Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

7 months clean. Can I take antibiotics?

[3b...]

Recently I have had a series of skin infections and have had to take an antibiotic of the penicillin group, this is called Cloxacillin.

Can I have any problems?

Hello @[Ar...] Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

It is specifically quinolone antibiotics which can cause some problems for those using benzodiazepines or going through benzodiazepine withdrawal. But there might be times where quinolone use is unavoidable (successfully treating a dangerous infection trumps withdrawal symptoms). But Cloxacillin is a penicillin derivative. I am not aware of any particular problems associated with its concurrent use with benzodiazepines or during benzo withdrawal.

Some members have or have had issues with other (basically any kind) antibiotics as well.  I had an antibiotic set back 7 months off from doxycycline.  I needed to take it, but there were consequences. 

I won't be taking an antibiotic again unless it's needed to save my life or avoid definite future worse consequences.  Drs are quick to prescribe them on a hunch - weird rash?  Antibiotic.  Swollen ingrown hair? Oral Antibiotic.  Sinus pain?  Antibiotic.  In the future, I'll be weighing whether it's neededfor me to get better before risking setting off my nervous system quite significantly.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Drs are quick to prescribe them on a hunch - weird rash?  Antibiotic.  Swollen ingrown hair? Oral Antibiotic.  Sinus pain?  Antibiotic.

That was true in the past. But I think far less true these days.

4 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

That was true in the past. But I think far less true these days.

True, antibiotic stewardship is becoming more common, thankfully.  I just think it's good to be careful and make sure one is having the conversation that it's needed and necessary and not just the Dr trying to get the patient out of the office and feel like they're helping.