Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

First cut questions

[du...]

I visited with my pcp today after a month of switching from Ativan to valium. I took my first cut today and feel very average. I was anticipating it being harder after a few day because of the long half life, compared to the day of?? Those of you that cut using a long acting benzo did you feel it the day of the cut?

• Like 2

Hoping you get some good responses, lots of people say that tapering on Valium is easier make cuts without noticing symptoms. If you're not experiencing any negative symptoms, that might just be a sign that things are going well.

• Like 1

Hi DDG

How long did you hold before cutting once you were completely crossed over? 

You may possibly be experiencing underlying withdrawal symptoms from the Ativan now that it’s gone and completely left your system. Once crossed… there is often still a withdrawal recovery that takes place underneath the valium in relation to the previous benzo. 

I’m tapering Valium, and I generally experience symptoms around day 4. 

@[Wi...]i crossed over and held for right around a month. I kind of figured that it would take a few days for me to feel the effects of the cut but yesterday I felt a bit “meh” so I was wondering if I was experiencing a placebo, or if it’s possible to have increased symptoms the day of the cut. Thanks for your reply. It’s helpful!

@[du...]  So, the taper has begun after careful preparation!

I am not tapering Valium but Clonazepam.  I just wanted to let you know that I can feel that I have cut the day of.  I don't get 'hit' until  several days later, but I feel it from the first day.

If you would like more feedback, you may want to post on the tapering board and specify Diazepam in your subject.  As it deals with crossovers, too, you may have people respond who are in your specific situation.

I wish you only the best as you begin...

Warmly,

I crossed over from Clonazepam to Diazepam. My initial dosage was 5mg, I cut 1mg per month with minimal issues until I hit 2mg then the issues started. I had severe mental and physical SX at that point so I started a liquid micro taper for the final 2mg after holding for a month.  I noticed at first the symptoms started 8 days after the initial cut with diazepam with the micro taper, now that I am down to .3mg after 80 days of daily micro cuts I have stabilized for 30 days with very limited SX. 

Everyone is different but for I me I didn't have any serious issues until I got further down my taper.

Best of luck with your taper.

@[Fa...]youre a great person and I appreciate you taking time to explain how you feel after your cut C. I have just been nervous because when I fast tapered A it obviously did not go well. After being off of it for a month and cutting V i noticed very minimal symptoms and so I am cautiously optimistic that my body is handling cutting V better than A. 

• Like 2

@[du...]  What is you crossover starting dose of Valium? What percentage have you decided reducing by? 

It sounds like you’ve done everything right in the crossover. I wouldn’t be too concerned if you did experience feeling a bit ‘meh’ that first day, whether from the reduction or just anticipation of the potential onset of symptoms. As you go through this process, it is a good thing to be aware of your symptoms as this will tell you whether to hold longer or make smaller reductions, but just be careful to not focus to much of your awareness on your symptoms too much of the time, if possible. Doing so can often exacerbate symptoms because your thoughts and feelings directly affect your nervous system and stress hormones.

Trust your taper and then just make changes wherever you feel it’s necessary, if necessary at all. 

@[Wi...]i hope you are having a good day and thank you to contributing to my thread and helping me out. I crossed over from 1mg of Ativan to 10mg of Valium. And settled on that crossover for about a month, the first few days were rocky, but I settled in. I just reduced by 25% and am taking 2.5mg of Valium in the morning and 5mg at night truth be told this is day 3 and I don’t know that I have felt a difference or the effects of the cut besides I feel more tired, which is odd??? I have been journaling and have kept track of the good, bad, and ugly. Today I actually went out to a theme park with my family and was somewhat functional. I’ll have a 10% cut in two weeks and am hoping it goes smooth. How are things going for you?

@[du...] You’re welcome.

I’m glad to hear things are going relatively smoothly. 

Just be very careful as you move forward with your taper. You seem to be doing okay so far with your initial 25% reduction, which is indeed a very large reduction, but just don’t fall into the trap of thinking you can continue getting away with such large reductions. I’m glad to hear you are looking at a next reduction of 10%, which is much more in line with what would generally be suggested. 

There isn’t anything unusual about feeling tired. Lethargy and fatigue are legitimate withdrawal symptoms. It’s encouraging to hear you aren’t experiencing a host of other more distressing symptoms. Just keep an eye on your symptoms. It is only day 3, so symptoms could potentially intensify over the next few days. I usually get hit somewhere between days 3 - 5. 

Things are pretty rough since reaching 3mg. At the moment I’m just holding to try and stabilise a bit before moving forward again, slower. 

WS