Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I’m tapering off of being on 3 g for 23 years.

[Wi...]

I’m scared to death because I am tapering off and my psychiatrist said that he has had people that have been on more than 3 g and that I’ve been on it longer. I have been on it for 23 years 3 g I’ve never taken more than I was prescribed. In fact, I was put on it before I even had a sip of alcohol at the age of 22.  They want to taper me within three months.  They said to keep going down every two weeks .25. They said to take Seroquel as needed..  so far, I am down to only 2 g  the problem is I can’t sleep at night much.  Does anyone have any encouragement? I am a Christian.  I’ve never done any drugs in my life that were illegal.  I just want to make it through this and not lose my job and precious kids.  I really need some encouragement and also really don’t know how to use this form but I’m trying.

Hello Winning - welcome to BenzoBuddies!  I'm so sorry your psychiatrist is rushing you through your taper.  You are right to question this.  In our view tapering off within three months is way too fast and is a set up for you to experience the difficult withdrawal symptoms.  We find that slow cautious taper is the best way to keep withdrawal symptoms like insomnia to a minimum so you can function as well as possible through your taper.  We typically suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 2 weeks as a general guideline.  We find the best approach is to allow your taper to be guided by your symptoms.  

Which benzodiazepine are you taking?  Do you think you could have a discussion with your psychiatrist about this and make your case that you want to taper more slowly?

Unfortunately, many members here have experienced similar situations to yours - they were given guidance from health care practitioners who were not well informed about the way benzodiazepines need to be tapered.  Please know that you will be okay.  It can be a challenging process but our bodies know how to heal and recover.  

We can help you put together a plan for a more sensible taper and you will find support here to help you get through it.  

Greetings, @[Wi...] Welcome to BenzoBuddies.  I’m so sorry you are in this all-too-common situation.  In addition to telling us what benzodiazepine you are taking, would you also please clarify the amount you are taking?  It is typically expressed in milligrams of drug.  For example, 3 milligrams (or 3mg) of clonazepam (Klonopin). 

I started tapering with my dr  about 1 mt ago .  The taper is so slow but im having the worst symptons on such a slow taper. i's over 18 mts  but every little cut has been horriable , tremors , insomia, anxiety.  My husband passed away a couple months ago so all has been so very hard.

Hi @[Wi...]  Thank you for clarifying the dosage.  What is the name of the benzodiazepine you're tapering?  

As I mentioned above, the taper rate your doctor is suggesting is way too fast in our view.  Experience has shown us that tapering too rapidly almost invariably leads to difficult withdrawal symptoms.  A slow, cautious taper can help avoid this.  

We can help you plan a careful taper if you would like.  We can also help you strategize about finding a way to work collaboratively with your doctor.  Please let us know how you're doing.

• 2 months later...

Hello I am now down to 1.5 mg a day. I’m constantly anxious all the time I did go to my primary doctor to switch to him because my psychiatrist was trying to get me to go down to fast. My primary doctor is going to keep me on 1.5 until January, I’m just always sad and feel hopeless.  I feel like I’m going to lose my job because I’m crying all the time. 

Hi Winning.  I'm sorry you are suffering.   As @[Pa...] stated above you are tapering very fast.  You went from 3 mg to 1.5 mg in about two months.  That is a 50% reduction.   This may be why your symptoms are so bad right now.  The general advice is to try for 5-10% every two to four weeks.     I'm glad you are staying put at 1.5 mg until January.   I would suggest your next reduction, only if your symptoms have calmed down, is to go down to 1.4 mg, which is a 6.7% drop, and see how you do.   

God bless you in this battle and take it one day at a time.

On 06/11/2023 at 15:42, [[W...] said:

Hello I am now down to 1.5 mg a day. I’m constantly anxious all the time I did go to my primary doctor to switch to him because my psychiatrist was trying to get me to go down to fast. My primary doctor is going to keep me on 1.5 until January, I’m just always sad and feel hopeless.  I feel like I’m going to lose my job because I’m crying all the time. 

It sounds like it’s good you’re trying someone new. It is a massive jump you made. Give yourself time to level out. We all so desperately want to get off, but it’s a marathon not a sprint. While you most likely won’t feel “better” you may start to notice things feels more tolerable (but this can also take quite awhile). Try and keep lots of notes, it gives you something to focus on and helps you to remember any changes, it’s also just an outlet. My best advice to everyone tapering also is to put lots of focus on clean sources and glucose and mineral salts (fruits and veggies). Your brain is freaking out, and this is what it needs to heal, re-circuit and cool off. I kept an organic wild blueberry juice on hand at all times during my taper and would take a swig everytime I passed the fridge.