Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Diazepam taper help

[...]

I've been tapering off of Valium after using lorazepam for anxiety that really ramped up after having and recovering from COVID 3 times. The anxiety isn't from being anxious from anything on its own but I'm guessing from changes to my body after COVID.

Anyway, my dose of Diazepam started at 10mg every 12 hours in January. Now I'm down to .25mg every 12 hours. I've been on this dose for a couple of months. I've tried to taper further but have had problems with the withdrawal symptoms. A couple of questions...

These are 2mg tablets I'm using to taper with. Advice on putting in a suspension or how to more accurately cut the pill for further accurate reduction and tapering schedule? Abby other advice? The body aches, slight tremors in the hands, headaches, anxiety (obviously), nightmares, night sweats, and racing heart are very real for me. I currently also take 60mg of Propranolol ER one every 24hrs at night which helps with the heart and adrenaline surges and constant adrenaline feelings I have otherwise. 

Do you find these symptoms especially the adrenaline match with coming off of long term (1 year) lorazepam/diazepam usage? Any other advice?

45 year old male.

Hello @[...] Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Well done with your taper - you are most of the way to completion!

You might have a pharmacist compound a liquid for you to allow for smaller cuts. But you will probably require a prescription for this and it will be more expensive. There are over the counter suspension vehicles available too - you will need to talk with your pharmacist. I expect they would be a cheaper option, but maybe not as reliable as compounded liquid.

Another possible approach is to take 0.25mg Valium just once per day. This may or may not work for you.

Hi, @[...].  As @[Co...] stated, congratulations on your taper!  You are almost there!  If you feel you need to continue your taper going down further before jumping, Colin brought up viable options.

Many people do taper down below .5mg per day, but jumping from this dose is safe also.  It sounds as if you may be aware of the Ashton Manual, but just in case I've attached a link here.  It is filled with valuable information and validates the symptoms you are experiencing.  I am tapering diazepam and experience adrenaline surges as well.

Are you in the US?  If so, are you and your doctor aware that a 5mg/5mL (1mg/1mL) oral solution of diazepam is available via prescription? (See link below to the official FDA Drug Label from one of the manufacturers.)  An advantage of using the prescription liquid is that it has been proven to be a homogeneous solution; each and every milliliter of the liquid contains exactly the same amount of the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (i.e., diazepam).

DailyMed - DIAZEPAM solution
https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=9e85abed-1a8b-4762-a31f-f2c7f196b8af

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm