Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Holding and Benzo Belly

[mi...]

My benzo belly will not stop. It’s one of the worst symptoms I’ve had in quite some time. It came on suddenly five weeks ago after some brand changes. It flared up more after a small cut last week but seems to fluctuate daily. It’s worse when other symptoms are worse. Has anyone ever had benzo belly settle down with a hold. My belly is a painful watermelon and I can hardly eat. Last night it was literally 9 months pregnant. Flat as a pancake before this happened. This is insane. Night and day from five weeks ago.

@[mi...]  I want to comment, but I have SIBO, so what I am experiencing /have experienced may be slightly different.  But, have you tried changing your diet?  If this is ‘just’ benzo belly, have you implemented easily digestible foods to see if it makes a difference yet?  And, certain foods can exacerbate things.  Onions/garlic are two of them.

Holding wasn’t the solution for mine.  Diet change was.  It does flare up after a cut, as well as incessant burping and stomach burning.  But, I don’t get distended like I did…and, it is not a daily thing any longer.

Do you get really fatigued/tired after eating?

Warmly,

F

@[Fa...] diet has never affected me like this. I went from eating a solid mostly keto diet of chicken, beef, eggs, etc to not being able to eat much literally overnight. I have normal bowel movements that haven’t changed but it was as I’d the nerves in my abdomen suddenly went spastic on me and all went into a spasm. It moves around but I somehow turned on the nervous system in my gut and it won’t turn off. I feel everything and have heightened sensitivity. I went two wonderful years of eating most foods without issue and having minimal stomach issues. 

@[mi...]  Similar thing happened to me…within a week, I was unable to eat what I was once able to.  I didn’t get tested for SIBO until that happened.  Not that you have SIBO, but, I do think things can happen very quickly…and, I do think that things can instigate it.

Similarly with other symptoms.  A new one shows up overnight.  And, I do think with our gut, we can drive ourselves crazy with trying to figure things out.  And, I ended up getting tested for SIBO for this reason.  If you have not tried to eat easily digestible foods, I would venture to try to see what happens…if you can get some relief.  

This doesn’t answer your questions, and I’m sorry.  I’m sorry you are suffering so.  I wish there were an easy answer.  And, I do hope that this calms down for you.  I truly do.

Warmly,

F

I got tested for SIBO two years ago, they put me on Flagyl, I had a neurotoxic reaction which landed me on benzos. Ironic thing is the text came back negative for SIBO. What made me well digestively was ironically being on Klonopin. Within weeks I could eat anything I wanted for the first time in years. Now I’m getting lower on the benzos and while I wasn’t really having major problems with my gut, in fact I had a milkshake with no issue a week before this happened and ate chicken wings with my family a day before this reaction. No warning. It just hit. Wondering if I had a mast cell reaction. Heart rate went up and breathing has been short ever since. I refuse to take any herbs or antibiotics with my sensitivities.