Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Possible switch from Klonopin to Diazepam

[fo...]

@[je...] hello. You were very helpful to me some time back and I appreciated how patient and kind yoh were. I was planning a taper a year ago, I got long Covid and my dad battled cancer and lost so everything was put off. I started yesterday with a 3% cut and hold. I really prefer a microtaper but im so sensitive right now I didn’t want to risk a crash and burn because I’ve had such a hard time getting out of the gate. Im on 1 mg K (0.17g) daily. Can you refresh my memory as to your taper plan and how it worked for you? I just recall that you were helpful and I thought I would check in. I thank you. 

5 hours ago, [[f...] said:

@[je...] hello. You were very helpful to me some time back and I appreciated how patient and kind yoh were. I was planning a taper a year ago, I got long Covid and my dad battled cancer and lost so everything was put off. I started yesterday with a 3% cut and hold. I really prefer a microtaper but im so sensitive right now I didn’t want to risk a crash and burn because I’ve had such a hard time getting out of the gate. Im on 1 mg K (0.17g) daily. Can you refresh my memory as to your taper plan and how it worked for you? I just recall that you were helpful and I thought I would check in. I thank you. 

I think you have a very sensible plan. I would not be focused on microtapering at this stage. You have not done any tapering before so I always recommend cut and hold to start with. Microtapering can be a minefield to navigate when determining what taper percentage your body can manage. If you don't know what percentages work for you and you start your taper then cut and hold is much better in my opinion. Also at such a low percentage of 3%, you should be okay with cut and hold. 

I did not have a taper plan. I listened to my symptoms. I experimented a lot. I changed my percentages, I did cut and hold, micro taper, dry and liquid, holds when it got tough, lots of different stuff. I wasn't sensitive to tiny cuts. I learned that my 'functional percentage' was 7.5% every two weeks. If I exceeded this I would get into trouble. When I got Long Covid I slowed it down to 5% every two weeks I think (can't remember of the top of my mind), then I increased it again when I didn't feel symptoms (because I didn't stick to a plan). There was no rhyme or reason to what I did, because I basically followed my symptoms. And since I wasn't sensitive to tiny cuts or liquids it was okay for me to experiment with different things. 

The most important thing to me is to just start the taper, keep a journal with your symptoms and not be fixated on a plan from beginning to end. Be flexible and adjustable. As long as symptoms stay relatively the same throughout the taper, then the taper is on track. If symptoms get worse, then something is going wrong.