Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Ativan

[Ti...]

This will be my 4th time tapering. I don't sleep so I keep getting reinstated. So I'm not sleeping even with my 2mg dose. No sleep at all. Do I really have to do a slow taper? If I'm not sleeping at 2mg I know I won't sleep off either but at least I'll be off. The insomnia is so severe I'm up for a week or more. 

Insomnia has always been the only wd I have. It's also a problem I had before benzos and I think it's still a problem. It causes major anxiety and I can't function. I had to call out sick from work and will lose my job.

Hi @[Ti...], I’m sorry you’re not sleeping. That is one of the worst symptoms of benzo injury. Since you’re already experiencing a symptom of withdrawal and/or benzo injury, a slow taper is definitely advised. The Benzodiazepine Information Coalition (BIC) recommends no more than a 5 to 10% drop every month. But if insomnia is you’re only symptom and was preexisting, then you may consider trying a faster taper. You’ll know if you can do it based on how you feel. If you’re able, I wouldn’t cut more than 10% that first time if it were me until you know you can tolerate it. 

I did start slow, but I can't sleep even at my normal dose. I was sleeping ok for like 7 months with it but that was it. Now I can't function at all.

I think if insomnia is your main and only symptom and the reason you were put on it, it may be advisable to get off faster.  As you said, the insomnia is going to be bad until the drug is out of your body.  I’m in the same boat and it’s been my only symptom and the reason I was put on it. It may be an unpopular opinion for a lot of people here, but I don’t think you’re doing yourself any favors with a super slow taper.  Most patients can be off these drugs in 4-7 months which is what I’m aiming for.  I rarely hold more than a week before cutting.  
    That said, I wouldn’t cold Turkey it and would listen to my body.  If you are having other symptoms, you may need to go slower and or get medical advice depending on what’s happening, I don’t know your whole situation.  Just don’t draw it out over years.  You will heal and sleep again when this drug is out of your body.