Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Psychiatrist Retiring / Just Began my Titration from 6 mg. of daily Clonazepam

[Ge...]

Hi @[Fa...],

Thanks. I just got back from the gym and I can tell that I do not need 2 mgs. right now. So, I will take my cut dose this afternoon. Dosage times may be a bit challenging for me. I try to keep them around the same time. But, it does vary somewhat.

I definitely will not go backwards on the 0.5 mg. cut, though.

11 hours ago, [[G...] said:

When I talk to other people that know nothing about benzos and explain what I am attempting, they do not quite understand the seriousness of the problem 

Even my older brother,  with whom I am very close,  told me I was "self diagnosed " when I told him I was in withdrawal, etc. 

Sadly enough,  there is no Dx for withdrawal. 

12 hours ago, [[F...] said:

@[Ge...] Sounds good.  My suggestion would just be to try your best to keep your dosing consistent.  I think it will work best for you in the long run this way.

@[Fa...] Thanks.

As Pamster mentioned earlier in this thread, dosage reduction and holding periods should be 'symptom based'. That made a lot of sense to me. I know to never go backwards on a reduction. But, just hold longer, if symptoms become difficult. Then, lower the % reduction in the next stage.

I am going to try to stay in the 8% to 10% reduction range every two weeks until I get to a reasonable dosage. However, this is going to get more difficult as my current dosages get lower and lower. Splitting 1 mg. pills into 1/8 mg. seems like it will be inaccurate (have not tried it yet, though).

I am going to do some research on liquid titration to see if that is an option.

13 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Even my older brother,  with whom I am very close,  told me I was "self diagnosed " when I told him I was in withdrawal, etc. 

Sadly enough,  there is no Dx for withdrawal. 

@[Su...],

Yes, I recently told my 25 year old daughter about how my titration from Clonazepam is going to take over a year to complete. She did not understand and stated that I quit smoking, alcohol and marijuana 'cold turkey' and why don't I do the same for the benzo.

Benzos are a different beast and that is dangerous and not recommended.

Heck, I did not find out about this until two years ago. Thank you 'You Tube'...

I am trying to keep negativity out of this community. But, perhaps someone that does not understand what their loved one is going through will read this and give them the much needed support.

• Like 1

Sounds good, @[Ge...].  I assume you will be able to get your dose down cutting by .5mg and holding for a bit each stage.  Once you get down to a lower dosage, you can certainly adjust your taper and members will help you with that process. 

Hello All,

To anyone that has followed this thread: I found my missing pills. I lifted up my keyboard while looking for something else and in a little ziplock bag there they were. Thanks to all that have given me advice about how to deal with that situation!

Benzo Brain is real...

Hey @[Ge...], thats terrific news, won’t it be great when you no longer have to worry about stuff like this?   I think about that sometimes, about the chains these drugs wrap around us, its ridiculous that a tiny pill has that kind of power.  Okay, rant over. :-[

Hi @[Pa...],

Thank you. Oh yes, it will be great when that time comes. I just got a tattoo in light gray and told my artist my artist that I'll see him in about a year and a half (after my titration is over) and at that time I will get it filled in with a darker black and gray color.

Rant? Okay, I will. While researching benzos, I found out that the first benzo was marketed to the public in 1960. In 2020, the FDA updated their Black Box Warning to add facts about the dangers of addiction, physical dependence and withdrawal symptoms. 60 years??? Did Big Pharma have something to do with having the FDA keep this on the 'down low' for that long?

Please fact check me. I couldn't believe it when I was reading this.

Edited by [Ge...]
added word

I was born in the 60s. The family medical system then was an occasional Dr visit if you had a fever. There certainly wasn't a pill for everything. 

Come to find out all these years later, there NEVER  was a pill for everything.  

Unfortunately,  for nothing less than pure greed, I feel as though we have all been made experiments by the medical "industry. " How else is it that a drug like klonopin is known dangerous by people like Ashton since the 80's yet today,  none of the 7 different Drs I have dealt with have a clue about any of it.

