Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Advice on Ativan Taper

[g2...]

Hi All, new to the forum. Hello, hello! I have moderate - severe GAD and health anxiety. I've been on Ativan for 8 months now since Jan 2023. I started at 2mg per day and got myself down to 1mg per day. The drops to 1.5 and 1 were not that bad. I had a few rough days but then things normalized. I've tried twice to drop from 1mg to 0.5mg per day and both attempts failed. My anxiety went through the roof and I felt barely able to function. My resting heart rate soared to 100-120 bpm and I could not get it down. I was also afraid of needing to be hospitalized. At that point, my doc told me to go back up to the 1mg. 

Since then, my pdoc increased my Cymbalta from 40 to 60mg per day. I'm talking with her again next week and hoping to discuss different strategies to get me down to 0.5mg and eventually off this stuff. I'd like to go into the appointment with some thought out strategies I can review with her. 

I would really appreciate any advice the community can offer. I've read about switching to a longer acting benzo or adding another medication to manage the withdrawal symptoms but not sure what is best. 

Thank you so much! 

Hello @[g2...],

Welcome to benzo buddies! I’m actually not surprised that you are feeling some strong withdrawal symptoms, your cuts were very large and the last was 50%. Believe me, I know from experience how that feels. For a long time I knew nothing about benzos or how to withdraw. I found this site after I jumped off.

You are in a good place to get solid information about tapering. It is suggested to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. Some people go even slower and follow and liquid reduction plan and/or a symptoms based plan.

If it were me I would hold for a while and stabilize, letting your body adjust to those large reductions. Do some reading and look for a plan that will be a little gentler on your system. 

We have many knowledgeable members who will share their collective experience with you. This is doable with a good taper plan!

pianogirl :smitten:

Thanks for that and I agree with giving time to stabilize. My pdoc has been pushing me down when I’m not ready, so I’m going to need to advocate for myself more. 

I’ve read a lot about crossing over to Valium or Klonopin. Does that work well for folks? 

@[g2...] I crossed from Ativan to Valium at 1.5 mgs of Ativan (15 mgs of valium). I  could not reduce the Ativan -- I got interdose w/ds which left me agitated and sick. Even taking it 4 x a day didn't help. Crossing to valium was the best decision I ever made. I followed the Ashton Manual's schedule for the crossover, and then for the all-valium taper. It worked pretty well but I could have helped myself by making smaller valium cuts in the low doses. So . . . something for you to talk about with your doc? If you are at 1 mg of Ativan, you would cross to 10 mgs of valium. I think Ashton lays out the crossover schedule, and tapering schedule, quite clearly. A longer-acting benzo usually makes for a smoother taper. Best wishes, dude.

Appreciate the advice! I'm going to ask her about crossing over to Valium. 

How did the Valium make you feel? Was it as effective for your anxiety?