargy but has gotten better over time. 

Unfortunately, I’m in a situation where I’ve been taking benzos to treat neuropathy (since they are anticonvulsants) that occurred after nerve damage from a tooth extraction.

Im kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place, because without the benzos,  the pain is 10/10. 

5 hours ago, [[M...] said:

I’m honestly surprised more people haven’t answered yet.

Then again, Benzo Buddies is the place where most people go who are suffering, so it’s not surprising.

Anyway, my psychiatrist basically said 5% to 10% cuts every two to four weeks, but he believes in a patient lead approach and measures success by how functional I am, so it will ultimately be based off that.

We haven’t actually discussed the mechanisms, but he did say that he loves tapering people off Valium more than any other benzo, because of the amount of different ways you can do it, which makes the process easier.

I don't reply because I feel I'm always replying to these and you must be sick and tired of hearing from me. Gosh  I get tired of hearing from me. ::) But maybe I'm one of the very few who don't suffer. 

Except for the start I never suffered. I do make it clear it is not a walk in the park for me. There are some very tough days but I cannot describe it as suffering. 

• Like 1

On 09/09/2023 at 00:25, [[M...] said:

I’m currently taking 30 mg of Valium a day after swapping over from 1.5mg of Xanax. It was a bit of a bitch, but I’m good now despite some lethargy and minor bouts of depression. 

But after I get all my dental work done, I want to start tapering.

I’m currently working with an amazing psychiatrist who has been doing some awesome things when it comes to raising awareness and helping people get off this poison. 

But my question is this, does everybody suffer through withdrawal, even if you taper at a slow pace? I know that the goal is to be stable and functional while tapering, but even then it seems like there might be some unwanted side effects? 

That being said, I’ve also read stories of people slowly tapered off Valium and it wasn’t that hard at all, but I’ve also read stories where it was very challenging for people. 

So it just a random crapshoot every time, because everyone’s genetics and chemistry is so different?

Or is it really possible to comfortably taper off benzos? 

Has anyone ever heard of comfortably tapering off Valium? 

I guess only time will tell? 

Hi there. Great question about whether suffering during withdrawal is inevitable. I agree with Pianogirl that benzo withdrawal is highly idiosyncratic. I think some of the early estimates were that about 50% of individuals experienced no withdrawal symptoms at all, but that was quite a while ago and I’m not even sure how reliable that figure was/is. (If someone wants to respond with more current info on that, please do! I’d be interested.) For what it’s worth, I had been taking a small dose of clonazepam (.25 mg/day) for two years. During my nine-week taper this summer, I experienced a few withdrawal symptoms but generally did quite well. I’ve been at 0 mg for three weeks and am doing just fine. FWIW, my husband is currently tapering off 1 mg/day clonazepam, which he had taken for 25 years, and he has experienced no withdrawal symptoms.

I agree that those who “do fine” withdrawing from benzos tend not to participate in these forums. I joined because I wanted a resource at my fingertips just in case something went wrong, but I had a hunch I would fare well during the process. Many years ago I discontinued alprazolam (Xanax) cold turkey because I didn’t know any better! I had insomnia, periodic electric “zings,” and ghastly nightmares for about two weeks, but then I was fine. Even so, I believe that the default for everyone should be a slow taper in which the patient is in the driver’s seat. My hunch was correct this summer: I did great. But I still think I made the right choice about taking my time and tapering safely.

I applaud you for getting educated about benzo withdrawal in advance. I know some of the stories are scary, but have faith in the brain’s remarkable neuroplasticity. You will get there!

• Like 5

No, not everyone suffers.  I have a friend who abused the crap out of Xanax for about a year and literally flushed the rest of his prescription down the toilet one day and experienced no withdrawal.  I think they say 50% of everyday users can stop benzos with little to no problem.  Another 40% will experience significant symptoms while 10% experience severe and debilitating symptoms.  

Chances are, if you’re on this board, you’re probably in the 1% of people who get absolutely decimated.  A lot of people here can’t work, are housebound, etc. 

Edited by [dj...]
  • Like 1

On 10/09/2023 at 15:06, [[j...] said:

I don't reply because I feel I'm always replying to these and you must be sick and tired of hearing from me. Gosh  I get tired of hearing from me. ::) But maybe I'm one of the very few who don't suffer. 

Except for the start I never suffered. I do make it clear it is not a walk in the park for me. There are some very tough days but I cannot describe it as suffering. 

You’ve always been very helpful and informative, so i personally have never gotten sick of hearing from you.

In fact, if I remember right, we share something in common in that we both started taking benzos to help with physical pain?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think starting from a place of stability is everything.  If you're not kindled, feeling good on your starting dose, haven't had previous withdrawal attempts, and have an understanding psychiatrist to give you sense of security...I'd say things will probably go pretty well for you

• Like 2

7 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I think starting from a place of stability is everything.  If you're not kindled, feeling good on your starting dose, haven't had previous withdrawal attempts, and have an understanding psychiatrist to give you sense of security...I'd say things will probably go pretty well for you

I had interdose withdrawals when I was on Xanax (shortly after i tapered myself down from about 2mg to 1.5mg) and my psychiatrist said I may have suffered from BIND, because my interdose withdrawal symptoms were all cognitive related (tons of head pressure and just felt like my brain was turning off), as opposed to rebound anxiety.

They successfully crossed me over to Valium, which eliminated the interdose withdrawals, and I’m totally stable now (I was stable on the Xanax too, aside from the interdose withdrawals, which were debilitating). 

I never kindled or increased my dose, but I’ve been taking benzos to treat my neuropathic pain after nerve damage that occurred from a dental injury.

My hope is that i can taper without too much trouble and find a better, more long term solution to treat the pain.

On 10/09/2023 at 17:06, [[M...] said:

FWIW, my husband is currently tapering off 1 mg/day clonazepam, which he had taken for 25 years, and he has experienced no withdrawal symptoms.

That’s great about your husband.  May I ask how far he has come down without symptoms and how long it’s taken him?  I’m coming off the same dose for 8 years and need to hear more positive stories like this.  Glad you’re both doing well. 

• 1 month later...

Oh my goodness I just saw the question you asked over a month ago! I’m so sorry for the delay! My husband is now in week #17 (out of a projected 25-week taper), so he’s currently taking .25 mg/day. He’s following a version of a “cut and hold” taper, where we reduce the dose by the same amount every three weeks. I’m a math teacher, and I originally suggested he follow an exponential decay model, but he rejected it (“Too complicated!”). Anyway, we are both doing great. Again, I’m so sorry for the delayed response, but hey - the good news is that we are still just fine!

• Like 1