Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Please support my tapering from xanax and clonopin

[Ho...]

Have been taking clonazepam for last 4-5 year and tried with tapering using Valium but no success most of the time

now I am on xanax(1.5 mg ) and clonopin( 1.5 mg ) to help me sleep and do all my daily activities 

please help me to quit this shit 

Need support 

Just now, [[H...] said:

Have been taking clonazepam for last 4-5 year and tried with tapering using Valium but no success most of the time

now I am on xanax(1.5 mg ) and clonopin( 1.5 mg ) to help me sleep and do all my daily activities 

please help me to quit this shit 

Need support 

My age is 40

Diabetic 

Just now, [[H...] said:

Hello @[Ho...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’m so sorry to hear things haven’t gone well when you’ve attempted to taper, its an extremely difficult process, as you’ve found out.

Can you tell us more about your Valium taper, did you slowly cross over from the Clonazepam then begin to taper from the Valium as is suggested in the Ashton manual?  I’m just trying to determine what went wrong.  Valium is slow to build in our system so if we don’t cross over a little at a time, we can feel extreme withdrawal symptoms while still taking both medications.

How long have you been on the Xanax, and how many times a day are you dosing?  Wondering if you’re experiencing withdrawal symptoms before your next dose since it’s so short acting.  And are you now taking Klonopin, just want to make sure I have it right. 

These darn drugs begin to cause the very issues we went on them to address, namely anxiety and insomnia only its 100 times worse, I know you’re suffering.

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will permit, we’ve found a symptom based taper has the best chance of keeping us functional.

Please make yourself at home and let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

Hello again @[Ho...], as I mentioned in my message to you I accidentally deleted your thread, but I’ve restored it now, so please come back and let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2023 at 04:31, [[P...] said:

Hello @[Ho...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’m so sorry to hear things haven’t gone well when you’ve attempted to taper, its an extremely difficult process, as you’ve found out.

Can you tell us more about your Valium taper, did you slowly cross over from the Clonazepam then begin to taper from the Valium as is suggested in the Ashton manual?  I’m just trying to determine what went wrong.  Valium is slow to build in our system so if we don’t cross over a little at a time, we can feel extreme withdrawal symptoms while still taking both medications.

How long have you been on the Xanax, and how many times a day are you dosing?  Wondering if you’re experiencing withdrawal symptoms before your next dose since it’s so short acting.  And are you now taking Klonopin, just want to make sure I have it right. 

These darn drugs begin to cause the very issues we went on them to address, namely anxiety and insomnia only its 100 times worse, I know you’re suffering.

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will permit, we’ve found a symptom based taper has the best chance of keeping us functional.

Please make yourself at home and let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

Thanks brother for such a great community,

Currently on 2.5 mg of xanax at night

Stopped clonopin since last one week

I don't know, I have came very closer to tapering off with Valium from clonopin but when I when I reached 10 mg of Valium I again went back to 20 mg Valium then switched to clonopin and chlordiazepoxide 25 by doc, but unfortunately chlordiazepoxide didn't seemed to help , I went back to clonopin alone and then after few days clonopin and xanax on my own

And now only on xanax 2.5 mg at night

I am the only earning member of family can't stay at home I have responsibilities

My wife and my daughter they support me as much as they can

Don't is this right time to taper or should I wait and plan

Thanks brother 

Hi there @[Ho...], it looks like you stopped the Klonopin/Clonazepam but added 1 mg to your Xanax dose, is there any reason why you chose to stick with the Xanax instead of the Klonopin?  The reason I ask is because Klonopin has a longer half life which can make  it a little smoother to  taper from.  

If you only take your dose once a day, are you experiencing any interdose withdrawal, meaning, do you feel symptoms coming on before its time for your next dose?

2 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Hi there @[Ho...], it looks like you stopped the Klonopin/Clonazepam but added 1 mg to your Xanax dose, is there any reason why you chose to stick with the Xanax instead of the Klonopin?  The reason I ask is because Klonopin has a longer half life which can make  it a little smoother to  taper from.  

If you only take your dose once a day, are you experiencing any interdose withdrawal, meaning, do you feel symptoms coming on before its time for your next dose?

Dear Pam 

I guess it makes me wake up fresh xanax

And combining xanax and clonazepam

I don't feel fresh while waking up in the morning, so was just trying

It's only 7-8 days that I quit clonazepam and taking xanax

Would you advise me to take clonazepam too ?

I don’t understand what feeling fresh is but it doesn’t really matter for this discussion.  

I have a question, when you went from a combined dose of 3 mgs clonazepam and Xanax to 2.5 mgs of just Xanax, did you feel any withdrawal symptoms?

13 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I don’t understand what feeling fresh is but it doesn’t really matter for this discussion.  

