Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does our look goes back to the "normal" after all this?

[fu...]

Some say they aged a lot but I wonder if their skin, hair and muscles went back to a healthy and better look after the tapering and withdrawal.

What are/were your experiences?

• Like 1

@[fu...]

Yes, the less of the BZD poison you take, the better you look. I mean the less chemistry the better. But if you have a dual dx, then some meds may be needed. The BZD are CNS depressants. So if you look into your eyes in the mirror, you may see sadness.

Someone in my family is on BZD and always appears cheerful, but this person is a great "actress". When I went into 8-day Ambien detox in hospital, the professor who was head of the unit told me: "You cannot sleep, but you look great." I felt like crap, BTW. But he must have noticed some difference.

Some meds cause the hair to fall out a lot. Then I guess the only remedy is proper nutrition and multivitamins. Muscles atrophy if people don't exercise.

BZD and exercise are not the best match😆 I can dance a bit to Nirvana's music, cause such is my state of mind. Anything too optimistic just repulses me.

I'm using dark humor to get by. Also laughing at myself. Laughter through tears, you know. Laughter is important, it oxygenates the brain. I adore Woody Allen's and Coen brothers' comedies. Laughter, pure, genuine laughter - actually alters the way one looks. I have never been a very serious person...

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

@[fu...] @[Es...]

Have you noticed any aging especially around your eyes? It seems maybe puffiness I had on the drug wrntcdown and now ai have loose wrinkled skin below my my eyes making me look years older. I have to get rid of it. I hope it can be lasered . My skin is dry and my face is super sensitive. I hate these drugs!

• Like 1

@[Gr...]

Are you using any good eye cream? I've always chose my eye creams with great care, cause I'm also allergic to many things. I used Shiseido "Bio-Performance Eyes" for more than two decades, until they discontinued it. I'm allergic to Shiseido "Bénéfiance" around the eye area. The Japanese are really big on skin care.

It makes sense to get interested in cosmetology, and know how different ingredients work. Cause you can get a great eye cream for a little price. With Shiseido you obviously pay for the brand. I'm into Japanese and Korean brands when it comes to skincare, French are also good. Right now I'm using Clarins Double Serum Hydrolipidic System Eye, sent you a link from Amazon so that you get the picture of what it is.

Honestly, you can get a good eye cream at half that price, but I always used eye creams with pumps. I did an extensive research prior to buying this, but I still know very little about cosmetology, which fascinates me. Too many things fascinate me, that's the problem🙈 You can check eye emulsion bestsellers for mature skin on any Amazon, they always start with cheaper ones. I assume you have mature skin?

I still trust Amazon, I chiefly check Japanese and American. And this Clarins serum was popular in Japan. Here is a list of Under eye bestsellers from Amazon US. I would absolutely avoid retinol.

I also found a nice article, How to De-Puff Your Eyes, According to Dermatologists. Totally forgot about those ice rollers, I love them for the whole face, but there are compact ones designed specifically for under the eye area, here is the bestseller list of those you could use all over your face.

I'm curious about the ones you could use specifically under the eye area, like this, it's with green tea or this - vitamin C, caffeine & antioxidant complex. I trust the Japanese Amazon reviews 100%, this nation would never cheat you on anything. I struggle with dark circles under eyes, but I quit using make-up like back in 2011? I only laminate my eyelashes and eyebrows, cause I'm a blonde. I'm against all these laser treatements. A good eye massage would do. Ageing is a natural process, one must avoid the sunshine. Wow, that was an epic post😆

@[Es...] I never had a problem with my skin care. I used Murad Essential-C for my eyes until this disaster. I always toned with aloe & witch hazel, sometimes with cucumber. I don't stay in sun. I've always had normal skin.  I think now I am having an allergic reaction to either V or Lexapro. My entire face is swollen. My left eye is swollen all way down to my cheek and hurts and that may be why I have these lumps. My face has broken out in hives, it's red, the texture is rough. I had nice skin!!  It was fine the day before I started. all this stuff. I even told my husband my skin was looking good.  It's gone bad since. I don't know which it is but I don't want either now. I am so sick of this whole thing. Plus I'm having headaches and profusely sweating while my room is 59 degrees. I have to wing this naturally. I am overwhelmed. 

I am tired of worrying about eating histamines and all that other atuff because I think this stuff acts on us no matter what. There are people all over thexworld with different diets.  Ashton even mentioned that. I can't drive myself crazy with evertyhing I eat. I eat Mediterraean Diet. That's good enough for the Heart Assn. 

I am lost.

1 hour ago, [[E...] said:

But you're on Valium? Xanax is a med from hell.

I'd say all medicines have plusses and minuses. Yes, even including benzodiazepines or specific benzodiazepines.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I'd say all medicines are plusses and minuses. Yes, even including benzodiazepines or specific benzodiazepines.

Yes, but Xanax has these euphorizing properties. I asked my pdoc the other day if Klonopin is more addictive than Valium and he said yes, but Xanax is considered the most addictive. It depends on how badly you want to set yourself free. Taking diazepam is a nightmare. Idk, I just want to reduce diazepam to the lowest possible dose, so I prefer something that makes me feel bad.

Edited by [Es...]

