Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taper advice please?

[La...]

Hi guys. On 4-5 mg Xanax for 25 yrs. Been tapering for 6 months off Xanax on my own because new doctor refused my refill due to the conviction in this small community. I'm down to just under half mg per day now. I cut every 10 days. Some say I tapered too quickly as I'm having all the symptoms but if I went to "so called experts" they taper 1 mg per week! Crazy! My question is, I crush the pills and convert to grams, I weigh my doses and take it 4 times a day to equal 1/2 mg per day. Do I need to take it 4times a day? Or should I do 3 times a day with larger doses? When I get to 1/4 per day the amount will be so small, almost unweighable. Any suggestions on dose and how many times per day when I get lower? I'm actually between 1/2-1/4 right now. The half life is so short and I'm not using valium. Would I take ever other day? Or just jump at 1/8mg completely. I hope my question makes sense.

Edited by [La...]

Hi guys. On 4-5 mg Xanax for 25 yrs. Been tapering for 6 months off Xanax on my own because new doctor refused my refill due to the conviction in this small community. I'm down to just under half mg per day now. I cut every 10 days. Some say I tapered too quickly as I'm having all the symptoms but if I went to "so called experts" they taper 1 mg per week! Crazy! My question is, I crush the pills and convert to grams, I weigh my doses and take it 4 times a day to equal 1/2 mg per day. Do I need to take it 4times a day? Or should I do 3 times a day with larger doses? When I get to 1/4 per day the amount will be so small, almost unweighable. Any suggestions on dose and how many times per day when I get lower? I'm actually between 1/2-1/4 right now. The half life is so short and I'm not using valium. Would I take ever other day? Or just jump at 1/8mg completely. I hope my question makes sense.

Hello @[La...] - 

Many members who use Xanax will dose up to 4 times a day - this, as you indicate is to compensate for the fact that Xanax has such a short half life.  Dosing Xanax several times spread out over the course of the day helps keep the blood serum levels consistent which in turn helps you remain as functional as possible and also helps address interdose withdrawal. 

I hesitate to suggest moving to 3 doses a day because I see you are suffering with significant withdrawal symptoms.  I think the most important issue for you right now would be to slow down your taper and hold longer between cuts.  

We strongly discourage taking doses every other day: it will cause a whip lash effect on your nervous system and likely unleash a torrent of symptoms. We particularly discourage this practice with a short acting drug like Xanax.  

Do you have a limited number of pills to work with or are you able to convince your doctor to refill so you can taper at a more cautious rate?

We typically recommend holding 2 weeks to a month between reductions (5-10% of your most recent dose) but this is a very individual process so using your symptoms to help you make decisions on reductions is actually the best way to taper.  

Hi @[La...], it sounds like you’re managing your taper quite well, and yes, we all have opinions on how they should be done but you have to find what works for you.  

The number of times a day you dose is completely up to you, but you’re right, when we get to the lower doses, we have to start eliminating them, it’s the natural outcome of the process. Some members will do a gradual elimination of a dose by moving their other doses to try and achieve a more balanced dose schedule.  Is there a particular dose you feel you could eliminate without too much disruption? 

As for your question about taking the Xanax every other day, this could prove painful as your blood serum levels would be anything but constant and with Xanax’s half life being so short, I’m afraid you’d experience intense symptoms as a result.  A slow, steady decline is much better for us.

Thank you so much! I did the math and yes, I can hold for 2 weeks per cut I'm very surprised that the so called experts taper patients so fast. They want to cut 1 mg per week or 2 weeks which is crazy fast. I started having significant withdrawal symptoms halfway through the taper. Red burning swollen feet/ weird heartbeat ( I've had 3 EKG s all fine, of course it didn't beat weird during EKG 😕) they are most troublesome symptoms. Ironically it was my pharmacist that recommended every other day, although he stated he's not an expert in this. I guess it's not a good idea to have a couple put away for "emergency". I guess I'll jump off after 2 weeks at 1/8th mg?

Edited by [La...]

11 hours ago, [[L...] said:

I guess it's not a good idea to have a couple put away for "emergency".

@[La...], benzodiazepines can be incredibly helpful in dire situations, if they were used strictly for that purpose, none of us would be here. The problem with having them on hand is, will they be used for true emergencies because even sporadic use can lead to dependence.  

As for when to jump, I’d let my body determine that, see how you feel when you get there.