Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Ambien withdrawal 21 months out

[Dr...]

Can anyone share their ambien withdrawal story with me. I’m 21 months out and going through a wave. I took ambien 5-10mg nightly for 9-10 months. I feel progress is happening but when a wave hits like this I feel like I’m stuck with this forever. Thank you. I was only taking ambien No true benzo. 

Hello @[Dr...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm very sorry to hear you're still experiencing symptoms, how long have you been Ambien free?  What symptoms are you still dealing with?  

I was able to quit Ambien cold turkey with only insomnia but I know others have had it pretty rough.  A close friend of mine suffered for about 11 months before he fully recovered, but he dealt with waves like you.  Towards the end he'd be good for about 3 weeks, then get slammed with symptoms for a few days but that finally ended and he's been good ever since.

I hope others will stop by with their experiences, we're glad you found us.

Pamster

Thank you. I’ve been ambien free since November 23, 2021.  I stopped cold turkey and had bad withdrawals for months. I had extreme fatigue, my body would wake up shaking like I was cold even though I wasn’t, I would wake up gasping for breath (almost felt like I couldnt breathe at times), weird eardrum spasms, insomnia,  and just overall feeling like shit.  Most of the symptoms have dissipated but I still get the occasional wave, and I still don’t sleep well.  I’m just concerned because I didn’t expect withdrawals to last so long from a sleeping pill.  When I have a wave some of the symptoms I had early in withdrawal return but not the same intensity.  

What a nightmare for you, I've read quite a few members who have had the same experience, even though z-drugs are officially listed as a non-benzodiazepine, they can cause the same havoc.  Your Ambien experience sounds a lot like my Klonopin experience, I'm so sorry you've suffered so long.

Have you found what triggers the waves, my friend and I were never able to spot anything so I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't either.  I'm gratified to hear the intensity is diminishing but I'm sure you're sick of this.  

No my waves are random. Nothing triggers them that I know of.  One of the users on this forum took ambien and has had “setbacks” many years later. That is scary to think a prescription drug can do that.  The wave that I’m in now is mostly head pressure /insomnia/fatigue, but it’s so weird that it just came out of the blue after months of seeing small improvements. I hope others chime in who have been exposed to this pharmaceutical poison. I’m curious to see if it ever ends. Like truly ends. 

This post to Dragonage is strictly to let them/you know that you definitely are not alone. And I'm really sorry that you are having to endure this trialsome recovery process as well! It is NO fun.

I'm still waiting for it to end. I feel like I'm on drugs daily...I can't remember what normal feels like. Sadly, for myself at least, I keep trying to find what will help to alleviate certain symptoms...most concerning are symptoms associated with the brain pulsating; band around my head like a vice is gripping it; and drugged feeling in my head. I try to look normal as I forge my way through each day. I feel for those whom I get an opportunity to voice my benzo(Ambien/Ativan) recovery to....it is just not an understood issue. Very isolating in going through this long, drawn out process!!

• Like 1

On 17/08/2023 at 14:02, [[P...] said:

Hello @[Dr...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm very sorry to hear you're still experiencing symptoms, how long have you been Ambien free?  What symptoms are you still dealing with?  

I was able to quit Ambien cold turkey with only insomnia but I know others have had it pretty rough.  A close friend of mine suffered for about 11 months before he fully recovered, but he dealt with waves like you.  Towards the end he'd be good for about 3 weeks, then get slammed with symptoms for a few days but that finally ended and he's been good ever since.

I hope others will stop by with their experiences, we're glad you found us.

Pamster

Hello. I'm one month behind you but I came off Benzos. It's crazy how we can feel better and then when a wave hits we loose all hope and feel it's permanent. When I'm in a wave I can't remember what a window feels like and visa versa. My waves are the same horrible intensity but like you I feel progress. That's a good sighn even if are waves are bad. Keep telling your brain I AM HEALING I AM HEALIMG, THIS IS HEALING!! One day this will all fade away and be a distant memory, I'm confident in that. 

• Like 1

On 17/08/2023 at 20:25, [[P...] said:

What a nightmare for you, I've read quite a few members who have had the same experience, even though z-drugs are officially listed as a non-benzodiazepine, they can cause the same havoc.  Your Ambien experience sounds a lot like my Klonopin experience, I'm so sorry you've suffered so long.

Have you found what triggers the waves, my friend and I were never able to spot anything so I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't either.  I'm gratified to hear the intensity is diminishing but I'm sure you're sick of this.  

How long can I expect this withdrawal to last realistically? Im seeing people still suffering for years after CT z drugs.  I so regret ever going to a doctor or taking this drug. 

I wish we could say @[Dr...], I've seen members suffer for a long time but its typically been Zopiclone which causes the most trouble.  I'm heartened to know you can see progress, well, at least until a wave rolls through, how often are they coming and do you experience windows?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I wish we could say @[Dr...], I've seen members suffer for a long time but its typically been Zopiclone which causes the most trouble.  I'm heartened to know you can see progress, well, at least until a wave rolls through, how often are they coming and do you experience windows?

Well this is my first bad wave in about 2-3 months. My windows I feel about 70-80 percent I think, but I forgot what 100 percent normal feels like since I’ve had daily symptoms since the beginning of 2021.  I was hoping by 2 years I’d be done with this ordeal, but then I got hit with this recent wave that feels like im almost back to square one, which is scary. I wish we could all ban together to sue the FDA for legalizing these drugs and having them be prescribed to us. I can never trust another pharmaceutical or doctor or nurse again, like ever.  I’m starting to think the whole medical system is just a big scam. Anyways I’m done renting but that’s how I feel about it having gone through this knowing I may come out of this never being the same person again. 

Dragonage your feelings are valid. Thank you for speaking your feelings that takes courage and.....it validates this journey and gives cause for not having to feel so isolated. 

• Like 1