Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

General question

[Ti...]

Why do some say they get sooo tired tapering or when in wd if GABA receptors are not working properly? I have the opposite problem and feel like I have no peace or calmness ever. Exhausted but can never sleep so I stay wired and sick. How do others get so tired and sleep a lot?

• Like 1

Everyone's symptoms are different.    Anxiety and insomnia are two very common symptoms so it is not surprising that you do not feel calm or having trouble sleeping.   There are others who have tremendous fatigue.   

So sorry you are experiencing intense insomnia.   It will eventually get better.    

If it is possible, would you mind giving us your benzo history in the "About Me" section.  This is so helpful for members who are responding to your posts.

• Like 1

@[Ti...]This is a great question. I am currently tapering on Val. and am tired 24/7. I can easily take a nap for and hour and a half every day. I sleep all night but the sleep is not good, it is filled with night terrors and tossing and turning. I think because of my poor nightly sleep, that that is why I am constantly tired. Regardless of being able to sleep, I still feel restless and anxious throughout the day. The symptoms that we all feel are crazy and endless to say the least. 

• Like 1

@[Ti...] I get both. I'm frequently fatigued during the day but also have insomnia at night. I don't have anxiety but I'm wide awake and then my brain just starts thinking about things I want to do when I get up. Then there are some nights when I sleep quite soundly. It's all over the map. Everyone is different. (I think that's one of our slogans!)

I can't get sleep at all, day or night. None at all. It makes anxiety worse and I can't function. But I have major sleep anxiety, which is why i was on ativan. Therapy didn't help, nothing has. Wish I could sleep for at least 1 hour.

Thanks for giving us your history.    Here are my thoughts.  

It appears you have gone off and on benzodiazepines multiple times.  This can cause something called kindling, meaning each time you go back, it might be harder to withdraw.     

Also, you said you are taking Sonata.   That is what is referred to as a Z drug.    It basically effects your brain in the same way as a benzodiazepine.    The sonata could be having a paradoxical effect, and causing you to have insomnia. 

And lastly, you mentioned you are taking some supplements.   Supplements are also known to possibly have a detrimental effect during withdrawal and recovery from benzos.  

Can you tell me about your current taper?   Please give specifics as to how often you are tapering and the reduction amount.   You will need to taper very, very slowly.  We recommend not more than 5%-10% every two weeks.     But, more importantly, listen to your body;  if you are having lots of symptoms try to hold until those symptoms are fewer and less intense.

You will eventually need to taper the Sonata as well, but I would not recommend doing that until you have tapered the Ativan.   

It is hard to tell exactly what is causing your insomnia.  It could be one of the following or a combination.   1.  paradoxical effect from the Sonata.   2.  tapering Ativan.  3.  return of pre-existing insomnia.  

I would stop taking any supplements for the time being.

Also, there are members here who do not tolerate edibles.   And it is just one more thing your brain has to "process"

Your brain needs time to reset and heal without having to accommodate any other substances.   I think it would be helpful not to take anything except for the Ativan and the Sonata for now.

Your body will heal and you will sleep again.   Our bodies are very good at knowing how to heal.   In the meantime, you will need to be patient and keep reaching out for support.