I have a question, when you went from a combined dose of 3 mgs clonazepam and Xanax to 2.5 mgs of just Xanax, did you feel any withdrawal symptoms?

Yes there were some withdrawal symptoms initially for 2-3 days

But then it's just okay yesterday I had to take 3 mg to fall asleep

Should I add clonazepam and reduce xanax ?

Please suggest 

Insomnia is a bi-product of this process, I’m afraid you’re going to be in for a lot of sleepless nights if you want to be rid of this medication. 

Are you planning to stay at 3 mgs for the time being?  What benzodiazepine you choose to be on is entirely up to you and your doctor, is the same one prescribing both medications?

Yes, Clonazepam is better for tapering because of it’s longer half life but members have been successful tapering from Xanax, it just requires more dosing to keep interdose withdrawal from becoming a problem.

If you like, you can taper from both medications, if you choose to do that, I would suggest reducing the Xanax first and tapering the Clonazepam last.

Insomnia is a bi-product of this process, I’m afraid you’re going to be in for a lot of sleepless nights if you want to be rid of this medication. 

Are you planning to stay at 3 mgs for the time being?  What benzodiazepine you choose to be on is entirely up to you and your doctor, is the same one prescribing both medications?

Yes, Clonazepam is better for tapering because of it’s longer half life but members have been successful tapering from Xanax, it just requires more dosing to keep interdose withdrawal from becoming a problem.

If you like, you can taper from both medications, if you choose to do that, I would suggest reducing the Xanax first and tapering the Clonazepam last.

You mean I should reduce the xanax like 1mg or 1.5 then start taking clonazepam and then taper?

Just now, [[H...] said:

You mean I should reduce the xanax like 1mg or 1.5 then start taking clonazepam and then taper?

it just requires more dosing to keep interdose withdrawal from becoming a problem. 

Please explain this brother 

Just now, [[H...] said:

it just requires more dosing to keep interdose withdrawal from becoming a problem. 

Please explain this brother 

Most members who are using Xanax to taper will dose up to 4 times a day to keep their blood serum levels as constant as possible to avoid interdose withdrawal.  This is when the drug leaves our system and we begin to have symptoms before our next dose.  Clonazepam has a longer half life so members can typically get away with dosing about twice a day.  This makes tapering less intrusive on our daily lives.  If Xanax is your medication of choice, then you can certainly taper form it, its just a little more challenging.

1 minute ago, [[H...] said:

No, if you decided to taper only from Clonazepam instead of Xanax, I would suggest crossing fully over to the Clonazepam, taking a  few days or week to do it, staying at that dose for a few days, then beginning a taper. 

If you choose to taper from both medications, I’d suggest reducing the Xanax and after that was eliminated, starting on the Clonazepam. 

You didn’t answer me if your doctor was supplying both medications, you’ll need to make sure you have a steady supply of whichever one you decide to slowly taper. 

On 11/09/2023 at 23:53, [[P...] said:

Most members who are using Xanax to taper will dose up to 4 times a day to keep their blood serum levels as constant as possible to avoid interdose withdrawal.  This is when the drug leaves our system and we begin to have symptoms before our next dose.  Clonazepam has a longer half life so members can typically get away with dosing about twice a day.  This makes tapering less intrusive on our daily lives.  If Xanax is your medication of choice, then you can certainly taper form it, its just a little more challenging.

No, if you decided to taper only from Clonazepam instead of Xanax, I would suggest crossing fully over to the Clonazepam, taking a  few days or week to do it, staying at that dose for a few days, then beginning a taper. 

If you choose to taper from both medications, I’d suggest reducing the Xanax and after that was eliminated, starting on the Clonazepam. 

You didn’t answer me if your doctor was supplying both medications, you’ll need to make sure you have a steady supply of whichever one you decide to slowly taper. 

Regarding steady supply I will check with my doctor and let you know asap

Then will decide from which medicine should I start tapering 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, [[H...] said:

Regarding steady supply I will check with my doctor and let you know asap

Then will decide from which medicine should I start tapering 

I checked with my doc and both medicines will be available with steady supply 

Please help me choose which one is easy with least withdrawal symptoms

Feeling so good like someone is there to hear and help! 

Thank You

Dear Brother 

21 hours ago, [[H...] said:

I checked with my doc and both medicines will be available with steady supply 

Please help me choose which one is easy with least withdrawal symptoms

Feeling so good like someone is there to hear and help! 

Thank You

Dear Brother 

My suggestion would be to use the Clonazepam to taper from, its half life is longer making it the better choice.  However, if you feel better on the Xanax and don’t want to start Clonazepam again then thats something to consider.  I can only give you my opinion, let us know which is better for you and your situation.

I’m happy to hear your doctor will support a slow taper.

