Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Switching from 2 mg lorazepam to diazrpam for taper

[VE...]

Been on 2 mg ativan for 1 year prior to that 12 years of ambien. I take it at night for insomnia and while it is working I am starting to feel the withdrawal around mid day . I feel it is time to get off this once and for all though I realize what's ahead I feel this med is harming me. My nurse practitioner mentioned switching to valium not for the taper but just to replace the ativan. I haven't informed her yet of my plans to taper so I hope she is on board with this. Can I use a milk taper with the valium? How long and how much ativan do I keep taking st the beginning because i know I can't just stop ativan cold and start the valium by itself. Thanks for your time and any advice you have.

Informed my NP of my desire to start taper soon but she only wants to give me 10 mg of valium to start. Which is not the equivalent of 2 mgs ativan. Any suggestions?

Can you have a conversation about this with your NP?  You're absolutely right that 10mg  diazepam (Valium) is not equivalent to 2mg lorazepam (Ativan). The equivalent would be 20mg Valium according to this table https://www.benzoinfo.com/benzodiazepine-tapering-strategies/#conversion-rates-for-benzodiazepines

It's possible to taper directly from Ativan but there are some arguments for crossing over  from a short acting benzo like Ativan to a longer acting benzo like Valium.  If you choose to make the switch we recommend it be done gradually.  This is an important initial step before you even begin to taper.  You want to be sure you give yourself plenty of time to acclimate to the new benzo first.  Sedation and depression can be issues at first after crossover to Valium but we generally see members adjust and those symptoms fade gradually once you acclimate to the Valium. 

I crossed from 1.5 mgs of Ativan to 15mgs of valium without much of a problem. The initial days of the cross were  tough, but once the valium had built up in my system, things went fine. But I was crossing to the right dose of valium!!  I urge you to talk to your NP and show her something definitive to support the equivalence. Or make her show YOU what she's using, because it's wrong. It's so important to set yourself up for success right from the start. 

Best wishes.

Thank you for the input guys, I have actually found a NP that uses the ashton method. Wish me luck. How bad of a switch are we talking? The depression talk kinda scares me I've never been depressed going through any of this.

@[VE...] I didn't find the switch bad . . . a little challenging until the valium built up in my system (I felt a little squirrely due to the ebbing of Ativan). But I felt pretty "even" after I started on valium. And it never made me depressed although I have read that it does others. Everyone's different.

Say, good on you for finding an NP who uses the Ashton schedules. Just make sure she crosses you to the right amount of valium. And I suggest taking your sweet time to cross -- definitely refer to the AS for that. No rush . . . not problem. 

Best wishes.

I imagine you can just substitute that dose, gradually of course, it’s amazing you aren’t dealing with interdose  Just so you know, Valium comes in liquid form from the manufacturer but the 2 mg tablets should get you through unless you need to slow way down.