Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Nerve sensitivity is unbearable

[sc...]

Hi all,

Currently a little over 1 month into CT of high dose Xanax (quit Zoloft as well) and the nerve sensitive is driving me insane. Is there any hope of this getting better soon? I’ve read it can up to 2 years. Feels like someone is touching my nerves and just sitting is unbearable. Is there anything I can do - from the sounds of it I just have to let time pass right? I’m freaking out, it’s like having a toothache over your entire body. Scared I will lose it mentally and have to seek treatment which won’t solve the physical symptoms. I really messed up guys. 

Appt w NP in 2 days but I’m worried she’ll be unable to help. 

Thanks everyone 

Just read abt two people over a year in and they’re either the same or worse. 

Why did I CT?? I knew better. Even people who don’t take benzo known it’s bad - I just don’t understand why I did it. 

I’m scared guys. I’m not a strong person. Even strong people have severe trouble and I’m very weak. I was already homebound. I miss feeling ok mentally & physically. 

It can take a while before it fully recovers but usually the intensity will get better. What I've seen is, the more we stress the worse it gets. Stress and anxiety make our symptoms worse. If you can find a way to distract from your symptoms you'll feel so much better because you won't be constantly analysing your symptoms and fearing the worst. 

You are strong. You've done a CT and you've managed to get through it for a month! If that's not strong, I don't know what is. 

@[sc...] I’m so sorry you’re experiencing the nerve sensitivity. I experience the same thing.

I fast tapered an AD, and 8 months later had some issues and my crazy doctor gave me Xanax! I didn’t even know what Xanax was!  After 3 months on it, I started getting interdose withdrawal symptoms. I finally researched the Xanax and realized what it was doing to me. 

I did a CT detox after trying to taper the Xanax for 4 months. My nerves were on fire! I could barely taper and ended up at a detox place that promised they could help. Biggest mistake ever! So I completely understand what you are experiencing.

Nerve pain is by far the worst symptom to me. It is so bizarre! Nobody can understand the nerve pain unless they’ve been through it. After detox it felt like someone had doused me in gasoline and lit a match; like hot lava on my body. Absolute inconceivable pain and sensitivity. 

The Ashton manual mentions the nerve sensitivity and the effects on the sensory nerves. When I took a shower it felt like needles hitting my legs.  I am 21 months off and still symptomatic, but it’s not as intense as it was at the beginning. I’ve never had a window. 🥲

I’ve spent thousands on docs, mri, Neurologist, nerve conduction tests, labs and more. All tests normal.

I spoken to Baylissa a few times and joined her online support group; she advises that the anecdotal evidence shows that we all heal; she’s helped over 13,000 people. Also symptom severity is not an indicator of longevity. You might want to schedule a coaching session with Baylissa. She’s just wonderful and so encouraging. 

I’m so sorry for your discomfort and fear. I wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Keep coming here for for encouragement and tell yourself that you are healing everyday even when it doesn’t feel like it.

Try to read the success stories on here. Some people are lucky and heal quickly whereas for others it can take longer. You will get through this! Just hold on and know that you will heal. 💕🙏