@[Co...] Oh Colin, what is going on with me? My doc put me on 6mg V and 5mg Lexa the other day to help stabiluze me so I can taper. My skin was fine. it was back to normal. Since using these, my eye has blown up.with edema. I'm swolle with rough bumpy itchy rash on my face. Why my face, I ask?  I am sweating at night in a freezing cold room. I don't know which may be doing it. I don't know how I am ever going to be well. X seemed like a desperate idea just because I seemed fine before I stopped. All of this is complicated for me to understand why it targets places that don't even seem to be connected. 

I am fragile theoughout this. Wondering how I trusted a simple pill.

55 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

@[Gr...]

Could it be the Lexapro? What dose are you on? Here they mention "puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips", never had this sxs. 

@[Es...] Lowest dose 5mg but that doesn't mean anything when you're allergic. I stopped it. See if this gets better. I know last week I had 3 days of only V and I got a rash. I may wind up winging this which is scary because I had tremors the other day while winging it. I am in a bad place. My life has stopped. I would be so active now. Ivam like a vegetable.

I am in a really bad place

Edited by [Gr...]

On 02/09/2023 at 14:34, [[f...] said:

Some say they aged a lot but I wonder if their skin, hair and muscles went back to a healthy and better look after the tapering and withdrawal.

What are/were your experiences?

Hello @[fu...], my appearance returned to normal when I recovered, but I’d aged a few years on the drug and recovering from it but other than the normal aging process, I looked the same. 

1 minute ago, [[P...] said:

Hello @[fu...], my appearance returned to normal when I recovered, but I’d aged a few years on the drug and recovering from it but other than the normal aging process, I looked the same. 

@[Pa...] I broke out from one of the meds I think or it's the aging thing. I I don't know. I'm inflamed. Edema Round my eye. 

54 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

Yes, but Xanax has these euphorizing properties. I asked my pdoc the other day if Klonopin is more addictive than Valium and he said yes, but Xanax is considered the most addictive. It depends on how badly you want to set yourself free. Taking diazepam is a nightmare. Idk, I just want to reduce diazepam to the lowest possible dose, so I prefer something that makes me feel bad.

I tend to avoid blanket statements, especially when it comes to something like medications (which are well-known for varied results). So when I read such a statement, I likely will comment. But I do not deny that a medication like Xanax can cause some serious problems for some people.

I don't really disagree with you - I am just trying to inject some nuance.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

I'd say all medicines are plusses and minuses. Yes, even including benzodiazepines or specific benzodiazepines.

@[Co...]

How about this link? Since you guys reject all the links I provided from addiction centers. If someone hates broccoli and is forced to eat it everyday, they'd do everything to stop. Someone said diazepam is the most depressing drug on Earth. Clonazepam has some affinity to serotoninergic receptors, which already makes it more attractive. There was some logic in the fact that Ashton wanted all the patients to substitute to diazepam... I only know diazepam, clorazepate and bromazepam. Someone close to me takes Xanax and is high functioning, but this person actually prefers booze. I think the Big Pharma tweak these molecules to make them more and more addictive.

52 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

@[Co...] Oh Colin, what is going on with me? My doc put me on 6mg V and 5mg Lexa the other day to help stabiluze me so I can taper. My skin was fine. it was back to normal. Since using these, my eye has blown up.with edema. I'm swolle with rough bumpy itchy rash on my face. Why my face, I ask?  I am sweating at night in a freezing cold room. I don't know which may be doing it. I don't know how I am ever going to be well. X seemed like a desperate idea just because I seemed fine before I stopped. All of this is complicated for me to understand why it targets places that don't even seem to be connected. 

I am fragile theoughout this. Wondering how I trusted a simple pill.

You have probably posted about it, but I do not recall - have you taken Valium or Lexapro before?

this is toture. On top of all the other garbage this is doing to me, why is attacking my skin?  It's important to me. I can't go in public. I don't even want my husbamd to see me. It's all a mess. so dry too. 

@[Gr...]

You could have become allergic to Lexapro. If you stop it, you need to see a doctor ASAP, even if it's 5 mg. Once it leaves your system, and that will last a couple of days, you're bound to get in touble. It's half-life is 27-32 hrs. After 6 days, 99% of the med is out of your body and you're in big trouble. You need to have a substitute, only a pdoc can provide it. We do not mess with SSRIs. Been there, done that, the consequences were tragic.

@[Gr...]

Yeah, Lexapro makes your skin super oily. It flared up my acne like hell. My skin on Lexapro was one huge disaster, as I have naturally oily skin. Only Effexor XR was worse. Zyrtec may have additionally dried up your face, antihistamines are great for the skin but terrible for the waistline.

Edited by [Es...]

1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

You have probably posted about it, but I do not recall - have you taken Valium or Lexapro before?

@[Co...] No. First for both. I didn't take Lexapro today. I'll stop it first. 

I am mentally exhausted from this almost 3 month ordeal. It should not take this long for anyone to relieve themselves of a med. No offense, but I don't want to be on this site for months, years, still trying to figure out what is going on. 

2 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

@[Gr...]

You could have become allergic to Lexapro. If you stop it, you need to see a doctor ASAP, even if it's 5 mg. Once it leaves your system, and that will last a couple of days, you're bound to get in touble. It's half-life is 27-32 hrs. After 6 days, 99% of the med is out of your body and you're in big trouble. You need to have a substitute, only a pdoc can provide it. We do not mess with SSRIs. Been there, done that, the consequences were tragic.

@[Es...] I only took 4 pills so far