Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hypoglycemia

[Bo...]

Reactive hypoglycemia probs I had couple years ago in taper is back. Can’t even take my full thyroid med (prior to this I had hashimotos) bc it makes me so sick. 
I just need some support bc I can’t just eat anything like a smoothie or soup and be ok bc I swing so low. Eating every 2hrs chicken sweet potatoes reg potatoes carrots green beans unsweetened apple sauce. How I helped myself two yrs ago was I started eating keto waffles in morning jndtesd of full carb and that’s made all better that not much issue since fall 2021.

Here I am again and not sure what to do bc I can’t change anything else and limited food wise. Only briefly off medicine so I know things are swinging but it’s so hard dropped to 51 if machine was right yesterday. It’s usually after I eat breakfast which is chicken gf keto pancake wild blueberries and egg. Can barely make it an hour and I feel like death and have to eat lunch and then afternoon I’d barely move eyes closed and eat and then starving constantly.

I hate not knowing how to help my body and what to do. Please let me know what oghers have tried with this. 
also having issues with my Armour thyroid med bc it makes me feel worse and I take it with food now to have some help.

When does this get better 

@[Bo...] hey Kristin, yes I have dealt A LOT with the hypoglycemia while on the medication fully and while tapering. It is worse for me after breakfast and lunch and then seems to ease up in the evening. Sometimes it is excruciatingly severe and other times it is barely noticeable. I have no idea why some days are better or worse than others. Sometimes I can start to feel hypoglycemic immediately after eating, which is so strange, and no medical professional has an answer for this. Gary, the naturopath that we have both worked with, seems to think it is related to adrenals. I really don't know. All I know it is absolutely excruciating when it happens.

I do think it will start to go away for you as you recover, most likely with an ebb and flow pattern. Are you able to get in enough calories? Or are you struggling to eat because of nausea? I know nausea has been a factor in the past as well.

I don't really have any good answers, but want to let you know that this has been a primary symptom for me pretty much this whole time with ebbs and flows that don't really make too much sense. Very frustrating. 

I did read a story of another woman who had this so badly that she had to bring food into the bathroom with her when she showered. She was also on clonazepam. It seems to be a particular feature of this drug. Totally bizarre. 

Not sure what else to do except try to stay nourished with foods that work for you. That's really the only way I'm managing it right now.

Prayers, love, and hope, Anna💜🙏

• Like 1

Hi Boges11, so sorry to hear you are going they this again. You beat it before and you'll do so again. I had this badly when tapering it's gone now 7 months out, it was one of the first things to go. One thing that really helped me was to eat the same foods every week . It sounds boring but wasn't and really helped. By doing this I was only eating foods that I didn't react to and it gave my nerves a break. It will go stay strong. 

• 4 weeks later...

Please have your dr change your thyroid meds so it’s more tolerated. It’s imperative. Your thyroid has a relationship to your pancreas and will slow or speed it up pancreatic function accordingly. I have pancreatic insufficiency and while I think it has a little to do with my long term benzo use I also do not having a thyroid. I’m going to switch to Armour Thyroid tomorrow and I’m praying I do not have the same reaction. I been on Levothyroxine for 17yrs but my levels are so variable. 

• 3 weeks later...

@[An...] @[Bo...]

this has been happening to me. It’s so awful  and I’m so scared. Bg down to 42 after a banana and a protein shake. I’m having a hard time finding anything to eat and carbs for sure make it worse. I’ve been looking into it a lot. Clonazepam and benzos can cause hypoglycemia with acute toxicity so it’s not surprising that in some way it is still effecting us. Also, please look into dumping syndrome. Don’t drink anything 30min after eating and lay down or recline for 30 minutes after eating. 

• Like 1