That being said,  this information gives us all the opportunity to make better choices moving forward. 

I could go on....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, [[F...] said:

Great news, @[Ge...]!  It also sounds as if your first few days since cutting down to 5.5mg have been uneventful as well.  Keep it up!

Thanks @[Fa...], As you mentioned earlier, the taper should be symptom based. Yes, I have had some symptoms pop-up from the cut. But, they are nothing that I cannot get through, I am still functional.

Yes, I will Keep It Up. There is a no U-turn sign on this road.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

I was born in the 60s. The family medical system then was an occasional Dr visit if you had a fever. There certainly wasn't a pill for everything. 

Unfortunately,  for nothing less than pure greed, I feel as though we have all been made experiments by the medical "industry. " How else is it that a drug like klonopin is known dangerous by people like Ashton since the 80's yet today,  none of the 7 different Drs I have dealt with have a clue about any of it.

That being said,  this information gives us all the opportunity to make better choices moving forward. 

I could go on....

Hi @[Su...], I can well understand your frustration, as I get it too.  What I've learned about my becoming hooked on a benzo, is I can't do a thing about the Medical Industry except to share with anyone who will listen, what's happened to me.  I also won't take full responsibility for accepting the "treatment", but I have to own what is my part to own, and leave the Medical folks to their own conscience. Just notice conscience has the word Science in it :idiot::heybabe: I don't know, just struck me funny when I saw it ;)

I was so busy going, doing, and not to mention, supposedly having fun, and enjoying life I chose to take the pill. I'd developed an anxiety-induced tremor, severe migraines,and I thought the C would save me, and it did for a time. 

My picker was totally broken though as I made a lot of wrong choices, deciding to take that pill rather than to really do some homework on that and other bad decisions I was making, and how to change things.  Basically, just wasn't paying attention, wanted everything "yesterday".  I was like the proverbial Bull in the China Shop. 

I'm very fortunate, maybe blessed although I know for sure I've done nothing at all to deserve it.  My whole life has been about me. 

So now, I am willing to do my homework, sometimes it's hard to see how many years it's taken me to see, but as I said when I got here, even a few years with more quality of life is better than zero.  I try every day, to get better, which includes my teenie tapers, and just putting one foot in front of the other.  You and I, and many others are getting rid of the benzos in our life, we can look forward to more quality of life.  Lots of people are still choosing the pill, but we can share out stories to help them:smitten::hug:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I could go on....

@[Su...],

I agree with you. Big Pharma is a powerful machine that has more influence in high places than I think we know about.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone that responded to my issue know, that two days ago, I found an Addiction Recovery doctor (well known on You Tube). I was supposed to see his PA. However, he happened to stop by the office on his day off. As I was waiting for the PA, he took me into his office and explained his Benzo philosophy (long slow tapers and patient control) on getting off of benzos and accepted me as a new patient. I was overjoyed!

The following day I went to see a psychiatrist at a major University. He also has the same philosophy and accepted me as a patient if it does not work out with the doctor mentioned above. Overjoyed again...

I cannot explain the anxiety (while titrating) that has been lifted off of my shoulders. Now, I am looking forward to the day that I am Benzo Free and not freaking out about finding a Benzo friendly psychiatrist. Also, I was able to cancel my appointment with a third psychiatrist in October. More stress relief...

I wish to thank everyone that responded on my thread that tried to help me with their genuine advice!!!

Benzo Buddies is such a fantastic place with such kind and helpful people.

Best regards, George

P.S. I do have a third option if all else fails. It is a Telehealth doctor that has accepted me. He also believes in long slow tapers. However, he does not take insurance and charges $275 per month, out-of-pocket.

• Like 1

Wow @[Ge...], you hit the jackpot!!  Thank you for letting us know, I’m happy for you, I can see that lifted a huge weight off your shoulders.

I hope you’ll keep us posted on your progress, but its wonderful you don’t have to figure this out on your own. 

