Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Air hunger?!

[Br...]

Last night I was having anxiety in the middle of the night, which has been pretty common this last week. But instead of getting up which is an urge to ease the anxiety, I stayed in bed to try to sleep longer because I have ocd and I didn't want to give into the urge. It wasn't easy but I eventually started to fall asleep. But each time I was like about to go into the sleep realm (I don't remember ever have this much ability to perceive the transition between wakefulness and sleep, it is very weird, been progress recently) something was uneasy and I pulled myself out with a deep breath. This happened for hours. Now I'm freaking out that it was a new ocd compulsion and that I'll never sleep again because my brain won't let me fall asleep. Or was I just not getting enough air? I don't know what's more realistic. Have others experienced similar things?

• Like 1

Air hunger is a common withdrawal symptoms.  I'm sorry you're experiencing it and that's it's contributing to anxiety around OCD.  Like all withdrawal symptoms it is temporary and will ease up over time.  It can help to remind yourself of this.  I had air hunger among many other symptoms during withdrawal.  I found practicing relaxation techniques like yoga and slow deep breathing was helpful as well as taking warm baths with Epsom salts and scented oils.  I hope yours fades away soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Last night I was having anxiety in the middle of the night, which has been pretty common this last week. But instead of getting up which is an urge to ease the anxiety, I stayed in bed to try to sleep longer because I have ocd and I didn't want to give into the urge. It wasn't easy but I eventually started to fall asleep. But each time I was like about to go into the sleep realm (I don't remember ever have this much ability to perceive the transition between wakefulness and sleep, it is very weird, been progress recently) something was uneasy and I pulled myself out with a deep breath. This happened for hours. Now I'm freaking out that it was a new ocd compulsion and that I'll never sleep again because my brain won't let me fall asleep. Or was I just not getting enough air? I don't know what's more realistic. Have others experienced similar things?

Hi @[Br...], I've experienced something comparable. During both Benzo tapers and opioid tapers/cessation, I experience being in a deep sleep, and will wake up out of a deep sleep, with my heart RACING and GASPING for air. It's hard to explain. I've had this symptom intermittently until age 22; I'm 39 now. I started taking Niacin (vasodilator) which seems* to be helping.

I have had the air hunger it's terrifying and I sympathize with you. This might not be much comfort but just know this won't always happen. The more you dwell on it as your are drifting off the more it will occur. I had to do a lot of self talk and prayer many nights to get me through that. It's a WD sx and one nobody wants but try some relaxation techniques before going to bed. I like to drink warm milk or a warm bath before bed and try to unwind myself and my thoughts. I know this isn't always possible but this is a real fight we are in so give yourself as much self care and grace as you can. You will be ok.

• Like 1