Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Supplements

[Su...]

My cousin that works at a methadone clinic told me magnesium and L-theanine help some people with K withdrawal. 

Anyone here have experience with these? 

• Like 1

Hi @[Su...] Interestingly, I've been opioid dependent for most of my life - and can speak to this pretty well, having recently tapered and jumped off two benzos. I didn't really get into supplements until midway through my benzo taper. I WISH I would have found supplements the first time I went to treatment for Opioid WD. 

I've been taking Magnesium for sleep/muscle/bowl issues – all related to benzo WD, for about 4 months and I can say EMPHATICALLY - it works! Most people on this forum who have tried mag, have had really good luck with it. I have a couple specific recommendations I can share for types/brands. Just DM me if you want the deets. I have not taken L-theanine, but now I'm curious - maybe I'll do some research! Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Hi @[Su...] & @[ia...], I have nothing but good to say about Magnesium, and I haven't really stuck with L-Theanine but did get some that's probably not yet a year old in my cupboard.  L-theanine is the one from Green Tea I believe, but could be mistaken.  Green Tea and even black caffeine teas are said to be relaxing which was a surprise for me to read, if the article was correct. I always wonder why the shows I love to watch made in UK always offer tea to help someone relax.

Anyway, I think I started magnesium supplements when in about 2021,  and started slow, just 100mg.  Then I had no issues from 100 so I jumped to 500 2 x per day.  It very good for nerve issues like tremors I have, some neuropathy pain I get, and basically no longer have, and my tremors have lessened so much.  Much of that is also due to my ketogenic diet I'm sure.

The Mag. took away almost all of my leg cramps and pains before I started my taper, but not all so I finally decided to get the mag oil.  I had an uncomfortable ache start in my left leg, and hadn't done anything to injure it at all!  But there it was, felt like when I had the flu years ago, but this time only one leg from knee down.  Lasted until today but its almost totally gone, I ran around town today with no problem.  I suspect the magnesium cream I made helped and early this a.m. about 2 a.m. I was hurting again so I applied it straight, the mag oil.  I think that really did the trick.

I can't say how many people that would work for their needs, but it worked for me, and also audigirl, so 2 good reviews so far ;) Denise

• Like 2

1 hour ago, [[f...] said:

What kind of magnesium do you use.  Thanks.  😌😌

Hi @[fr...] sorry I didn't check my puter before now, but I use Mag citrate by Life Extension, and my jug that's 64 fluid oz. of Magnesium Chloride oil is from amazon called Horbaach's brand. Let me know if you try it on any painful area ;)  I just put more just below my knee at 3, it was a sharper pain, and it was gone within minutes.  I so hope it really is what's doing the job.  I don't take anything else except the capsule twice daily and I still had no relief til the oil.  It is greasy so a little bit massaged in absorb pretty good ;) Denise

I would be careful of the gummies as I am not sure, but if they contain sugar, sugar is flammatory, which inflamation causes pain. Maybe not enough to hurt, but check these things out good, as well as the magnesium.  Everyone, really do your homework ;), Denise:smitten:

@[ia...] I would be interested to know what brand/product of magnesium that you found to be relieving. I start my taper tomorrow and want to be prepared if things go south.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [[S...] said:

My cousin that works at a methadone clinic told me magnesium and L-theanine help some people with K withdrawal. 

Anyone here have experience with these? 

I had severe insomnia when tapering another med and then tried high quality magnesium glycinate. Helped my sleep immediately by a couple of hours a night.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

5 hours ago, [[d...] said:

@[ia...] I would be interested to know what brand/product of magnesium that you found to be relieving. I start my taper tomorrow and want to be prepared if things go south.

Hi @[du...] The brand I'm using is by 'Horbaach' - 'Magnesium Oxide' 865 mg. I know the dose sounds high, but it's important to note that most people are deficient in mag and... similar to vitamin c, most people can take magnesium to 'bowel tolerance'. (LMK if you want details on what 'bowel tolerance'.) I take one capsule with dinner, and another an hour before bed. You can find the supplement I recommended on Amazon. Also highly recommend Epsom salts baths (also magnesium). @[or...] has been using a mag oil that she uses with her body lotion and it's absorbed in the skin. That’s another option. Sending you lots of good energy as you embark on your taper. Let us know how you’re doing.

• Like 1

hey, wanted to let you all know that I am not liking putting the oil on straight, without the moisturizer at night.  It's too sticky/greasy, even just a little, for me. It will be just Epsom Salt baths at night unless I end up with more aching/pain. Mine is completely gone now. 

I did notice also I put a bit too much in my moisturizer, so next time I'll put a little less on my bod!  Trial and error, we are our own "mad scientists" and maybe I shouldn't say "we", but I know I am my own guinea pig sometimes ;) Denise:smitten::hug:

I don't know either. I do have the feeling that we're all among the early waves of people caught up in these drugs....a tidal wave is coming.