@[Ge...],

I’ve been reading this thread and your last post made me smile! It’s wonderful you’ve found not one, but two health professionals who understand the necessity and value of a slow taper off benzos. We look forward to encouraging you on your journey to benzo freedom.

pianogirl :smitten:

14 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Wow @[Ge...], you hit the jackpot!!  Thank you for letting us know, I’m happy for you, I can see that lifted a huge weight off your shoulders.

I hope you’ll keep us posted on your progress, but its wonderful you don’t have to figure this out on your own. 

@[Pa...],

Thank you so much!!! You were the first person that responded to my post and welcomed into this great community. Also, you gave me great advice about tapering off of large doses. I really appreciate it.

I will keep you posted on my progress. Right now, I'm six days into my 'second' 0.5 mg. cut. So, I am only taking 5 mg. daily. That is huge... My original plan of filing down pills 5% every two weeks would taken me so much longer to get to 5 mg.

Best regards, George

• Like 2

4 hours ago, [[p...] said:

@[Ge...],

I’ve been reading this thread and your last post made me smile! It’s wonderful you’ve found not one, but two health professionals who understand the necessity and value of a slow taper off benzos. We look forward to encouraging you on your journey to benzo freedom.

pianogirl :smitten:

@[pi...],

You are a perfect example of what wonderful folks are in this Forum. I appreciate your kind words and encouragement!

I am truly thankful for your response. THAT MADE ME SMILE...:classic_smile:

Best regards, George

• Like 1

@[Ge...]  Hey there!  I have been following your "story".  So happy that you have found the appropriate help.    It is so nice to be able to look forward to the day you are Benzo Free rather than dreading the process.   It sounds like you are in very good hands.   Please keep us posted.  

On 16/09/2023 at 10:28, [[d...] said:

@[Ge...]  Hey there!  I have been following your "story".  So happy that you have found the appropriate help.    It is so nice to be able to look forward to the day you are Benzo Free rather than dreading the process.   It sounds like you are in very good hands.   Please keep us posted.  

@[de...],

Thank you so much! Yes, the fact that I no longer am searching for a doctor makes me feel like I am ready for another 'cut'.

I appreciate your positive feedback. It means so much to me...

I will keep you posted.

Best regards, George

• 3 months later...

Hello BB Community,

I joined BB in August 2023 and just wanted to keep everyone that helped me posted on my progress.

I have made three 0.5 mg. cuts and four 0.25 mg. cuts from my original 6 mg./per day Clonazepam dosage. Today's 0.25 mg. cut brought me down to 3.5 mg./per day.

I am very fortunate that the Doctor and PA that I am working with believe in slow tapers and longer holding periods, if symptoms are not tolerable.

The first few cuts were fairly easy for me. However, each cut now comes with increased anxiety.

Thank you to everyone that helped me get through the beginning of my journey!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Hello BB Community,

I joined BB in August 2023 and just wanted to keep everyone that helped me posted on my progress.

I have made three 0.5 mg. cuts and four 0.25 mg. cuts from my original 6 mg./per day Clonazepam dosage. Today's 0.25 mg. cut brought me down to 3.5 mg./per day.

I am very fortunate that the Doctor and PA that I am working with believe in slow tapers and longer holding periods, if symptoms are not tolerable.

The first few cuts were fairly easy for me. However, each cut now comes with increased anxiety.

Thank you to everyone that helped me get through the beginning of my journey!

I'm so glad to see you @George! It's so good to know you found a doc and a PA that know about tapering!  I got very lucky as well with a new NP at my clinic that brought up the Ashton Manual to me. I was so thrilled, as I hadn't mentioned it to him. 

Anyway, I read back a ways and I am betting your gym workouts are helping a lot.  I can't go without doing good nutrition, and right now, after last 3 years at the local gym, I am working out at home with stretch-bands.

Again, so good to see you and your progress report!! oregonlady :smitten::thumbsup: