Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How to find a benzo aware doctor? (

[sc...]

Hello all, 

I’m currently looking for a new psychiatrist as my current one is not allowing any tapering/discussion of changing meds. I’m 20 days out from quitting Xanax & Zoloft cold turkey (stupid) and I’m not sure how to locate a doctor. From the sounds it, many do not know about benzos. I’m cannot do it on my own because I only have access to the doses prescribed. With the current doctor, my options are to get back on the meds with no taper or continue not taking them (doctor will dismiss me). 

If it helps, I live in the suburbs of Dallas TX. I found a nurse practitioner listed on the benzoinfo.com website, and I’m currently in contact with her. I’m wary that she is not a doctor (no disrespect intended) and she does not have an official website - she said her practice is new and she has a ZocDoc page which doesn’t mention benzos.

Thanks a ton for your help,

Sarah 

If you cannot find a benzo-aware doctor, then just back in with your psychiatrist and get the benzos. 

You can taper yourself using the easy liquid titration method (1mg Xanax dissolved in 2ml vodka, then add 98ml of water). This makes 100ml, and you can slowly taper down. 100ml, 99ml, 98ml, etc etc.

I followed this exact plan to great success. I took Xanax for 4 weeks, and did a 8 week taper, and the jump was so smooth. 

How much are you taking? How often? 

Please do NOT quit cold turkey. 

Unfortunately I don’t think I could do that at this time, plus I’m a bit scared I would mess it up. Thank you so much, though. 

I have extended release Xanax so I can’t cut them up in any way. I already quit cold turkey so I messed up really bad. 

I was taking 2 mg xanax XR and 100 Zoloft. Destroyed my life by stopping 20+ days ago. Been on xanax at various doses for years & Zoloft for around 3 months I think.

Will never forgive myself 

Have you considered riding out your cold turkey?  I quit this way and while the first few weeks were pretty bad, I got to a point where I was functional and recovered in about the same time frame as those who taper.  

Are you functional?  Are you able to take care of your basic needs?

• Like 1

Hi @[Pa...]

I definitely would consider that as long as it’s safe - I’m having trouble deciding bc my doctor won’t allow me to discuss meds at all (basically said either take them as prescribed or I will be let go). 

I was hoping to get into a Dr/practitioner of some kind for guidance but it’s taking awhile (appt w NP on 8/31) 

What is the difference between riding out the cold turkey and reinstating/tapering? I’m a bit confused. Is either one more/less dangerous or riskier? I’ve gotten a 50/50 response about this so far. 

I had never heard of kindling until recently. Having trouble with that one as well. 

I’m kind of in between as far as being functional I think? I was already homebound before due to hyperacusis so it’s difficult to tell. Couldn’t (still can’t) work or drive, trouble w/ anything noisy due to severe sensitivity. 

Definitely feel awful - severe tinnitus/nerve like pain in ear & jaw/teeth is one of the worst symptoms right now. Entire face hurts sometimes. Also having frequent urination, stomach issues, nausea, neuropathy in limbs, blurry vision/floaters, and feeling out it. It feels like someone drugged me. 

I don’t know what to do at this point. Mom is upset and we barely speak so I’m trying to organize this on my own. I don’t blame her, I messed up bad. Dr is also upset. Understandable since I was/am noncompliant. 

So sorry for the rant, @[Pa...] Feeling like there is no way out and I’ll be sick for years (possibly forever) 

People told me I had brain damage and I was at risk of PAWS which freaked me out. They said it nicely and were just being honest but that scared me a lot. 

Thanks again, you’re an extremely kind and helpful person and I truly appreciate your time. 

Best,

Sarah

Just so I understand, you’re currently benzo free?  But, your doctor wants you back on and if you don’t take the benzodiazepine you’ll be dropped?  

I don’t want to get between you and your doctor because I don’t know the reason you were put on the drug but I feel you should be able to have a say in your medical care.

When you mention safe, what are your concerns?  Are you worried about seizures, if so, they’re rare unless you’re prone to them and I would imagine you’re well past the time when you might worry about that.

Tapering is rough, its no picnic and the platform is filled with people suffering as they taper.  You’re ahead of them, you’re off the drug and on the road to recovery.  I know it doesn’t feel like that but your body is working to repair the disruption the drug caused.  

You just like the rest of us have a brain injury, that’s different than brain damage, injuries can heal.  I don’t agree with being at risk for PAWS, we don’t know who will fall victim to that but its way too early for you or anyone to know this.  Typical recovery for those of us who are negatively affected by stopping benzodiazepines is between 1 and 2 years, if you go past that time, we consider you protracted.  But even these timelines are subjective, we see what happens here, then assign a timeline, it’s not scientific.  

Anyone making definitive statements about your situation is guessing, no one really knows what you’re going to face.  

I’m glad you’re seeking another opinion, your doctor sounds a bit rigid. 

Hi @[Pa...]

Yes, I am currently benzo (and SSRI) free. Correct - he wants me on 1 mg Xanax XR & 100 mg Zoloft or I am released as a patient. All attempts to discuss were denied. In his defense, I have been bad with my meds before and I think he is frustrated which is entirely my fault.

I was originally put on meds due to ocd, anxiety, and panic. 

My apologies, I was extremely vague in my “safety” comment! I am a bit worried about seizures, but I’m glad to hear I’m (hopefully) past that point. I guess it’s more that I’m worried about making things worse and want to choose the option with the best chance of recovery (& not add more symptoms or increase current ones) if that makes sense? 

I’m terrified that if I reinstate/taper I will make my current symptoms stronger or add new ones - or that I’ll lengthen withdrawal). I’m also worried that my new practitioner might not know the details of benzo tapering and I’ll be moving too fast (no disrespect to her, I just don’t know much about her background. The practice told me she has experience with this but I’m concerned). 

But then if I ride out the cold turkey, I worry that my symptoms could become unbearable and I will lose the opportunity to taper as time goes by (or that the taper will then be riskier/less likely to work due to how long I’ve been off meds). 

I tried to read up on cross tapering (is that what it’s called?) using Valium, but I’m extremely scared of introducing a new med. I also looked a bit at titration & liquid tapering but was overwhelmed. 

Thanks again,

Sarah

I don’t know your history with ocd, anxiety and panic, but benzo’s are not suggested for long term use, even the manufacturer only suggests using them 2-4 weeks.  There are other medications that are safer long term for these conditions, hopefully you can find an NP or another doctor who will be able to help you manage these conditions without benzodiazepines.  But be advised, these conditions are likely off the charts right now, benzo tolerance, withdrawal and recovery symptoms mimic these conditions on steroids so it will be difficult to find your baseline until you’re recovered.

Putting your conditions aside and looking at this from a cold turkey vs reinstating and tapering standpoint, it makes absolutely no sense to me to to do this.  You’re off the drug, acute withdrawal is now, this is as bad as it gets.  Your symptoms should begin to lessen, you’ll still suffer, just as those who do a long taper suffer but the difference is, they still have to face recovery once they complete their taper and recovery feels an awful lot like tapering.  You’re here, you’re benzo free and you’ve survived at least in my experience, the worst of it already.  

Thanks @[Pa...]. My mom is extremely upset I’m not reinstating and we fight about it almost every day. Part of me want to just give up and reinstate so it will stop, but I’ve let my guard down before and regretted it.  Not sure if/when the arguing will stop if I decide to ride our the cold turkey - either way I still have my other condition (hyperacusis/tinnitus - tinnitus is now 100x worse due to withdrawal) which causes arguments as well.

I understand it’s difficult to answer this, but do you think seeing an NP is ok? I tried getting into a psychiatrist but they are booked out. This practice said everyone there has experience w/ benzo withdrawal & tapering which seems like a red flag. My mom basically said it didn’t make sense to start all over and why would I go to someone who isn’t a doctor and doesn’t have as much experience. This kind of solidified my worries. To her you go to a Dr and follow instructions. I did that and, like you said, was possibly put on benzos for way too long. 

Thanks, @[Pa...], I appreciate you. 

Also, would reinstating increase any chance of bettering my tinnitus, or is it better to let things heal? Someone with tinnitus told me that severity might decrease if I reinstate but I’m not sure if he was just saying it could be a possibility. 

Seen multiple people who got tinnitus or had it worsen from starting/stopping benzos & ssri’s (some mentioned Zoloft so I’m wondering if that’s the culprit), and some still have it & and the same severity. 

Stress in my opinion is the greatest contributor to increased symptom severity so if you’re fighting with your mom every day, this could be ramping up your symptoms.  I hope you can find a way to let her know this isn’t good for your recovery.

I don’t know enough about your tinnitus condition to speak to it, this support group is achieved so you can’t ask questions but you can see what others have said. 

I’ve read good things about NP’s here, many members have found them to be a bit more understanding and willing to listen to their patients.  Some members of the medical profession are starting to pay attention to us and if this practice says it does, then that to me a good thing.  The only thing I would caution you about is, if they don’t adhere to a slow taper, as in along the guidelines we suggest, then they aren’t truly knowledgeable.  If what they suggest is along these guidelines I’d consider them knowledgeable 

https://corxconsortium.org/wp-content/uploads/Benzo-Deprescribing.pdf

@Pamster

Thank you for showing me that thread. 

Had a moment today due to severe nerve pain in ear/jaw/tooth. Screaming tinnitus, entire ear buzzing. 

That makes sense about the NP thing. As long as I feel comfortable w/ the plan I think it’s ok. 

Sarah 

I know the tinnitus thread is scary, I’ve had others tell its not helpful, I’m sorry if it upset you.

But remember, each of our stories are different, try as we might to find someone who matches our history we can’t gauge our recovery by theirs.  If that were the case, my recovery from my cold turkey would have turned out a lot different.  According to many, I would have ended up protracted, so we can’t seal our fate according to others experiences.

And I did want to mention that taking benzodiazepines for tinnitus can provide relief for a time, but when we become tolerant to our dose, it can re-emerge.  You stopping it to prevent worse tinnitus was probably the right decision to prevent it from happening before you had to keep raising your dose.

Jaw pain is pretty common, Professor Ashton mentions that benzo’s are good muscle relaxers, so when we stop them, our muscles aren’t happy.