When you decide which medication you’d like to taper from, we’ll help you figure out how to make the transition.  

• 1 month later...
On 14/09/2023 at 20:44, [[P...] said:

My suggestion would be to use the Clonazepam to taper from, its half life is longer making it the better choice.  However, if you feel better on the Xanax and don’t want to start Clonazepam again then thats something to consider.  I can only give you my opinion, let us know which is better for you and your situation.

I’m happy to hear your doctor will support a slow taper.

When you decide which medication you’d like to taper from, we’ll help you figure out how to make the transition.  

Hi Dear,

How Are You

Finally I have decided to Start my Tapper schedule , and I think , I should start Taper With Xanax 

Please guide me

My current dose is 3mg at night time

Wonderful to hear you’re ready to do this, how are you feeling, are you stable, able to perform your basic daily tasks?  

How do you feel during the day, are you dealing with any withdrawal symptoms during the day while you’re waiting for your next dose?

16 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Wonderful to hear you’re ready to do this, how are you feeling, are you stable, able to perform your basic daily tasks?  

How do you feel during the day, are you dealing with any withdrawal symptoms during the day while you’re waiting for your next dose?

Well I had typhoid fever 13 days ago, now the fever has gone but still feeling some pain in several parts of body and some bodily weakness is there, 

Not going for work since 2 weeks

So I thought staying at home will help me in the withdrawal process

1 mg @ around 9pm

2 mg @ around 2 am 

Sometimes I sleep around 2 am

Sometimes I sleep around 6-7 am

And waking up @ around 3 pm afternoon

Everything is messed up

What u suggest should I start Taper

Or first recover full from Typhoid after effects

Thanks for help 

Brother 

Just now, [[H...] said:

Well I had typhoid fever 13 days ago, now the fever has gone but still feeling some pain in several parts of body and some bodily weakness is there, 

Not going for work since 2 weeks

So I thought staying at home will help me in the withdrawal process

1 mg @ around 9pm

2 mg @ around 2 am 

Sometimes I sleep around 2 am

Sometimes I sleep around 6-7 am

And waking up @ around 3 pm afternoon

Everything is messed up

What u suggest should I start Taper

Or first recover full from Typhoid after effects

Thanks for help 

Brother 

Withdrawal symptoms starts to occur around 9 pm

Hi @[Ho...], thanks for explaining your dosing schedule, when you said you took the Xanax at night, I assumed it was one dose, its important I know you split it up.

You don’t necessarily need to wait until you recover from the fever if you feel able to start now. The symptoms you may experience from your taper could mimic the fever so you might not be able to tell if you’ve recovered from it, but it’s totally up to you when to start.

It looks like your Xanax use is mainly for sleep, is this why you were prescribed it?  

What is your pill size, how many milligrams? 

Hi @[Ho...], thanks for explaining your dosing schedule, when you said you took the Xanax at night, I assumed it was one dose, its important I know you split it up.

You don’t necessarily need to wait until you recover from the fever if you feel able to start now. The symptoms you may experience from your taper could mimic the fever so you might not be able to tell if you’ve recovered from it, but it’s totally up to you when to start.

It looks like your Xanax use is mainly for sleep, is this why you were prescribed it?  

What is your pill size, how many milligrams? 

Yes brother it's mainly for sleep

0.5 mg pills, small round pill

I think I should start the tapper

Edited by [Ho...]

Typically those on a high dose can get away with larger reductions at first, but they need to slow down when they get to the smaller doses.  Would you like to try a larger reduction this time, or would you feel better testing a smaller one for your first cut?

You’ll also need to decide which dose you’d like to reduce or you can spread the reduction out between them all.  There are a few ways to reduce your dose with pill splitting being the most convenient, would you feel comfortable cutting your pill into quarters?  You can typically count on there being an even amount of medicine in the halves but it isn’t guaranteed when you cut them anymore.  However, many members have successfully tapered by cutting their tablets. 

On 16/10/2023 at 21:41, [[P...] said:

Typically those on a high dose can get away with larger reductions at first, but they need to slow down when they get to the smaller doses.  Would you like to try a larger reduction this time, or would you feel better testing a smaller one for your first cut?

You’ll also need to decide which dose you’d like to reduce or you can spread the reduction out between them all.  There are a few ways to reduce your dose with pill splitting being the most convenient, would you feel comfortable cutting your pill into quarters?  You can typically count on there being an even amount of medicine in the halves but it isn’t guaranteed when you cut them anymore.  However, many members have successfully tapered by cutting their tablets. 

I will gor for a larger reduction brother 

If you reduced your dose by .5 mg, this would be a 16.7% decrease, that seems awfully big, why not cut one of your .5 mg pills in half and reduce by .25 for your first reduction, 8.3%, just to see how you’re going to react?