Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Klonopin Withdrawal, Any Help Appreciated

[em...]

@[pr...] Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. Do you mind me asking a few more questions about it? You said that it has been five years now. How long did it take post-rehab to begin to feel "normal" again? When did the side effects subside? Did you have any help getting through the long-term withdrawals or were you doing it on your own? Also, I don't mean to nit pick, I am just trying to get a whole picture before I make a decision here, can you walk me through all of the symptoms that you were experiencing? If you did it again, would you taper instead? Any additional details about your experience would be SO appreciated. I cannot tell you how difficult it is for me to make this decision, especially with it delaying my ability to get pregnant. 

1 hour ago, [[e...] said:

@[he...] Quick question, what do you mean by benzo injury? Will the dysphagia go away once I am off of the drug? 

@[em...], most of what many of us experience is more benzo injury than withdrawal. The symptoms are a result of neuroadaptations that take time for the body to reverse after getting off the drug. It's very likely your dysphagia will go away at some point after coming off the benzo unless it is caused by another condition.

5 hours ago, [[e...] said:

@[pr...] Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. Do you mind me asking a few more questions about it? You said that it has been five years now. How long did it take post-rehab to begin to feel "normal" again? When did the side effects subside? Did you have any help getting through the long-term withdrawals or were you doing it on your own? Also, I don't mean to nit pick, I am just trying to get a whole picture before I make a decision here, can you walk me through all of the symptoms that you were experiencing? If you did it again, would you taper instead? Any additional details about your experience would be SO appreciated. I cannot tell you how difficult it is for me to make this decision, especially with it delaying my ability to get pregnant. 

Hello,

It took me about 18 months to feel somewhat normal post rehab. The side effects lasted around 3 years or more but I was able to function enough to get by. I am retired so I did not have to go to work and interact with people. Thank God!!! I had zero help getting through the long term withdrawals because nobody around here knows anything about benzos except how to prescribe them like candy. If I had to do it again I would definitely taper. I was only on .25 mg twice a day and the cold turkey floored me anyway. 

I do not remember all the symptoms but I will list what I do remember. Anxiety, fear, insomnia, tachycardia, dizziness, ear pain, tinnitus, insomnia, burning skin, noise sensitivity, forgetfulness, tired, low body temperature, heat and cold intolerance, forgetfulness, exercise intolerance, unable to drive on the highway. That is all I remember and I am sure there were more. I am basically healed now. 

Your case may be different so I hope you are able to come off with zero side effects. 

• Like 2

@[em...] I just read through your post/comments and must agree with everyone on avoiding both rehab and a very rapid taper. I, cluelessly, started my 1mg Clon taper on 12.02.22 by cutting 0.25 mg as ordered by my therapist (idiot). You can imagine my reaction. I quickly discovered BB and many lovely members here, including @[he...] and @[Wi...], pointed me in the right direction. I was utterly lost and wanted off immediately. Unfortunately, I found I could only handle a 5% per month cut after a few larger reduction “mistakes”. Everyone is a bit different, but the 5-10% per month hyperbolic taper will most likely be in your best interest. Some can cut up to 20% per month (of last dose), but others with more experience could comment on that.

I do understand your deep desire to get pregnant, but I’ve learned from others who were “rehabbed” (rapidly tapered, as is done at these facilities), you will most likely suffer more, and often longer, moving too quickly. I know a lot of people now who were rapidly tapered and most, if not all, are still suffering serious benzodiazepine injury symptoms years out. The way I see it, if we’re in that unlucky 10-20% who suffer benzo injury/withdrawal symptoms, we’re probably going to suffer whether we go slowly or rapidly, but what research is out there shows that rapid is much harder to recover from. You want your body to be as healthy as possible for a pregnancy. Taking a year or so to taper while eating clean, exercising as much as possible, practicing coping skills, having a great support network and the means to provide for yourself, will get your mind and body prepared for a healthy pregnancy. A rapid taper probably won’t. We can’t predict the future, but we can learn from others. I certainly have. 

Of course, I wish you the best in whatever taper strategy you choose. All of us want off these vile drugs as quickly as humanly possible. The incredible time it takes to safely taper is exhausting. I get it. You’ll figure it out. Lots of caring help here. That said, you could have very few symptoms tapering at a faster than normal pace. I hope that’s true, but better to see how much your body can handle before jumping into a terribly fast taper.

C

Edited by [CK...]
Added a line

On 15/08/2023 at 02:32, [[e...] said:

I am in Oregon, too!! So, I have been on 1mg of Klonopin per day for 5.5 years now. Unfortunately, I—like many others from Los Angeles—got hooked on benzos because of the culture down there. Everyone is on them. I never needed to be on them on a daily basis, but my psychiatrist insisted. Five years later, here I am: three years of wanting to get off of them, and a year of trying unsuccessfully. My 10% taper is off of 1mg. I do well for about 2-3 weeks, but then the withdrawal symptoms kick in and it does not go well. I am looking into a detox/rehabilitation facility to help me expedite the process. 

I’m in SW Washington. Do you guys know if there are any local support groups?

• 5 months later...
[Gi...]
On 30/08/2023 at 22:25, [[p...] said:

Hello,

It took me about 18 months to feel somewhat normal post rehab. The side effects lasted around 3 years or more but I was able to function enough to get by. I am retired so I did not have to go to work and interact with people. Thank God!!! I had zero help getting through the long term withdrawals because nobody around here knows anything about benzos except how to prescribe them like candy. If I had to do it again I would definitely taper. I was only on .25 mg twice a day and the cold turkey floored me anyway. 

I do not remember all the symptoms but I will list what I do remember. Anxiety, fear, insomnia, tachycardia, dizziness, ear pain, tinnitus, insomnia, burning skin, noise sensitivity, forgetfulness, tired, low body temperature, heat and cold intolerance, forgetfulness, exercise intolerance, unable to drive on the highway. That is all I remember and I am sure there were more. I am basically healed now. 

Your case may be different so I hope you are able to come off with zero side effects. 

@[pr...]

Hi Preachergirl,

I have read through your thread and well first of all I’m very pleased that you made some excellent improvements and are healed.

I read that back in 2021 you wrote that you experienced rib pain and back spasms. Did these symptoms resolve entirely for you?

Thank you 🙏❤️

[pr...]

Hello

I am healed from back spasms and pain under the ribs. I am doing well with the exception of internal vibrations and fatigue when I over do it at times. I will probably recover from all of this eventually. It's just that I have to do a lot of teaching and preaching and I have a tendency to give 200%. Also every now and again my sleep gets messed up but only for a day or two.

I pray you are doing well and be encouraged!

PG

• Like 2

[Gi...]
On 03/03/2024 at 00:47, [[p...] said:

Hello

I am healed from back spasms and pain under the ribs. I am doing well with the exception of internal vibrations and fatigue when I over do it at times. I will probably recover from all of this eventually. It's just that I have to do a lot of teaching and preaching and I have a tendency to give 200%. Also every now and again my sleep gets messed up but only for a day or two.

I pray you are doing well and be encouraged!

PG

Thank you so much @[pr...] for replying. I’m having terrible spasms that make the tour around my torso, back and ribs and it’s so painful. Hopefully I will recover too. 

Edited by [Gi...]