Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taper Suggestions for Xanax (& Possibly Zoloft?)

[sc...]

Hi everyone,

Long story short, I made a terrible decision and quit Xanax & Zoloft cold turkey around 20 days ago. Finally went to to my psychiatrist to discuss my meds. I’m supposed to be on the following: 

1) 2 mg Xanax XR daily (Been on Xanax for years, probably 10+ at various doses)

2) 100 mg Zoloft daily (Been on Zoloft for 3 or so months I believe? Switched to Zoloft from Prozac which I had been on since around age 12 - currently 31)

The doctor wants me to reinstate Zoloft at the same dose and Xanax XR at 1 mg.

He will not do tapers and said I need to follow this plan or seek out another Dr. don’t blame him, I’ve made stupid decisions in the past as well. 

I posted this on two benzo subreddits and many people said this plan was a bad idea. Some said it was ok reinstate then taper. 

Im looking into finding another Dr but it might take awhile. Does anyone have suggestions for a possible taper? Also, what would happen if I got back on the meds without tapering? Would I start at a lower dose? 

Also not sure how tapering/restarting Zoloft would work. These also cause withdrawal, correct? 

Thank you SO much, 

Sarah